You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Our free kicks/corners.
January 30 2023 12.15pm

Our free kicks/corners.

Previous Topic | Next Topic


 

View Casual's Profile Casual Flag Orpington 15 Jan 23 5.53pm Send a Private Message to Casual Add Casual as a friend

I canít remember being more disinterested, than I am now , when we get a fee kick around the box or corner.
We had a few at the end of todays game, they were a complete waste of time. We had some big fellas on at the end aswell.
Whoís in charge of organising these at Palace ?
My mate was first team coach at QPR this season, heís at Glasgow Rangers now, hes in charge of set pieces and was getting a real good bonus anytime QPR scored one.
We just look devoid of any ideas, Bournemouth aside.
How about a few near post flicks, we used to score loads of them in the 90s/00s.
Donít know the stats ,but they canít be good.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 16 Jan 23 8.30am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

I think the are getting better.

Bournemouth aside, but we did score 2 seat piece goals that game.... and Schupp nearly scored yesterday.

I think half the problem is that we don't really have anyone to put their head on it. Out 2 CB's are hardly brilliant in the air

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 16 Jan 23 11.06am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by Casual

I canít remember being more disinterested, than I am now , when we get a fee kick around the box or corner.
We had a few at the end of todays game, they were a complete waste of time. We had some big fellas on at the end aswell.
Whoís in charge of organising these at Palace ?
My mate was first team coach at QPR this season, heís at Glasgow Rangers now, hes in charge of set pieces and was getting a real good bonus anytime QPR scored one.
We just look devoid of any ideas, Bournemouth aside.
How about a few near post flicks, we used to score loads of them in the 90s/00s.
Donít know the stats ,but they canít be good.

been saying this for years - also throw ins. We look clueless.

We rarely score and we concede too many.
The 2 centre backs mark their equivalents so any decent size centre forward is marked by someone a lot smaller. I've lost count of the amount of time Clyne is marking a 6 ft equivalent.

I watched Brentford on TV this weekend and at corners all 6 or so players stand at the far corner of the 6 yard box before moving late - they are the top scorers from corners this season.

England in the 2018 WC had 4 players in a line who then all moved late, causing loads of problems.

It is not rocket science to come up with a bit of variety and imagination.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View soulboy's Profile soulboy Flag Lewisham 16 Jan 23 11.14am Send a Private Message to soulboy Add soulboy as a friend

Throw-ins are embarrassing and have been for a number of seasons now. Not sure why we can't focus on this aspect of our game for an hour or two in training every week as other clubs seem to be getting it right.

 


"Deviance is a freedom enjoyed in a city of lightly engaged strangers"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View VinceHilaire's Profile VinceHilaire Flag London 16 Jan 23 11.16am Send a Private Message to VinceHilaire Add VinceHilaire as a friend

Originally posted by soulboy

Throw-ins are embarrassing and have been for a number of seasons now. Not sure why we can't focus on this aspect of our game for an hour or two in training every week as other clubs seem to be getting it right.

AgreedÖ..just watch WardÖI rarely see any of his throws reach a Palace playerÖ

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 16 Jan 23 11.20am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by soulboy

Throw-ins are embarrassing and have been for a number of seasons now. Not sure why we can't focus on this aspect of our game for an hour or two in training every week as other clubs seem to be getting it right.

I counted two of our throw-ins which were hurled straight at an opposition player.
Liverpool have a specialist throw-in coach, Thomas Gronnemark, who also works for other clubs.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Online Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 16 Jan 23 11.36am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

It's a far worse problem than anyone here is stating. The bare facts are, we were near the top of these stats a few seasons ago. We're now near the bottom, we concede more and we score less.
That might not seem so bad - however, it's almost criminally negligent. Zaha wins the most free kicks consistently of anyone in the league, Ayew is right up there too. That means we should use free kicks as a weapon as we get a lot of them. Instead, Roy, in particular seemed disinterested in them. It looks like we're working on them now. That's at least a couple of seasons too late.
Do we have analysts? They should have flagged this seasons ago.

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View waddy's Profile waddy Flag Highton,Melbourne 18 Jan 23 7.19am Send a Private Message to waddy Add waddy as a friend

Iíd rather Ayew / Zaha not look to go to ground but stay up.Yes if they get tripped of pulled down they canít but many times they go easy.

As for throw ins I do let Pat know this as I sit near him.
We win a throw in - we walk to get the ball - we take our time to allow opponents to get back in their position
We then do not face the ball we look away disinterested
We do not run off our marker to create space or open a gap
Then Ward or Mitchell or Olise look in dismay as to say who the hell wants the ball ?
Throw is taken we loose possession
Either no one is ready or too afraid to head the ball in a challenge

Just observations that see week in week out
Not sure what the coaching staff see

 


Forever Palace Proud

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View aashman12's Profile aashman12 Flag 18 Jan 23 7.58am Send a Private Message to aashman12 Add aashman12 as a friend

Originally posted by Casual

I canít remember being more disinterested, than I am now , when we get a fee kick around the box or corner.
We had a few at the end of todays game, they were a complete waste of time. We had some big fellas on at the end aswell.
Whoís in charge of organising these at Palace ?
My mate was first team coach at QPR this season, heís at Glasgow Rangers now, hes in charge of set pieces and was getting a real good bonus anytime QPR scored one.
We just look devoid of any ideas, Bournemouth aside.
How about a few near post flicks, we used to score loads of them in the 90s/00s.
Donít know the stats ,but they canít be good.

Bournemouth was a freak show defensively, we wouldn't score those 2 goals vs any other prem team, we even game them a preview ofbthe eze goal minutes earlier.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 18 Jan 23 9.24am Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Looking at the balance of the squad the only surprise to me is that we haven't conceded more from them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 18 Jan 23 9.42am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by waddy

Iíd rather Ayew / Zaha not look to go to ground but stay up.Yes if they get tripped of pulled down they canít but many times they go easy.

As for throw ins I do let Pat know this as I sit near him.
We win a throw in - we walk to get the ball - we take our time to allow opponents to get back in their position
We then do not face the ball we look away disinterested
We do not run off our marker to create space or open a gap
Then Ward or Mitchell or Olise look in dismay as to say who the hell wants the ball ?
Throw is taken we loose possession
Either no one is ready or too afraid to head the ball in a challenge

Just observations that see week in week out
Not sure what the coaching staff see

You are not wrong!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 22 Jan 23 5.10pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

I counted two of our throw-ins which were hurled straight at an opposition player.
Liverpool have a specialist throw-in coach, Thomas Gronnemark, who also works for other clubs.

Watching the Liverpool v Chelsea game yesterday, I watched a Liverpool player take a throw in trying to find a team mate in the middle rather than up or down the touch lines. I was taught not to do that when I was 8 years old !

And it nearly led to a goal scoring opportunity for Chelsea !

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 


Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Our free kicks/corners.