You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Harris & Blitzer Interested in Utd
March 21 2023 2.09am

Harris & Blitzer Interested in Utd

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

 

View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 22 Jan 23 1.12am Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

Months after their attempt to buy Chelsea failed, two of our co-owners, Josh Harris & David Blitzer are reportedly now interested in buying shares in Manchester United to effectively prop up the Glazers. Link below.

[Link]

Assuming this is true, I wonder if I'm alone in hoping that these two sell their shares in our club as soon as possible. Textor can go too.

These people are not interested in our club, they are investors who regard Palace as little more than a financial opportunity.

The only significant member of our ownership hierarchy who has the actual best interests of the club at heart is Steve Parish.

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elpis's Profile Elpis Flag In a pub 23 Jan 23 8.38am Send a Private Message to Elpis Add Elpis as a friend

Not sure what the current rules are with regard 'minority shares' as opposed to owning clubs but it certainly doesn't feel right and that they are considering the deal is enough for me to demand they sell their Palace shares asap and never darken our doorstep again

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 23 Jan 23 8.59am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace

Months after their attempt to buy Chelsea failed, two of our co-owners, Josh Harris & David Blitzer are reportedly now interested in buying shares in Manchester United to effectively prop up the Glazers. Link below.

[Link]

Assuming this is true, I wonder if I'm alone in hoping that these two sell their shares in our club as soon as possible. Textor can go too.

These people are not interested in our club, they are investors who regard Palace as little more than a financial opportunity.

The only significant member of our ownership hierarchy who has the actual best interests of the club at heart is Steve Parish.

Surely that's the case with virtually every investor in every club. I'm never clear about what fans realistically want or expect. They sometimes want an incredibly wealthy person to pump money into the club so that we rise up the league, qualify for Europe and win things (provided our ticket prices don't go up and provided we can still watch matches on illegal streams without actually contributing to the club at all). Then they want that incredibly wealthy person to (basically) be a Palace fan. No chance!

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 23 Jan 23 9.15am Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace

Months after their attempt to buy Chelsea failed, two of our co-owners, Josh Harris & David Blitzer are reportedly now interested in buying shares in Manchester United to effectively prop up the Glazers. Link below.

[Link]

Assuming this is true, I wonder if I'm alone in hoping that these two sell their shares in our club as soon as possible. Textor can go too.

These people are not interested in our club, they are investors who regard Palace as little more than a financial opportunity.

The only significant member of our ownership hierarchy who has the actual best interests of the club at heart is Steve Parish.

So why does he take 2.6m a year salary, he is worth 65m

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way, to Blockbuster


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sydtheeagle's Profile sydtheeagle Flag England 23 Jan 23 9.28am Send a Private Message to sydtheeagle Add sydtheeagle as a friend

Harris and Textor are no more interested in Man Utd as a football club than they are in Palace (or any other club). These are investors; they are simply pursuing the investment likely to yield the greatest return. That's what investors do.

They view a football club primarily as a content generator (Blitzer is on record as saying this). There is an inexhaustible appetite for content in today's world and a lot of broadcasting hours to fill so the demand is there, and allied to that is where the real value lies; media rights.

Quite obviously, compared to Palace's, the demand for Man Utd. content and the potential value of Man Utd's media rights far outstrips Palaces.

Basically, there are two and maybe three types of owners these days:

1. Sovereign wealth funds (Newcastle, Man City) or billionaires (Abramovich, Usmanov). These owners are generally motivated by ego or self-aggrandizement (either through promoting a message (sports washing) or themselves). They're so rich they don't have to worry about RoI although they'll take it if they can get it.

2. Investors (Harris, Blitzer, the Glazers, etc.). These owners are primarily motivated by increasing the value of the investment but have no historical loyalty to the underlying club itself. They want to achieve sporting glory, but that comes after financial return.

3. Traditional owners (Delia Smith, formerly Simon Jordan, other football league clubs) who have mostly disappeared from both the PL and even the Championship because they simply lack the monetary resources to compete at the sharp end of the pyramid.

Whoever owns Palace now or next, they'll almost certainly fit into category 1 or category 2 above. Better get used to it. We're not going to have another owner who's emotionally committed to the club unless we find ourselves back in League 2.

Edited by sydtheeagle (23 Jan 2023 9.29am)

 


Sydenham by birth. Selhurst by the Grace of God.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 23 Jan 23 9.40am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by sydtheeagle

Harris and Textor are no more interested in Man Utd as a football club than they are in Palace (or any other club). These are investors; they are simply pursuing the investment likely to yield the greatest return. That's what investors do.

They view a football club primarily as a content generator (Blitzer is on record as saying this). There is an inexhaustible appetite for content in today's world and a lot of broadcasting hours to fill so the demand is there, and allied to that is where the real value lies; media rights.

Quite obviously, compared to Palace's, the demand for Man Utd. content and the potential value of Man Utd's media rights far outstrips Palaces.

Basically, there are two and maybe three types of owners these days:

1. Sovereign wealth funds (Newcastle, Man City) or billionaires (Abramovich, Usmanov). These owners are generally motivated by ego or self-aggrandizement (either through promoting a message (sports washing) or themselves). They're so rich they don't have to worry about RoI although they'll take it if they can get it.

2. Investors (Harris, Blitzer, the Glazers, etc.). These owners are primarily motivated by increasing the value of the investment but have no historical loyalty to the underlying club itself. They want to achieve sporting glory, but that comes after financial return.

3. Traditional owners (Delia Smith, formerly Simon Jordan, other football league clubs) who have mostly disappeared from both the PL and even the Championship because they simply lack the monetary resources to compete at the sharp end of the pyramid.

Whoever owns Palace now or next, they'll almost certainly fit into category 1 or category 2 above. Better get used to it. We're not going to have another owner who's emotionally committed to the club unless we find ourselves back in League 2.

Edited by sydtheeagle (23 Jan 2023 9.29am)

I had intended to post similar sentiments but you have expressed my viewpoint far more eloquently than I would have done.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 23 Jan 23 9.51am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by sydtheeagle

Harris and Textor are no more interested in Man Utd as a football club than they are in Palace (or any other club). These are investors; they are simply pursuing the investment likely to yield the greatest return. That's what investors do.

They view a football club primarily as a content generator (Blitzer is on record as saying this). There is an inexhaustible appetite for content in today's world and a lot of broadcasting hours to fill so the demand is there, and allied to that is where the real value lies; media rights.

Quite obviously, compared to Palace's, the demand for Man Utd. content and the potential value of Man Utd's media rights far outstrips Palaces.

Basically, there are two and maybe three types of owners these days:

1. Sovereign wealth funds (Newcastle, Man City) or billionaires (Abramovich, Usmanov). These owners are generally motivated by ego or self-aggrandizement (either through promoting a message (sports washing) or themselves). They're so rich they don't have to worry about RoI although they'll take it if they can get it.

2. Investors (Harris, Blitzer, the Glazers, etc.). These owners are primarily motivated by increasing the value of the investment but have no historical loyalty to the underlying club itself. They want to achieve sporting glory, but that comes after financial return.

3. Traditional owners (Delia Smith, formerly Simon Jordan, other football league clubs) who have mostly disappeared from both the PL and even the Championship because they simply lack the monetary resources to compete at the sharp end of the pyramid.

Whoever owns Palace now or next, they'll almost certainly fit into category 1 or category 2 above. Better get used to it. We're not going to have another owner who's emotionally committed to the club unless we find ourselves back in League 2.

Edited by sydtheeagle (23 Jan 2023 9.29am)

That's how I see it too.

If I was a betting man ( I'm not ! ), my money would be on Category 2 from the above, with Textor's company being our future owner.

Comparing Textor with Harris and Blitzer, from what I know, Textor is at least a genuine football fan with some knowledge of the game. Unlike the other two. That's not to lose sight of the fact that he's in it to make a return on his investments.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 23 Jan 23 10.19am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

it is pretty clear that Josh Harris & David Blitzer are not long term investors in Palace. They came in at a good time and allowed the 4 original owners to sell a % of shares to get some/all of their money back.

The 4 CPFC2010 owners whilst wealthy could not drive the club forwarded and if that arrangement had remained in place things like covid may have had a greater impact on the club. However, it was great that we had 4 local supporters owning the club and not taking a penny out.

However, after a few years of ownership i suspect they have realised that there is limited, if any, money to be made out of their investment in the club. We are just not big enough and will not compete in Europe etc. Personally i could have told them that before years ago!

However, they still own c30% of the club i think so if they were to leave then someone would need to purchase these shares.

The only viable option is Textor. He appears to have the money and seems quite committed to Palace.
His money was critical last summer so i am of the opinion we should give the bloke the benefit of doubt.

In terms of SP for all the benefits he gives the club his salary is now excessive and that is disappointing. The fact that we have such a large wage bill and this has clearly restricted our transfer dealings in recent years is also on him. He bought Sakho when we didn't have a manager as an example - total cost c50m??

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sydtheeagle's Profile sydtheeagle Flag England 23 Jan 23 12.02pm Send a Private Message to sydtheeagle Add sydtheeagle as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

Comparing Textor with Harris and Blitzer, from what I know, Textor is at least a genuine football fan with some knowledge of the game. Unlike the other two. That's not to lose sight of the fact that he's in it to make a return on his investments.

Again Neillo, bang on. I think you're absolutely right. There's probably a very slim chance that out of the blue, some party from category one suddenly decides that if it wants to get into the PL, Palace may be its best bet (and the only option available) but more likely we'll end up with a new owner from category two and Textor is definitely, at present at least, in the driving seat. And I think your summary of what sort of owner he'd likely be is pretty much correct too. Plus, better the devil you know.

I think it's highly likely that right now, Textor is trying to raise the funds necessary to acquire majority ownership of Palace and I'd be very surprised if the channels of communication with Harris, Blitzer, and Parish weren't open towards finding ways for that to happen. When you have a willing buyer and a motivated seller, you can usually find a way to make a deal happen. Harris and Blitzer's interest in Man Utd adds urgency to the situation and is another motivating factor.

 


Sydenham by birth. Selhurst by the Grace of God.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 23 Jan 23 12.24pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

It would be hilarious for Man U to get rid of the Glazers and end up with Harris and Blitzer.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 23 Jan 23 1.45pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

It would be hilarious for Man U to get rid of the Glazers and end up with Harris and Blitzer.


My understanding of the rumours is that H & B are interested in a minority stake in Man U in SUPPORT of the Glazers. I assume the intention is that H & B will pay the Glazers an agreed sum to come on board. Reading between the lines it seems the Glazers want to raise some money for some other purpose.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sydtheeagle's Profile sydtheeagle Flag England 23 Jan 23 5.50pm Send a Private Message to sydtheeagle Add sydtheeagle as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


My understanding of the rumours is that H & B are interested in a minority stake in Man U in SUPPORT of the Glazers. I assume the intention is that H & B will pay the Glazers an agreed sum to come on board. Reading between the lines it seems the Glazers want to raise some money for some other purpose.

The "other purpose" isn't anything nefarious. Do you have any idea what it will cost to rebuild Old Trafford? They've got a bill of around 2 billion coming up in the next few years in order to do that so of course they're seeking additional investors. They'd likely be happy to sell a decent-sized minority share of the club to Harris and Blitzer to raise the money.

The numbers make sense. Broadly, Man Utd's annual revenue is 600M. The club is supposedly valued at 4 blllion which values it at a multiple of around 6 (seems a bit high to me, but this is football). So 1 billion would buy Harris and Blitzer around 15% of Man Utd, and instantly raise half the funds needed for the Old Trafford rebuild that the Glazers need. Win/win for all parties (except Palace).

It's an excellent deal for Harris and Blitzer. If Utd's revenue is 600m now in a s***ty, outdated stadium, in a larger rebuilt stadium with hospitality facilities that actually met demand (which for Man Utd is huge) plus another era of success on the pitch, it's easy enough to see revenues increasing to 800-900 million a year. And then there's the fact that media rights are increasing too. H&B would recoup their investment and make a profit in no time. Seen purely from a financial point of view, this is probably a much better play for them than Chelsea, let alone Palace.


Edited by sydtheeagle (23 Jan 2023 5.55pm)

 


Sydenham by birth. Selhurst by the Grace of God.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Harris & Blitzer Interested in Utd