You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Views on PV
January 30 2023 11.57am

Views on PV

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 22 Jan 23 3.09pm Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

Pats improved our playing style no doubt, however we play a lot of long balls. Even without Anderson yesterday we were playing from back to front a hell of a of a lot and invariably losing the ball. We Continually kept pumping balls up to the forwards and getting beat. I could not understand the number of balls including long kicks from Guaita to the side Dan Burn was playing. Barely any of our forwards generally even bother jumping. Our play is so basic.

Our possession stats are not what they were either. We run the fewest distance in the prem, and score the fewest goals from open play. A lot needs to be done with this team. Can't all be down to Gallager surely


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 22 Jan 23 3.12pm Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

Originally posted by MonsterMunch

Pats improved our playing style no doubt, however we play a lot of long balls. Even without Anderson yesterday we were playing from back to front a hell of a of a lot and invariably losing the ball. We Continually kept pumping balls up to the forwards and getting beat. I could not understand the number of balls including long kicks from Guaita to the side Dan Burn was playing. Barely any of our forwards generally even bother jumping. Our play is so basic.

Our possession stats are not what they were either. We run the fewest distance in the prem, and score the fewest goals from open play. A lot needs to be done with this team. Can't all be down to Gallager surely

The way he wants to play Viera needs 2 x new fullbacks, a Gallagher clone and a goalscorer then we can judge him imo.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 22 Jan 23 3.23pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

What exactly do you expect? PV has actually done better league positionally than Roy, who originally inherited a decent squad. When that side was run down and out of contract PV had to pick up the pieces and start over.

Roy was a very good manager, 15 clubs, 3 international sides, only sacked twice, yes, he had over 100m to pick up the pieces, most were finished the previous season, and the one player he should have kept, Kouyate, he didnt.

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 22 Jan 23 3.32pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

Do you though? I'm starting to wonder.

I think Vieira has done enough for us to give him some patience. He has overseen the overhaul of the squad and transitioned the team to playing in a new way without us ever seriously looking in threat of being drawn into a relegation fight. Guehi and Mitchell both received England call-ups under his watch and Olise has been eased into the PL and has been improving. I'm not about to build a statue, but I'm happy with him at the helm.

Edited by taylors lovechild (22 Jan 2023 2.11pm)

He isn't a very good manager, we dont know yet, he is new and needs to learn, the way of playing is his choice, is the style the best for the players we have? thats what a very good manager does, time will tell, could be good, could be incapable of putting what he wants to do before the best interest of the club

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 22 Jan 23 3.37pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

He did a very good job last year, incorporating lots of new players and a very different way of playing whilst maintaining a healthy midtable position (and a cup run, although they happen more by mistake these days).

This year we have maintained a reasonable midtable position but not been anything like as good to watch. You would hope the team would be more cohesive in a managers second year, but the opposite is true, at least as an attacking force.

For me, the issue is the quality and type of attacking player at the managers disposal. For a decade we've played defensive football and relied on moments of individual endeavour to get goals. Each of Zaha, Bolasie, Townsend, Ayew, Edouard etc wants (or wanted) the ball to feet so they can improvise. None of them make good runs off the ball to make sharp forward passing possible, or have any great gift for combination play.

That didn't matter so much until we started trying to have more of the ball. Our periods of possession and pressure come around more often now, but only serve to illustrate how infrequently our forwards are capable of coordinated movement or combinations. One of the forwards coming towards our midfield asking for the ball to feet is common, but how often do you see a well timed run behind the opponents defence? One of the forwards trying to find a way past two or three opponents (often without success) happens almost every time we attack, but you can wait weeks to see a simple one-two passing combination. In fact, one and two touch pass and move football in the opposition half appears to be an alien concept.

Pundits say that individualistic players are hard to play against because they are unpredictable, but actually they are entirely predictable - every time they get they will try and beat you by themselves, and if they can't, they will hold the ball for far too long before releasing it so the momentum of the attack disappears.

That's why we've scored so infrequently, but the manager only has the players he has.

I'd like to see a post-Zaha Palace involve at least one forward who runs off the ball at pace, and a midfielder who times runs into space. We can then develop a team around football intelligence and movement as well as individual endeavour, which will get the best from Eze and Olise. Both players are capable of beating their man occasionally, but we aren't getting any benefit from their passing range and awareness at the moment.

All the time that Vieira has to select from Ayew, Edouard and Mateta, I find it hard to criticise him for our stodgy forward play.


Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.44pm)

Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.46pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CT Charlie's Profile CT Charlie Flag 22 Jan 23 3.48pm Send a Private Message to CT Charlie Add CT Charlie as a friend

I'm pro-PV. I think he has earned the respect of a team that isn't necessarily easy to work with. Our inconsistency and lack of focus is to be expected from a team so young.

In terms of talent, we have one excellent attacker, one excellent midfielder, and two excellent defenders (three if Mitchell is healthy and rested), however "excellent" (except for the complicated Wilf) means "would start at most PL teams outside the top 8" Ė not necessarily excel.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Runningman's Profile Runningman Flag Keston 22 Jan 23 3.55pm Send a Private Message to Runningman Add Runningman as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

He did a very good job last year, incorporating lots of new players and a very different way of playing whilst maintaining a healthy midtable position (and a cup run, although they happen more by mistake these days).

This year we have maintained a reasonable midtable position but not been anything like as good to watch. You would hope the team would be more cohesive in a managers second year, but the opposite is true, at least as an attacking force.

For me, the issue is the quality and type of attacking player at the managers disposal. For a decade we've played defensive football and relied on moments of individual endeavour to get goals. Each of Zaha, Bolasie, Townsend, Ayew, Edouard etc wants (or wanted) the ball to feet so they can improvise. None of them make good runs off the ball to make sharp forward passing possible, or have any great gift for combination play.

That didn't matter so much until we started trying to have more of the ball. Our periods of possession and pressure come around more often now, but only serve to illustrate how infrequently our forwards are capable of coordinated movement or combinations. One of the forwards coming towards our midfield asking for the ball to feet is common, but how often do you see a well timed run behind the opponents defence? One of the forwards trying to find a way past two or three opponents (often without success) happens almost every time we attack, but you can wait weeks to see a simple one-two passing combination. In fact, one and two touch pass and move football in the opposition half appears to be an alien concept.

Pundits say that individualistic players are hard to play against because they are unpredictable, but actually they are entirely predictable - every time they get they will try and beat you by themselves, and if they can't, they will hold the ball for far too long before releasing it so the momentum of the attack disappears.

That's why we've scored so infrequently, but the manager only has the players he has.

I'd like to see a post-Zaha Palace involve at least one forward who runs off the ball at pace, and a midfielder who times runs into space. We can then develop a team around football intelligence and movement as well as individual endeavour, which will get the best from Eze and Olise. Both players are capable of beating their man occasionally, but we aren't getting any benefit from their passing range and awareness at the moment.

All the time that Vieira has to select from Ayew, Edouard and Mateta, I find it hard to criticise him for our stodgy forward play.


Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.44pm)

Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.46pm)


Zaha isnít half the player he was last year. Donít want to write him off but I think we looked a lot more mobile after he was subbed off yesterday.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View rikz's Profile rikz Flag Croydon 22 Jan 23 4.03pm Send a Private Message to rikz Add rikz as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Roy was a very good manager, 15 clubs, 3 international sides, only sacked twice, yes, he had over 100m to pick up the pieces, most were finished the previous season, and the one player he should have kept, Kouyate, he didnt.

Since when ? Stuck Roberto Carlos in midfield, Harry kane on corners haha that tells you everything you need to know about him, terrible at Liverpool, you wouldn't have his career if you was bad but I definitely wouldn't describe him as good and playing for a draw at home to struggling teams in the league. No thanks

Viera is doing a great job, managers always need 3 years to build their own squad. Unless things are going drastically wrong then you keep them. If things go drastically right they usually get a bigger club. It would make no sense at all to get rid of viera and no chance the club would anyway.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 22 Jan 23 4.09pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

He did a very good job last year, incorporating lots of new players and a very different way of playing whilst maintaining a healthy midtable position (and a cup run, although they happen more by mistake these days).

This year we have maintained a reasonable midtable position but not been anything like as good to watch. You would hope the team would be more cohesive in a managers second year, but the opposite is true, at least as an attacking force.

For me, the issue is the quality and type of attacking player at the managers disposal. For a decade we've played defensive football and relied on moments of individual endeavour to get goals. Each of Zaha, Bolasie, Townsend, Ayew, Edouard etc wants (or wanted) the ball to feet so they can improvise. None of them make good runs off the ball to make sharp forward passing possible, or have any great gift for combination play.

That didn't matter so much until we started trying to have more of the ball. Our periods of possession and pressure come around more often now, but only serve to illustrate how infrequently our forwards are capable of coordinated movement or combinations. One of the forwards coming towards our midfield asking for the ball to feet is common, but how often do you see a well timed run behind the opponents defence? One of the forwards trying to find a way past two or three opponents (often without success) happens almost every time we attack, but you can wait weeks to see a simple one-two passing combination. In fact, one and two touch pass and move football in the opposition half appears to be an alien concept.

Pundits say that individualistic players are hard to play against because they are unpredictable, but actually they are entirely predictable - every time they get they will try and beat you by themselves, and if they can't, they will hold the ball for far too long before releasing it so the momentum of the attack disappears.

That's why we've scored so infrequently, but the manager only has the players he has.

I'd like to see a post-Zaha Palace involve at least one forward who runs off the ball at pace, and a midfielder who times runs into space. We can then develop a team around football intelligence and movement as well as individual endeavour, which will get the best from Eze and Olise. Both players are capable of beating their man occasionally, but we aren't getting any benefit from their passing range and awareness at the moment.

All the time that Vieira has to select from Ayew, Edouard and Mateta, I find it hard to criticise him for our stodgy forward play.


Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.44pm)

Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.46pm)

We are 'Birds on the same twig' on a number of your points you have made and I have expressed these sentiments in private conversations.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 22 Jan 23 4.25pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by Runningman


Zaha isnít half the player he was last year. Donít want to write him off but I think we looked a lot more mobile after he was subbed off yesterday.

I agree, but I do think he's a better passer than he shows. He could benefit from having intelligent running ahead of him (though he'd probably ignore the option as often as not).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 22 Jan 23 4.33pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

He did a very good job last year, incorporating lots of new players and a very different way of playing whilst maintaining a healthy midtable position (and a cup run, although they happen more by mistake these days).

This year we have maintained a reasonable midtable position but not been anything like as good to watch. You would hope the team would be more cohesive in a managers second year, but the opposite is true, at least as an attacking force.

For me, the issue is the quality and type of attacking player at the managers disposal. For a decade we've played defensive football and relied on moments of individual endeavour to get goals. Each of Zaha, Bolasie, Townsend, Ayew, Edouard etc wants (or wanted) the ball to feet so they can improvise. None of them make good runs off the ball to make sharp forward passing possible, or have any great gift for combination play.

That didn't matter so much until we started trying to have more of the ball. Our periods of possession and pressure come around more often now, but only serve to illustrate how infrequently our forwards are capable of coordinated movement or combinations. One of the forwards coming towards our midfield asking for the ball to feet is common, but how often do you see a well timed run behind the opponents defence? One of the forwards trying to find a way past two or three opponents (often without success) happens almost every time we attack, but you can wait weeks to see a simple one-two passing combination. In fact, one and two touch pass and move football in the opposition half appears to be an alien concept.

Pundits say that individualistic players are hard to play against because they are unpredictable, but actually they are entirely predictable - every time they get they will try and beat you by themselves, and if they can't, they will hold the ball for far too long before releasing it so the momentum of the attack disappears.

That's why we've scored so infrequently, but the manager only has the players he has.

I'd like to see a post-Zaha Palace involve at least one forward who runs off the ball at pace, and a midfielder who times runs into space. We can then develop a team around football intelligence and movement as well as individual endeavour, which will get the best from Eze and Olise. Both players are capable of beating their man occasionally, but we aren't getting any benefit from their passing range and awareness at the moment.

All the time that Vieira has to select from Ayew, Edouard and Mateta, I find it hard to criticise him for our stodgy forward play.


Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.44pm)

Edited by TheBigToePunt (22 Jan 2023 3.46pm)

Very good post

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 22 Jan 23 4.35pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by rikz

Since when ? Stuck Roberto Carlos in midfield, Harry kane on corners haha that tells you everything you need to know about him, terrible at Liverpool, you wouldn't have his career if you was bad but I definitely wouldn't describe him as good and playing for a draw at home to struggling teams in the league. No thanks

Viera is doing a great job, managers always need 3 years to build their own squad. Unless things are going drastically wrong then you keep them. If things go drastically right they usually get a bigger club. It would make no sense at all to get rid of viera and no chance the club would anyway.

You must be crackers, Rikz

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Views on PV