You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Next goal from open play?
March 30 2023 3.18am

Next goal from open play?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 2 << First< 1 2

 

View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 07 Feb 23 8.07pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Matetaīs longest continual run of games is 19 with 5 goals
Edouardīs is 11 with 3 goals
My conclusion i have come to is, 27m and 144k a week, down the pan


Somewhat misleading stats, I'm afraid Lanzo.

In his WHOLE Palace career, Mateta has only started 18 times so he hasn't had a run of 19 continual games starting. He has come on as a sub on 28 occasions. Sadly his longest continuous run of league starts is a meagre 4 (Yes four) last season during a run that saw us beat Wolves away, draw at home to Citeh, beat Arsenal and lose to Leicester. He scored in both the Wolves and Arsenal games.

As for Edouard, he's had 30 league starts in total and 18 sub appearances. Last season, he had one 7 match starting run in which he scored 3 and assisted 3 and he's had two 6 match starting runs (one last year with 1 goal and one this year with 3 goals and 1 assist).

As I see it, when they have been given a run, their goal and (in the case of Edouard) assists have been decent. if you don't give a striker a decent run of games you can't expect to get the best out of him.

Neither are top class strikers but neither IMO has been given a decent ruN to show what they can do - especially Mateta.

Data btw is from Transfermarkt.

Edited by doombear (07 Feb 2023 8.08pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 07 Feb 23 8.22pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


Somewhat misleading stats, I'm afraid Lanzo.

In his WHOLE Palace career, Mateta has only started 18 times so he hasn't had a run of 19 continual games starting. He has come on as a sub on 28 occasions. Sadly his longest continuous run of league starts is a meagre 4 (Yes four) last season during a run that saw us beat Wolves away, draw at home to Citeh, beat Arsenal and lose to Leicester. He scored in both the Wolves and Arsenal games.

As for Edouard, he's had 30 league starts in total and 18 sub appearances. Last season, he had one 7 match starting run in which he scored 3 and assisted 3 and he's had two 6 match starting runs (one last year with 1 goal and one this year with 3 goals and 1 assist).

As I see it, when they have been given a run, their goal and (in the case of Edouard) assists have been decent. if you don't give a striker a decent run of games you can't expect to get the best out of him.

Neither are top class strikers but neither IMO has been given a decent ruN to show what they can do - especially Mateta.

Data btw is from Transfermarkt.

Edited by doombear (07 Feb 2023 8.08pm)

Sorry, i meant played in 19 in a row, similar with Edouard

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way, to Blockbuster


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 07 Feb 23 8.26pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Sorry, i meant played in 19 in a row, similar with Edouard

I agree one of them needed a run, it didnt happen, next up will probably be Schlupp, who may get at least 3 in a row, or maybe not.

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way, to Blockbuster


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 07 Feb 23 8.41pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Originally posted by sprites

100%. Best finisher at the club.

His wonderful goal tally is proof of that isnít it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 07 Feb 23 8.42pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

I agree one of them needed a run, it didnt happen, next up will probably be Schlupp, who may get at least 3 in a row, or maybe not.


So far this season we've played 21 league games and seen Edouard, Mateta, Wilf and even Ayew start through the middle. What chance has any of them got? Indeed, what chance have the other attacking players got of knowing where to play the ball from week to week? All four 'strikers' are different and will want the ball played into them in a different way.

I just wish PV would pick Edouard or Mateta and stick with that player until he starts to deliver or shows he's nit up to it.

Edited by doombear (07 Feb 2023 8.43pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View waddy's Profile waddy Flag Highton,Melbourne 07 Feb 23 9.08pm Send a Private Message to waddy Add waddy as a friend

Iím getting fed up ready tbh cos itís the same talk

Yet itís the same answer

WE DO NOT HAVE AN instinctive Striker who can control the ball , take on a defender god forbid take on two
Or shoot from outside of box

Until we do Nowt will change at all

 


Forever Palace Proud

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Living In Hope's Profile Living In Hope Flag Petersfield 07 Feb 23 9.24pm Send a Private Message to Living In Hope Add Living In Hope as a friend

My view is that Palace has become a graveyard for strikers because we simply don't create enough chances for them. Despite often playing with 2 wingers we are not getting dangerous crosses into the box, but instead the wingers normally cut inside and shoot themselves. Simplistic I know, but I don't think we are giving our strikers a chance. Having said that I don't believe Mateta is a PL standard player, but I think Edouard could be.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ambrose7's Profile ambrose7 Flag Croydon 07 Feb 23 10.04pm Send a Private Message to ambrose7 Add ambrose7 as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


I assume you mean home games as our 2nd game back was the 2-0 win at Bournemouth.

The away game prior we didn't have a shot on target either and we had a penalty in that game...

 


26th January 2010 - Enter Administration
2nd May 2010 - D-Day 1 - Survival at Hillsborough
1st June 2010 - D-Day 2 - Survival at Lloyds
7th June 2010 - CPFC2010 exchange contracts.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Uphill's Profile Uphill Flag Bedford 08 Feb 23 4.26pm Send a Private Message to Uphill Add Uphill as a friend

Originally posted by Living In Hope

My view is that Palace has become a graveyard for strikers because we simply don't create enough chances for them. Despite often playing with 2 wingers we are not getting dangerous crosses into the box, but instead the wingers normally cut inside and shoot themselves. Simplistic I know, but I don't think we are giving our strikers a chance. Having said that I don't believe Mateta is a PL standard player, but I think Edouard could be.

The solution is obvious - play Olise on the left wing.
He will be less tempted to cut inside and ought to cross the ball more often.

Whether there will be anyone around to take a header is another matter.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 2 << First< 1 2

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Next goal from open play?