You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Whitworth In Goal?
May 21 2024 2.09am

Whitworth In Goal?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 5 << First< 1 2 3 4 5

 

View Swindy's Profile Swindy Flag Bromley 16 Mar 23 9.12am Send a Private Message to Swindy Add Swindy as a friend

Excellent post.
There are many who think Guaita is always above criticism.
He is always lauded as a great 'shot stopper' but then most goalkeepers are.
However, despite his greater height, he lacks ability in coming from his line to deal with balls into the 6 yard box and often watches balls travel the width of the goal line without dealing with them. He is also not the future.
Arguably, the slow build up play and tortuous playing out from the back is exacerbated by his pretty average ability in kicking.
Bizarrely his 2 ludicrous errors in the FA cup game v Southampton were brushed under the carpet,(as were Speroni's before him) and if a previous keeper, say Wayne Hennessey, had made such mistakes, one can only imagine the vitriol on here.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PJEagle's Profile PJEagle Flag London 16 Mar 23 9.22am Send a Private Message to PJEagle Add PJEagle as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

Either way he’ll do a job , I feel a change of management after Sunday which will probably keep us up , so I don’t think we will be in championship next season

The Academy is beginning to really be productive. I didn't see the match but heard radio commentary. Made some good saves in second half. So far as the match is concerned, (I'm a glass half full guy) we got into some good scoring positions only to fall to a striker who appears to have totally lost confidence. Zaha is coming back from a bad injury so will take time for him to recover. Let's hope we pick up the necessary points after Arsenal. I don't think it's the right time to sack a manager. I think PV will stay, and help with the desperately needed recruitment in the summer

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 16 Mar 23 9.26am Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by PJEagle

The Academy is beginning to really be productive. I didn't see the match but heard radio commentary. Made some good saves in second half. So far as the match is concerned, (I'm a glass half full guy) we got into some good scoring positions only to fall to a striker who appears to have totally lost confidence. Zaha is coming back from a bad injury so will take time for him to recover. Let's hope we pick up the necessary points after Arsenal. I don't think it's the right time to sack a manager. I think PV will stay, and help with the desperately needed recruitment in the summer

Agree about the academy , young lads on loan doing great things , if we stay up and the plan all along was to blood the youngsters and it works then parish and viera will be hailed as heroes , and I for one would agree , but if we fall this season, it would all have been for nothing , it’s a massive gamble to keep him or sack him, I for one am pleased I’m not the one having to make the decision

 


“This is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, it’s a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying “This , is a large crisis” - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
NE14T Flag 16 Mar 23 9.41am

I’ve had another look at their goal again and it’s clear Whitworth was day-dreaming miles out of position during their early build up, trying to look relaxed and then suddenly thinks “s*** I need to get back…” As he starts to back peddle he glances back to see where his posts are just before the shot is made. He therefore doesn’t have full focus on the ball and it goes between his arms.

If he had been in position from start he would have fully concentrated on their play and it would have been an easy save.

Less swagger young man. Keep your focus and position at all times. Good luck to him though.

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.42am)

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.43am)

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.49am)

 


The beatings will stop when morale improves.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 16 Mar 23 10.01am Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by NE14T

I’ve had another look at their goal again and it’s clear Whitworth was day-dreaming miles out of position during their early build up, trying to look relaxed and then suddenly thinks “s*** I need to get back…” As he starts to back peddle he glances back to see where his posts are just before the shot is made. He therefore doesn’t have full focus on the ball and it goes between his arms.

If he had been in position from start he would have fully concentrated on their play and it would have been an easy save.

Less swagger young man. Keep your focus and position at all times. Good luck to him though.

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.42am)

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.43am)

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.49am)

19 year old as of two weeks ago being put into a premier league game against our most disgusting rivals , I won’t blame him for the goal and no palace fan should , without him would have been worse

 


“This is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, it’s a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying “This , is a large crisis” - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 16 Mar 23 10.04am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

He’ll be our number 1 very soon , trust me , his height doesn’t matter we wouldn’t have given a professional contract to a goalkeeper at 19 if we didn’t believe he could do it ,

I suspect so. Unbelievably cool and calm. Asking for the ball back, distributing quickly, looks the real deal.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 16 Mar 23 10.06am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

19 year old as of two weeks ago being put into a premier league game against our most disgusting rivals , I won’t blame him for the goal and no palace fan should , without him would have been worse

That and if our forward players, with massively superior experience and no doubt wages, could score glaring headers and one vs ones we wouldn't even be having the conversation.

I would suggest that any youth playing starting in goal, let alone whilst pressure is high and playing away, at your main rivals who are crushingly far better than you, should always be considered as massively perilous so to only concede one is quite remarkable and anybody would bite your hand off in that scenario.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 16 Mar 23 10.09am Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

That and if our forward players, with massively superior experience and no doubt wages, could score glaring headers and one vs ones we wouldn't even be having the conversation.

I would suggest that any youth playing starting in goal, let alone whilst pressure is high and playing away, at your main rivals who are crushingly far better than you, should always be considered as massively perilous so to only concede one is quite remarkable and anybody would bite your hand off in that scenario.

I love Guaita I really do but age is getting on I predicted Whitworth as number 1 years ago I can’t wait to be proven right , whether it’s in championship or premier league the boy is a legend , remember when I was in holmesdale block b and he was a ball boy cuddling zaha after scoring , the boy is true Palace and regardless of result last night I take pure pride in the fact the boy played and played very well

 


“This is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, it’s a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying “This , is a large crisis” - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 16 Mar 23 10.17am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

I am sure that he will have learnt a valuable lesson about staying focussed throughout the game from conceding that goal.

Originally posted by NE14T

I’ve had another look at their goal again and it’s clear Whitworth was day-dreaming miles out of position during their early build up, trying to look relaxed and then suddenly thinks “s*** I need to get back…” As he starts to back peddle he glances back to see where his posts are just before the shot is made. He therefore doesn’t have full focus on the ball and it goes between his arms.

If he had been in position from start he would have fully concentrated on their play and it would have been an easy save.

Less swagger young man. Keep your focus and position at all times. Good luck to him though.

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.42am)

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.43am)

Edited by NE14T (16 Mar 2023 9.49am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag 16 Mar 23 10.23am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Guiata has been in great form of late and has kept us in some games. Having said that, I like most was so impressed with the maturity shown by Whitworth. He only really had one proper save to make but he looked comfortable with the ball at his feet and didn't make any mistakes. What a night to make your debut, especially as a Palace fan. A shame the rest of the team couldn't have made it a better night to remember.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 5 << First< 1 2 3 4 5

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Whitworth In Goal?