You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Brighton vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread
March 29 2023 8.18am

Brighton vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 13 of 14 < 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

 

View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag 16 Mar 23 10.02am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by becky

What is it with all this cr*p people post about players 'lacking confidence'?

These are not junior trainees, these are grown men, supposedly professional footballers being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year to accurately and consistently kick a bag of wind around a pitch and put it inside 3 posts!

It's what they practice for for several hours, 5/6 days a week, so why is it so difficult, and why should they lack 'confidence' with all the benefits of a Premiership set up behind them?

We had too much of this nonsense with Benteke - let's pl;ease not now start attributing it to the whole team...... or if it is then get a bl**dy psychologist in to sort them out!

Sorry, rant over!

They're human regardless of how much they get paid. Being high on confidence is massive in football; look what it has done to fairly average players like March for Brighton or Almiron at Newcastle. Rashford gets some belief back and suddenly everything he touches turns to gold. Alex Ferguson always maintained it was about momentum and wins breed confidence, but the opposite is also true, you only have to look at Chelsea for an obvious example of that.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Swindy's Profile Swindy Flag Bromley 16 Mar 23 10.14am Send a Private Message to Swindy Add Swindy as a friend

'Sorry but I can't agree with the negative vibes ringing out against Parish (who effectively saved our club from near liquidation) and Vieira.
We are not owned by a board with a bottomless pit of cash (some of it borrowed thanks to FA rules) nor are we owned by ruthless, unethical Saudi princes. There is a real community heart to our club that all has it's distinctive value/ importance.'

Sorry, first part of this is irrelevant now. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.
Also, 'if we are not owned by a board with a bottomless pit of cash', is it not the job of said board to do something about that, ie increased investment/sell out ?
Sadly, the result of their complacency is now coming home to roost !!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 16 Mar 23 10.21am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Swindy

We are not owned by a board with a bottomless pit of cash (some of it borrowed thanks to FA rules) nor are we owned by ruthless, unethical Saudi princes. There is a real community heart to our club that all has it's distinctive value/ importance.'

We are owned by a board with a bottomless pit of cash but unfortunately they don't wish to spend any more on taking the club to the next level.

I read a lot about the "community heart to our club" but am not quite sure what you mean as only two of the regular first team came through the academy and half aren't even English

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 16 Mar 23 10.24am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

I know there is a a lot of negativity, but I'll put my tin hat on try to be a bit more optimistic.

We had some shots! And if not for some wasteful finishing we might have scored a goal or 2.

Vieira's tactics worked very well early on. Whilst not revolutionary, it shows that the coaching set up know how to set up a team.

It was a very different shape without that ball than I've seen before. Wilf and Olise tucking right in to almost play as CM's, CD stuck on Mac Allister. Unless he went too far and then Anderson stepped out. It was instrumental in stopping them playing and us creating chances.

The goal was against the run of play and sometimes you have to hold your hands up. Sharp movement, perfectly timed run, great finish.

Unfortunately Doucoure went a bit mental and was incredibly lucky not to get sent off. We are then in a much trickier position, Luka doesn't have the legs to keep up with Mac Allister, and we have no Hughes. So he gambled with Eze. Who looked lost for most of the 2nd half. Mac Allister started to get more ball and dominate.

We had a decent flurry late on, Eze starting to find his grove, Ahamada looking spritely. JPM with a nice interchange.


Although it feels it, I don't think we are a million miles off. And think we lack 2 things:

Bravery with the ball - too often we pass back, because its no risk, when there is a completely makable pass inside/forward. If there is any pressure at all, the ball always goes back. Clyne is a key culprit of this, sh1ts himself every time he has the ball. As a result we always allow teams to organise themselves.

Urgency in attack - In Olise, Zaha and Eze, we have players who are dead talented but love more touches than needed. Coupled with the inverted wingers means we are always checking back and holding the ball vs capitalising and getting a ball in. Zaha must have got to the by line about 5 times last night, and ever time he checked back and either lost the ball or passed back. Olise was the same.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Sportyteacher's Profile Sportyteacher Flag London 16 Mar 23 10.49am Send a Private Message to Sportyteacher Add Sportyteacher as a friend

Originally posted by Plumpton eagle

Sorry but I can't agree with the negative vibes ringing out against Parish (who effectively saved our club from near liquidation)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry but that defence is no longer valid. We are all grateful but after 10 years in the Prem it is no longer relevant. Somehow, we are now going backwards. Seeing clubs similar to us, like Brighton, Fulham & Brentford, pulling ahead is painful to watch.

I think "the management" has been sidetracked by the new stand, indecision in strategy, direction and investment. Even the pre-season was a shambles with half the squad in Australia and the rest at home.

I do believe that the focus was on trying everything to get Gallagher back either in the summer or January. I think there was an assumption that we would not be in a relagation scrap. This has resulted in a dangerously thin squad low on quality and numbers.

Anything at Arsenal would be an absolute bonus. I hope that the international break is used to kick start the team. The World Cup break seems to have been disastrous for us. We need to come out fighting after the next break. One win might change everything.

Given my past comment's replies, I stand corrected and particularly bow to this assessment.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SnapperKain's Profile SnapperKain Flag SE25 6PU 16 Mar 23 11.15am Send a Private Message to SnapperKain Add SnapperKain as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

They're human regardless of how much they get paid. Being high on confidence is massive in football; look what it has done to fairly average players like March for Brighton or Almiron at Newcastle. Rashford gets some belief back and suddenly everything he touches turns to gold. Alex Ferguson always maintained it was about momentum and wins breed confidence, but the opposite is also true, you only have to look at Chelsea for an obvious example of that.

You know, I use to think like this but I'm with Becky on this one. As Becky said, they train day in and day out on the best way to play football, in the most elite league in the world and are paid absolutely ridiculously staggering amounts of money to do so. The team lacking confidence, cry me a river frankly as I'm sure getting in their Bentley's and driving back to their mansions after losing last night must have been so hurtful for them, as the rest of caught a wet and cold train back to East Croydon.

I'm not buying it as an excuse anymore. As Becky said, we heard that about Benteke for what, 6 years? If I was in their position I think I'd be pretty confident in myself, it's just an excuse and they need to get over themselves frankly.


Edited by SnapperKain (16 Mar 2023 11.16am)

 


The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SnapperKain's Profile SnapperKain Flag SE25 6PU 16 Mar 23 11.15am Send a Private Message to SnapperKain Add SnapperKain as a friend

Whoops duplicate!

Edited by SnapperKain (16 Mar 2023 11.16am)

Edited by SnapperKain (16 Mar 2023 11.16am)

 


The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace chick's Profile palace chick Flag South Croydon 16 Mar 23 11.21am Send a Private Message to palace chick Add palace chick as a friend

Originally posted by MrRobbo

I know there is a a lot of negativity, but I'll put my tin hat on try to be a bit more optimistic.

We had some shots! And if not for some wasteful finishing we might have scored a goal or 2.

Vieira's tactics worked very well early on. Whilst not revolutionary, it shows that the coaching set up know how to set up a team.

It was a very different shape without that ball than I've seen before. Wilf and Olise tucking right in to almost play as CM's, CD stuck on Mac Allister. Unless he went too far and then Anderson stepped out. It was instrumental in stopping them playing and us creating chances.

The goal was against the run of play and sometimes you have to hold your hands up. Sharp movement, perfectly timed run, great finish.

Unfortunately Doucoure went a bit mental and was incredibly lucky not to get sent off. We are then in a much trickier position, Luka doesn't have the legs to keep up with Mac Allister, and we have no Hughes. So he gambled with Eze. Who looked lost for most of the 2nd half. Mac Allister started to get more ball and dominate.

We had a decent flurry late on, Eze starting to find his grove, Ahamada looking spritely. JPM with a nice interchange.


Although it feels it, I don't think we are a million miles off. And think we lack 2 things:

Bravery with the ball - too often we pass back, because its no risk, when there is a completely makable pass inside/forward. If there is any pressure at all, the ball always goes back. Clyne is a key culprit of this, sh1ts himself every time he has the ball. As a result we always allow teams to organise themselves.

Urgency in attack - In Olise, Zaha and Eze, we have players who are dead talented but love more touches than needed. Coupled with the inverted wingers means we are always checking back and holding the ball vs capitalising and getting a ball in. Zaha must have got to the by line about 5 times last night, and ever time he checked back and either lost the ball or passed back. Olise was the same.

I think thatís my view as well about last night and City the other day. We nearly got favourable results in both. Letís get the arsenal game out the way and prepare for Leicester and the matches after. Hopefully we will get the results to stay up but itís going to be a close thing. I also hope we stick with Edouard up front as chopping and changing doesnít help the team or him. A bit more luck last night and the result goes our way. Itís a thin line and we are missing confidence at the moment which will come back once we get a win or just on the scoreboard? Hopefully the international break will get Hughes and our keepers back and even Macca.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag 16 Mar 23 11.44am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by SnapperKain

You know, I use to think like this but I'm with Becky on this one. As Becky said, they train day in and day out on the best way to play football, in the most elite league in the world and are paid absolutely ridiculously staggering amounts of money to do so. The team lacking confidence, cry me a river frankly as I'm sure getting in their Bentley's and driving back to their mansions after losing last night must have been so hurtful for them, as the rest of caught a wet and cold train back to East Croydon.

I'm not buying it as an excuse anymore. As Becky said, we heard that about Benteke for what, 6 years? If I was in their position I think I'd be pretty confident in myself, it's just an excuse and they need to get over themselves frankly.


Edited by SnapperKain (16 Mar 2023 11.16am)

I'm not saying we should feel sorry for them, but you'd have to be blind not to see how low on confidence some of the players are. How you fix that is another matter, but I'd be more concerned if the players looked like they didn't care. It's a shame McArthur has seemingly become injured again as he is a real leader and someone capable of lifting the team.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 16 Mar 23 11.56am Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by MrRobbo

Urgency in attack - In Olise, Zaha and Eze, we have players who are dead talented but love more touches than needed. Coupled with the inverted wingers means we are always checking back and holding the ball vs capitalising and getting a ball in. Zaha must have got to the by line about 5 times last night, and ever time he checked back and either lost the ball or passed back. Olise was the same.

I keep on saying it, but this is a massive issue for me.

Zaha has developed the habit of holding the ball too long for a number of reasons.

Firstly. mindset. He has been the big fish in a small pond for too long. He does of course have confidence bordering on arrogance (as do most top players), but the habits we see now result from an almost unique experiment entitled 'What happens when an entire top-flight club relies on one player forever?'. He is partly being selfish when he holds the ball, but mostly just accepting the responsibility the club has heaped on his shoulders.

Secondly, tactics. We have moved him from the wing (including the right) where his job was to beat his man and cross it, to left-inside forward, and now to centre forward. We stopped asking him to cross it, and asked him to try and score. For many years we have left him to do that alone. He rarely has any runners past him, only support behind. He actually has a surprisingly good awareness of others and weight of pass, he just rarely gets to use either.

Third, declining pace. He has come back far too soon from hamstring injuries far too often. He cannot knock it past a fullback and race him over 10 yards anymore. A sure sign of a lazy pundit is when they say 'Palace have threat on the break with Zaha, Eze and Olise'. None of them are fast in a sprint, and Zaha in particular isn't. That's why so many counterattacks die a death at his feet.

Fourth, quality of teammate. Some of the absolute s*** we have had, and continue to have, upfront is enough to make any winger keep the ball.


The forth point is all that matters now. We can't change the first three in respect of Zaha, but Olise and Eze will develop the same tendencies if we cannot find a striker with good movement they can look for when in possession.


Edited by TheBigToePunt (16 Mar 2023 12.46pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Croydon-Trucker's Profile Croydon-Trucker Flag Cashel The arsehole of no-where 16 Mar 23 12.55pm Send a Private Message to Croydon-Trucker Add Croydon-Trucker as a friend

Did we score yet .

 


Is it just me , or does all wine taste like vinegar .

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View A1969Eagle's Profile A1969Eagle Flag Redhill 16 Mar 23 1.36pm Send a Private Message to A1969Eagle Add A1969Eagle as a friend

Doucoure to be replaced with deep midfield role and passing ability for Andersen, Richards in back 4.

Originally posted by MrRobbo

I know there is a a lot of negativity, but I'll put my tin hat on try to be a bit more optimistic.

We had some shots! And if not for some wasteful finishing we might have scored a goal or 2.

Vieira's tactics worked very well early on. Whilst not revolutionary, it shows that the coaching set up know how to set up a team.

It was a very different shape without that ball than I've seen before. Wilf and Olise tucking right in to almost play as CM's, CD stuck on Mac Allister. Unless he went too far and then Anderson stepped out. It was instrumental in stopping them playing and us creating chances.

The goal was against the run of play and sometimes you have to hold your hands up. Sharp movement, perfectly timed run, great finish.

Unfortunately Doucoure went a bit mental and was incredibly lucky not to get sent off. We are then in a much trickier position, Luka doesn't have the legs to keep up with Mac Allister, and we have no Hughes. So he gambled with Eze. Who looked lost for most of the 2nd half. Mac Allister started to get more ball and dominate.

We had a decent flurry late on, Eze starting to find his grove, Ahamada looking spritely. JPM with a nice interchange.


Although it feels it, I don't think we are a million miles off. And think we lack 2 things:

Bravery with the ball - too often we pass back, because its no risk, when there is a completely makable pass inside/forward. If there is any pressure at all, the ball always goes back. Clyne is a key culprit of this, sh1ts himself every time he has the ball. As a result we always allow teams to organise themselves.

Urgency in attack - In Olise, Zaha and Eze, we have players who are dead talented but love more touches than needed. Coupled with the inverted wingers means we are always checking back and holding the ball vs capitalising and getting a ball in. Zaha must have got to the by line about 5 times last night, and ever time he checked back and either lost the ball or passed back. Olise was the same.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 13 of 14 < 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Brighton vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread