You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Southampton Predictions
February 29 2024 2.46pm

Southampton Predictions

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 8 of 12 < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

 

View babylonjohn's Profile babylonjohn Flag St Leonards-on-Sea 12 Apr 23 5.18pm Send a Private Message to babylonjohn Add babylonjohn as a friend

I predict Palace win 1-3. More stunning counter attacking as saints try desperately to get something from game

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag London 12 Apr 23 5.22pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

This fixture is so critical for Saints, they will throw everything at it and have a good squad despite their position.

So I think home win but if we are solid and organised we have the flair players to change that.

We will have to be lucky with the vile VAR.

I think Johnston will start and the most obvious thing is to prepare for JWP.

I think take a player out of the wall and a spare attacker and put them on the goal-line, and ensure a clear line of vision.

It's just a thought, but we have our own JWP, Scott Banks, I would personally have him on the bench as a specialist sub.

Ideas, you never know.

I really can't see the point of a wall anymore. Let the keeper have a clear view and worst case he should be able to tip the ball over the bar or round the post. I certainly wouldn't fancy Prowse to score from twenty five yards if the keeper can see the shot.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag London 12 Apr 23 5.25pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

This fixture is so critical for Saints, they will throw everything at it and have a good squad despite their position.

So I think home win but if we are solid and organised we have the flair players to change that.

We will have to be lucky with the vile VAR.

I think Johnston will start and the most obvious thing is to prepare for JWP.

I think take a player out of the wall and a spare attacker and put them on the goal-line, and ensure a clear line of vision.

It's just a thought, but we have our own JWP, Scott Banks, I would personally have him on the bench as a specialist sub.

Ideas, you never know.

He is out on loan

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 12 Apr 23 6.39pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by dreamwaverider

He is out on loan

Perhaps when owners like Boehly get their way, we we can bring on ďfree kickersĒ a la NFL

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Living In Hope's Profile Living In Hope Flag Petersfield 12 Apr 23 8.03pm Send a Private Message to Living In Hope Add Living In Hope as a friend

I appreciate that I tend towards pessimism in the hope of being pleasantly surprised, but I am surprised at so many bullish predictions of a comfortable Palace win.

Saints are a lot better than other teams occupying 20th position from recent seasons, in fact I think they are not a bad team. They will be desperate to win here, as any other result is probably terminal for them at this point. That could give them the extra 2% they might need.

As for us, we have been awful for months, then very good for the first 45 minutes v Leicester with Wilf, and mediocre in the 2nd without him. At Leeds we were poor in the first half, outstanding in the 2nd. Not sure there is sufficient evidence yet to believe we will roll over Saints comfortably. Difficult to call, but I think they are more likely to win than we are, but will predict 1-1 and would be satisfied with that too.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 12 Apr 23 8.21pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Living In Hope

I appreciate that I tend towards pessimism in the hope of being pleasantly surprised, but I am surprised at so many bullish predictions of a comfortable Palace win.

Saints are a lot better than other teams occupying 20th position from recent seasons, in fact I think they are not a bad team. They will be desperate to win here, as any other result is probably terminal for them at this point. That could give them the extra 2% they might need.

As for us, we have been awful for months, then very good for the first 45 minutes v Leicester with Wilf, and mediocre in the 2nd without him. At Leeds we were poor in the first half, outstanding in the 2nd. Not sure there is sufficient evidence yet to believe we will roll over Saints comfortably. Difficult to call, but I think they are more likely to win than we are, but will predict 1-1 and would be satisfied with that too.

I agree with the general thrust of these sentiments.
I too have predicted 1-1.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View batcountry's Profile batcountry Flag Melbourne 12 Apr 23 8.23pm Send a Private Message to batcountry Add batcountry as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

I cannot imagine for one moment wanting anything to do with this vile club, my memory of absolutely hating them goes back to our team of the eighties and the time my Dad took me and my brother to Selhurst to watch us play this vile club, they booted us left right and centre for the entire game leaving us with injured players all over the pitch, papers the next day with horrified reports. Hated them ever since and will hate them for ever more.

Donít forget how they cynically kicked PeterTaylor out of the Cup semi at Stamford Bridge.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View monkey's Profile monkey Flag 12 Apr 23 8.28pm Send a Private Message to monkey Add monkey as a friend

Originally posted by batcountry

Donít forget how they cynically kicked PeterTaylor out of the Cup semi at Stamford Bridge.

After his performance against Chelsea at the bridge, you couldnít really blame them, targeting the danger man was most definitely a thing back in the 70ís , and he was definitely our danger man.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 12 Apr 23 10.25pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by dreamwaverider

I really can't see the point of a wall anymore. Let the keeper have a clear view and worst case he should be able to tip the ball over the bar or round the post. I certainly wouldn't fancy Prowse to score from twenty five yards if the keeper can see the shot.

I agree, the wall can be an impediment.

At Everton, Pickford made elaborate changes to the wall, but he didn't pick JWP at all and hardly moved, and with no-one covering the near post that was that.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 13 Apr 23 6.11am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by batcountry

Donít forget how they cynically kicked PeterTaylor out of the Cup semi at Stamford Bridge.

I admit I'm getting on a bit, but I can still just about remember page 3 of this thread when it was last mentioned

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PJEagle's Profile PJEagle Flag London 13 Apr 23 7.56am Send a Private Message to PJEagle Add PJEagle as a friend

Originally posted by YT

I admit I'm getting on a bit, but I can still just about remember page 3 of this thread when it was last mentioned

Sadly, it's 1-0 for Southampton. For them, they HAVE to win, or its relegation. That hunger and desperation will push them to another level

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 13 Apr 23 9.30am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Whilst I recognize that Southampton are drinking in the last chance saloon so-to-speak, and will want to show the crowd how much they care and want to keep the club in the PL, I do fancy us to come away with something, most likely a draw (1-1).

You can take some comfort from the fact that I went for a 1-1 draw in the Leeds game as well (albeit not posted on here).

I would point out that since I've been keeping records of all our games starting in 2018/19 season, only once have we won 3 league games in a row - just prior to the lockdown. A win on Saturday, therefore, would create a rare achievement for us in recent PL times.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 8 of 12 < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Southampton Predictions