You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Fulham vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread
September 25 2023 7.11am

Fulham vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 11 of 12 < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

 

View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 21 May 23 6.43pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

Thereís no doubt we look more vulnerable at set pieces than when we had Dann, Delaney, Tomkins, Cahill and Benteke who were all physical players adept at competing in the air.
However, the players we have now do compensate in other areas so one canít be too greedy.
Itís still an area that needs improvement though
You donít want to dominate games and lose points on set pieces.

Perhaps it's a direct, philosophical protestation or opposition to the likes of Sean Dyche?

Agree of course however I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. The likes of those you have mentioned were perhaps never going to be able to run the ball down the pitch like Guehi, ping balls like Andersen or be as tidy as them both, however you can learn and be drilled to defend set pieces as effectively as possible and neither of the aforementioned lack the physical attributes to be able to do so.

It is not just them two responsible of course however I do not see it as something the whole team and every individual player is incapable of improving on with the correct coaching and management. Things like intelligence, flair and athleticism are very hard if not impossible to learn however a tactical approach to elements of the game most certainly are.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 21 May 23 7.45pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

Their corner routine for the goal was impressive, no one moved, except Mitrovic, who snuck along behind the line completely unmarked.

Marco Silva's teams have been inventive with free kick routines at set-plays.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 21 May 23 8.20pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

Their corner routine for the goal was impressive, no one moved, except Mitrovic, who snuck along behind the line completely unmarked.

The commentator summed it up. If there is one player who you need to mark its Mitrovic. So we of course allowed him a free run across the danger area. We have actually got far worse at defending set pieces since Roy came back, which I donít really understand as organising the defence is supposed to be his strong point.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View daven's Profile daven Flag 21 May 23 8.48pm Send a Private Message to daven Add daven as a friend

We seem to be vulnerable to anything that goes to the far post (on both sides). Havent done any research but it would be interesting to see how many goals that we have conceded that way. In my day the full back was responsible for the far post but these days they seem to be more central when the attack is on the other wing. It does seem to be a theme of unmarked forwards scoring at the far post with defenders unable to adjust.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BarEagle's Profile BarEagle Flag Monmouth 22 May 23 2.01am Send a Private Message to BarEagle Add BarEagle as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

Shocking from Mitchell. And that was about the 3rd time he was caught out that half.. I find it genuinely amazing he has managed to play for England.

We desperately need a new right and left back we really do...

^^^
This

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 22 May 23 10.15am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

The commentator summed it up. If there is one player who you need to mark its Mitrovic. So we of course allowed him a free run across the danger area. We have actually got far worse at defending set pieces since Roy came back, which I donít really understand as organising the defence is supposed to be his strong point.

Who was on Mitrovic? Woeful defending and almost an identical routine to the Leeds goal only a few weeks ago.

This is so poor it's embarrassing.

Part of the issue seems to be that our 2 centre backs pick up their equivalents, so we are left with 2 limited heading ability full backs and a small midfield to do the rest.
Not only are the not doing it they are also switching off - repeatedly.

It's a horrible tactic but getting a few blockers in the box would not be a bad idea. For example we know Olise can't heads the ball. Therefore, his job should be to simple block a runner. Mitrovic must have walked about 12 yards across the face of the defenders without a challenge before he headed home. A blocker could have at least slowed his progress.

Also, as say Eze and Zaha (or an.other) are also poor headers, maybe keep them upfield. If we had 2 on the halfway line it would mean the opposition would keep 3 back. A less crowded area might enable our keeper more space to claim the odd cross

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 22 May 23 10.41am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Condemned to Palace

Willian ignored the mark the referee made for his free kick that led to Fulhamís second goal (I was standing very close, and loads of fans were protesting about this to the line official); he moved the ball at least two feet forwards of it towards the gaol. Given the fuss about positioning balls for corners etc., what are the rules about this sort of thing? Could Willian have been made to re-take it?

That was a bit dodgy, but am I the only person who thinks that their penalty was a bit soft as well?

Mitchell falls over and the guy chucks himself on the floor. Tony Gale was sure it was a penalty surprise surprise, but it looked very iffy to me.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 22 May 23 10.46am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

That was a bit dodgy, but am I the only person who thinks that their penalty was a bit soft as well?

Mitchell falls over and the guy chucks himself on the floor. Tony Gale was sure it was a penalty surprise surprise, but it looked very iffy to me.

Initially thought it was nailed on. Having seen it a few times, thought it was soft but can see why it was given.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 22 May 23 10.48am Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

Who was on Mitrovic? Woeful defending and almost an identical routine to the Leeds goal only a few weeks ago.

This is so poor it's embarrassing.

Part of the issue seems to be that our 2 centre backs pick up their equivalents, so we are left with 2 limited heading ability full backs and a small midfield to do the rest.
Not only are the not doing it they are also switching off - repeatedly.

It's a horrible tactic but getting a few blockers in the box would not be a bad idea. For example we know Olise can't heads the ball. Therefore, his job should be to simple block a runner. Mitrovic must have walked about 12 yards across the face of the defenders without a challenge before he headed home. A blocker could have at least slowed his progress.

Also, as say Eze and Zaha (or an.other) are also poor headers, maybe keep them upfield. If we had 2 on the halfway line it would mean the opposition would keep 3 back. A less crowded area might enable our keeper more space to claim the odd cross

If you watch, you will see Mitrovics marker Andersen being held and blocked off by Fulham players. It rarely gets noticed by refs, but it happens a lot.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 22 May 23 10.49am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

The commentator summed it up. If there is one player who you need to mark its Mitrovic. So we of course allowed him a free run across the danger area. We have actually got far worse at defending set pieces since Roy came back, which I donít really understand as organising the defence is supposed to be his strong point.

It really is a bit baffling. Everyone knows his areal abilities.

Why isn't Anderson stuck to him like glue?

There has been some chat about it being a cleaver routine, and then the ball wasn't in the right place etc. Which are terrible excuses.

The ball was 2 yards from the spot. Mitrovic was allowed to trot from the back post to the near, with not so much as a hand on him.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View monkey's Profile monkey Flag 22 May 23 10.53am Send a Private Message to monkey Add monkey as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

Shocking from Mitchell. And that was about the 3rd time he was caught out that half.. I find it genuinely amazing he has managed to play for England.

.

I feel the same, I know itís harsh because heís one of our own, and I never thought Iíd say it, but I miss PVA, a bit shabby defending as well, but at least he gave us something going forward

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 22 May 23 10.54am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

That was a bit dodgy, but am I the only person who thinks that their penalty was a bit soft as well?

Mitchell falls over and the guy chucks himself on the floor. Tony Gale was sure it was a penalty surprise surprise, but it looked very iffy to me.

I agree, really soft penalty awarded by a referee described by my Fulham supporting mate as '' naive '. Wilson had nowhere to go but hit the deck.

As for the free kick that led to their second goal, you could view it as either another poor decision by the linesman or Mitchell. Roy threw his arms up in frustration - again, it could have been with the decision or Mitchell conceding the kick. In any event, the ref's marker was ignored, right in front of that linesman.

As for the defending, once again we saw a player moving towards the ball without any attempt to block the run. That really is Schoolboy stuff.

Ultimately it was a decent point.

I've long held the view that Portuguese players are the biggest cheats in the Premier League, and you could tell that Fulham are coached by a Portuguese - they were embarrassing at times.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 11 of 12 < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Fulham vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread