You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle match thread
June 13 2024 3.19pm

Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle match thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 9 of 11 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

 

View mtp1958's Profile mtp1958 Flag Grays 25 Apr 24 7.02am Send a Private Message to mtp1958 Add mtp1958 as a friend

OK its dajavu time feel ive been through this before oh yeah last season , PV lost his way in comes Roy , we was a different team that played the prevous 12 games under PV , Roy struggled more this season with losing more or less his first 11 to injury , then it made him ill we could see that in the stands on TV ,

Now along comes Ollie and we play with wing backs i called that long ago , but didnt have the fire power at right back , I never lost faith in Mateta , said we needed to play him so he can get a understanding with the supply line it was play 3 games dropped 6 , then we wonder why he and us wasnt scoring , this is not hind site ,

Now the gutting part Eze let me down had him and Matty to score anytime and palace to win he's bloody useless hehe , Matty betting account now at 330 this season happy days , its a big ask to win last 4 games , but if we do with results going our way we could end up top 10 what a finish that would be , oh yea i have 10quid at 12s to get in top 10 as well ,

beating Liverpool was fun as i live near there now , so had 1 or 2 scousers around me when we scored and also beat them , and i had my palace shirt on as well, The spam result my phone was red hot contacting all the spam supporters i know , lots of fun , dont really know any geordies so had a little chuckle to myself ,

If we can keep all our players for one more season what a season that could be , and maybe give them European football to stay longer , maybe a bigger ground as well , ok i know i was pushing it with the last bit hehe, onwards and upwards COYP

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 25 Apr 24 7.15am Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Amazing performance well done all round!

This team reminds me of the way we played for the forst 6 months of Vieira reign. Winning the ball high up, pressure on the ball, giving us more time attacking and playing more entertaining football. The difference is that it was reliant on a high energy Gallagher. When he went off boil, so did we. Glasners somehow managed to get all players involved and we are no longer reliant on one player anymore. And that's why this will last. Munoz has allowed the team to play differently.. if there's one player that makes this system work its him, We really need to find wingback cover this summer. Great performances all over the pitch tonight. Aagree that Clyne and Hughes look reborn and no ones moaned about Mitchell for ages!!

Such a good feeling to actually want to watch the games again!
10th place here we come. COYP!

 


"It was a Team effort, I guess it took all players working together to lose this one"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 25 Apr 24 7.34am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

I think this was a great performance last night as we neutralised an in form Newcastle.

I noticed both Wharton and Hughes had a couple of shots on goal, I wonder if OG has told them to be more attack minded?

However As a palace fan for over 50 years I always look for the dark cloud in the silver lining.

Hanging onto our best players this summer will be the key achievement in the transfer window.

Edited by Badger11 (25 Apr 2024 7.34am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 25 Apr 24 8.30am Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Glasner is most definitely the real deal. Great result, great performance. Liverpool was not a one off and the last two matches have shown that. Very enjoyable to be a Palace fan at the moment.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 25 Apr 24 8.33am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

That was the best football I have seen from any Palace team ever.
I couldn't believe what I was watching at times.

It has to be said that Glasner is obviously getting the best from this squad.
Hughes was particularly good last night. Richards, Munoz and Ayew excellent. Everyone did their bit.

A brilliant way to celebrate safety for another season.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 25 Apr 24 8.56am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by monkey

Unbelievable the transformation, sharper, quicker, more movement and energy, moving the ball around quicker, not giving the opposition time on the ball.
I think while other teams are flagging after a long season, we’ve been revitalised by injuries coming back, a couple of excellent signings and of course the new gaffer

We couldn’t beat a team in the top half not so long ago, we’ve now beaten three on the trot and totally outclassed two of them

Happy days

Edited by monkey (25 Apr 2024 1.24am)

I'm not going to nit-pick as we are both very happy so I will respectfully disagree with this point.

Olise coming back has been important. The media focus on the 2 only starting 6 times and that has hurt us. However, other than that, OG is dealing with essentially the same side as RH. Last night no Doucoure, Lerma, Guehi, Johnston or Franca off the bench or Olise to start. And we were up against the form team, 8 places above us for a good reason, who thumped us 4-0 and who had 8 more days than us to prepare. Yet palace players described as "Championship at best" on this site were playing Champions League level. WHO ARE THEY?

That is coaching.

If we can keep our players, make a few sensible improvements and carry this form into next season, people will be talking about us as they are now talking about Villa.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 25 Apr 24 8.58am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

I think this was a great performance last night as we neutralised an in form Newcastle.

I noticed both Wharton and Hughes had a couple of shots on goal, I wonder if OG has told them to be more attack minded?

However As a palace fan for over 50 years I always look for the dark cloud in the silver lining.

Hanging onto our best players this summer will be the key achievement in the transfer window.

Edited by Badger11 (25 Apr 2024 7.34am)

I know money talks and everyone has a price, but I genuinely think, with the way things are right now, no-one is going to want to leave.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View WJK1960's Profile WJK1960 Flag 25 Apr 24 9.24am Send a Private Message to WJK1960 Add WJK1960 as a friend

Absolutely loving all the positive comments. Totally deserved.

I know I shouldn't get worked up about this, but big teams already have enough of an advantage without deliberate gamesmanship/cheating. I saw 3 obvious examples yesterday :

1. Guimaraes going down apparently 'badly injured' in about the 25th minute, giving time for Howe to call in the team for a tactical chat. Guimaraes gets up with no ill effects whatsoever. A coincidence that he did this within earshot of the Newcastle
bench ?
2. Continual haranguing of the ref on any contentious decision. I thought new rules were brought in about dissent.
3. Eze free kick in second half. Newcastle players in the wall moving their feet as the free kick was prepared, gaining about 1 to 2 feet on the marker laid down by the ref and then as Eze ran up another 1-2 feet. Clearly the new rule isn't being monitored properly - but I accept the refs have a lot to consider.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 25 Apr 24 9.52am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

I'm not going to nit-pick as we are both very happy so I will respectfully disagree with this point.

Olise coming back has been important. The media focus on the 2 only starting 6 times and that has hurt us. However, other than that, OG is dealing with essentially the same side as RH. Last night no Doucoure, Lerma, Guehi, Johnston or Franca off the bench or Olise to start. And we were up against the form team, 8 places above us for a good reason, who thumped us 4-0 and who had 8 more days than us to prepare. Yet palace players described as "Championship at best" on this site were playing Champions League level. WHO ARE THEY?

That is coaching.

If we can keep our players, make a few sensible improvements and carry this form into next season, people will be talking about us as they are now talking about Villa.

I have to agree.

We've gone from a team utterly dependant on a few players with many more written off to one which performs as an effective unit.

We look fitter, sharper and not only purposeful but entertaining and effective in doing so. That is not (primarily) down to the players and perhaps was not so previously. We now have a manager who trumps any fears around that for me. I'm far less concerned with which player(s) stay/go than I am with OG being at the helm.

We could look at Chelsea/United or even pre-Emery Villa for examples of where 'just buying players' can go so wrong and even prove detrimental for the coaching staff. Having a better quality of player helps of course, I'm not arguing that, but Glasner is the most important facet for me.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 25 Apr 24 10.35am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I have to agree.

We've gone from a team utterly dependant on a few players with many more written off to one which performs as an effective unit.

We look fitter, sharper and not only purposeful but entertaining and effective in doing so. That is not (primarily) down to the players and perhaps was not so previously. We now have a manager who trumps any fears around that for me. I'm far less concerned with which player(s) stay/go than I am with OG being at the helm.

We could look at Chelsea/United or even pre-Emery Villa for examples of where 'just buying players' can go so wrong and even prove detrimental for the coaching staff. Having a better quality of player helps of course, I'm not arguing that, but Glasner is the most important facet for me.


Totally agree Nick.

I wasn't able to see the game so have only seen the extended highlights on the club site.

From the comments on here I an struck by the fact that we performed this well without Olise on the pitch until the final 20.

In other words, it's the system and tactics that are working and the team showing that it is greater than the sum of its parts. Yes, we want to keep Eze and Olise if we can because they are both wonderful, creative very special talents but they aren't essential to our success.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 25 Apr 24 11.03am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I have to agree.

We've gone from a team utterly dependant on a few players with many more written off to one which performs as an effective unit.

We look fitter, sharper and not only purposeful but entertaining and effective in doing so. That is not (primarily) down to the players and perhaps was not so previously. We now have a manager who trumps any fears around that for me. I'm far less concerned with which player(s) stay/go than I am with OG being at the helm.

We could look at Chelsea/United or even pre-Emery Villa for examples of where 'just buying players' can go so wrong and even prove detrimental for the coaching staff. Having a better quality of player helps of course, I'm not arguing that, but Glasner is the most important facet for me.

Glaser has certainly got the team playing, but he wouldn't beat Newcastle if he was managing Rotherham.

You need quality players who can do what you ask of them and do it well.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 25 Apr 24 11.13am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Glaser has certainly got the team playing, but he wouldn't beat Newcastle if he was managing Rotherham.

You need quality players who can do what you ask of them and do it well.

No, but they would not be going down to League 1 either.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 9 of 11 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle match thread