You are here: Home > News > Macken signs up at the Palace
August 31 2025 10.40pm

Macken signs up at the Palace

June 2 2005

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace

Republic of Ireland international striker Jon Macken has signed for Palace on a 4 year deal.

Macken left his former club Manchester City after being told by manager Stuart Pearce that he didn't feature in his plans for next season.

City paid Preston £5 million for Macken's services in Feburary 2002, but he only managed 27 starts for City, and scored 7 goals.

The striker was enthuasitic about his future at Selhurst Park: "I was very disappointed to be told by Stuart Pearce that I would not figure highly in his plans for next season. I felt as though things were just starting to come together for me at City. The team were playing well and there was a real buzz about the place.

"But I need to be playing regularly and having spoken to a few clubs, I was most impressed by Crystal Palace and in particular the manager and Chairman. They both have a reputation for being ambitious men and I was left in no doubt by either of them that a return to the Premiership was the only aim they had for this season.

"Palace were unlucky to be relegated last year and I am now really looking forward to next season and the chance to take them back up again."

Macken is the third player to join Palace since the end of the season. He joins Jobi McAnuf and Darren Ward

Latest Headlines

Palace Talk Forum Latest

Aston Villa vs. Crystal Palace match thread
at 10.37pm by Wisbech Eagle

Marc Guéhi
at 10.37pm by Eaglecoops

Pino
at 10.26pm by radicalsteve

Farewell Eze?
at 10.24pm by radicalsteve

Uefa Conference League
at 9.40pm by mtp1958

Start to the season
at 9.29pm by Swindy

Ollie Van Helsing's Red Blue army
at 9.04pm by PalazioVecchio

Villa Predictions
at 6.38pm by kingdowieonthewall

selhurst stadium speakers
at 6.30pm by viapalace

Steve PLEASE don’t sell Marc
at 5.15pm by Palacesince64

You are here: Home > News > Macken signs up at the Palace