You are here: Home > News > Popovic shown the door
August 22 2026 11.19pm

Popovic shown the door

July 13 2006

Tony Popovic

Tony Popovic

Tony Popovic has been released by Crystal Palace manager Peter Taylor.

The defender was told to look for a new club after returning from Australia's World Cup campaign earlier this month.

Popovic, who joined from Sanfrecce Hiroshima in 2001, was in talks about extending his current contract.

But after a season beset by injury troubles, Taylor opted not to renew the 33-year-old's contract.

Taylor said: "Tony's been released. He's out of contract and I know he has been in talks, but in the end I decided to allow the release."

Latest Headlines

Palace Talk Forum Latest

Riads knee
at 11.14pm by Hrolf The Ganger

Everton vs. Crystal Palace match thread
at 11.11pm by maddog

When it’s Glasner, Mateta & Sarr…
at 11.09pm by leejaneagles

Greedy Scum
at 11.06pm by Teddy Eagle

Ismaïla Sarr
at 11.01pm by Teddy Eagle

Xavier Gozo
at 10.58pm by mogrem

Positive about 26/27
at 10.55pm by mogrem

Mateta Contract
at 10.52pm by BuzzBeats

Wilf,in his prime,presently!!
at 9.16pm by Vaibow

Next season's kit
at 8.06pm by Part Time James

You are here: Home > News > Popovic shown the door