You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread
March 19 2019 5.40pm

The Benteke thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 157 of 159 < 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 11 Feb 19 10.23am Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by thai-eagle

Even RH must have lost all confidence in Benteke now! He's just like Bambi on slippery ice.....

At least RH now has options. Previously there was no choice, but now I'd like to see Bats start, and Benteke dropped to the bench. In seems inevitable that the club will have to take the financial hit on the original transfer fee on getting rid, but you can't keep paying a striker who doesn't score 130k a week.

Edited by southnorwoodhill (11 Feb 2019 10.24am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 11 Feb 19 10.31am Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Watch that chance in the first half. Good strikers keep the ball rolling towards goal with a slight touch to keep it in their control. Not Benteke. He doesn’t know what he’s going to do, traps it, takes it in the direction he’s facing or the ball is moving in after he’s ‘controlled it’ (has he even controlled it?), and then takes a few touches away from goal, making the angle narrower. He’s done this so many times since he’s been with us it’s criminal.

He is absolutely pony imo. I saw glimpses of showing purpose at the start of the season in the opposition half when running towards goal (even if he did take the ball or was jockeyed towards the corner flag) and last week, but I’m sorry, vs West Ham, and for £130k per week?

We really are lumbered with a bad striker and player on the deck. Really bad actually. Never reads anything, is never even in the box when the ball flashes past and what annoys me more is when he chests the ball down for someone in the box and it isn’t near them. He then moans with his arms pointing out as if to say it was there for them when in reality it was several yards away from them (they’re possibly both to blame tbf)

The one case he did have yesterday was when someone on the left didn’t square the ball to Benteke in the 6 yard box and instead missed. Was it MacArthur or Wilf? Can’t remember but Benteke is stealing a living. Good for one season but not worth a quarter of the money since. And I was wanting him back not long ago because Ayew is no central striker. What a sh1t show we’ll be struggling with again next season. Too many eggs in one basket because we didn’t scout anyone for the several seasons we knew striker was going to be an issue.


Edited by Rudi Hedman (10 Feb 2019 12.35pm)

Yes I noticed this too. His whole body shape was wrong and his touch made the angle worse for him. Really poor for a supposed top striker. Yes as ever we can roll out the excuses for him beinginjured, rusty, needs a run games to get up to speed etc. I just dont think hes ever going to get back to that first season form. Maybe the injuries have taken their toll. He cost a lot of money and is on a big contract which I believe expires end of next season. I can only see Palace trying to find a buyer over the summer. Theres no chance we will renew him on a similar type deal and he is unlikely to accept a pay cut. Its even more ublikely we would allow him to run down his contract. I would imagine this is Bentekes last season with us. As harsh as it sounds bes been a burden now for 2 seasons, no room for sentiment if we want to progress in this area.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 11 Feb 19 10.38am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by Wilbraham413

It's insanity to compare Bats and Benteke. One is a player that any team would take, the other is a player we could not give away.

We're stuck with Benteke, so I do hope a miracle occurs, and he regains some level of basic competence, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, I want Bats to start every game to give us the best chance to avoid relegation. I'm fine with Benteke off the bench if we're losing late and need an extra forward, and Wickham and Ayew both have the flu.

The trouble is next season we’ll have Benteke but not Batsman.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 11 Feb 19 10.41am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by MonsterMunch

Yes I noticed this too. His whole body shape was wrong and his touch made the angle worse for him. Really poor for a supposed top striker. Yes as ever we can roll out the excuses for him beinginjured, rusty, needs a run games to get up to speed etc. I just dont think hes ever going to get back to that first season form. Maybe the injuries have taken their toll. He cost a lot of money and is on a big contract which I believe expires end of next season. I can only see Palace trying to find a buyer over the summer. Theres no chance we will renew him on a similar type deal and he is unlikely to accept a pay cut. Its even more ublikely we would allow him to run down his contract. I would imagine this is Bentekes last season with us. As harsh as it sounds bes been a burden now for 2 seasons, no room for sentiment if we want to progress in this area.

Who will take on his £130k per week wages? He CANNOT score. He cannot play football on the floor anymore to be precise and anyone likely to want a header only in the box isn’t likely to pay him £130k per week. We’re probably stuck with him, but I obviously hope not.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 11 Feb 19 10.48am Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Who will take on his £130k per week wages? He CANNOT score. He cannot play football on the floor anymore to be precise and anyone likely to want a header only in the box isn’t likely to pay him £130k per week. We’re probably stuck with him, but I obviously hope not.

Very true. Hes been linked with Turkey in the past but I can only think of one destination that maybe his reputation may still hold some monetary value and could match his wages. I dont know if even they are that stupid though. So all things considered your assessment is probably correct.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ian-VI's Profile Ian-VI Flag Vicenza 11 Feb 19 10.59am Send a Private Message to Ian-VI Add Ian-VI as a friend

I read here and on other topics about users saying that we have to sell him and Wickham in the summer and start investing again in new players.
The statement is correct in theory, but reality is no one will ever buy those 2 players at the wages they're on, not even if we give them for free.
We're stuck with them unfortunately, and their contracts expires June 2020, so for those who think next summer we will buy players, you'd better set your expectations lower, because that won't happen until June 2020.
It will be a massive loss letting them go for free but it will be the only way out.

 


The best footie management game: [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 13 Feb 19 9.44am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

yes, one is a striker

Originally posted by Username


The two are very different strikers.

As soon as Bats came on we were playing to his strengths and looking for the ball over the top and in behind.

Benteke spends the whole game isolated and competing for the ball with no support near him. If we continue with Wilf on the left and Andros on the right, you'll never get the best out of him, because the ball doesn't get into the box quick enough. He's always having to stop and wait for it, and then deal with a centre half.

Also worth pointing out that in terms of his movement, if McArthur had squared the ball properly on two occassions Benteke had got himself in position for a tap in.

Maybe the two together would work, but I do worry it would leave us exposed in the middle.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 13 Feb 19 9.49am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

I came onto this thread hoping to read a new post this morning, hoping to find out a Chinese club were offering £20 million for Benteke.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 13 Feb 19 12.02pm Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Best we can hope for is we loan him elsewhere and only pay say 70% of his wages until his contract runs out in June 2020

He will not go anywhere if it means a drop in income

That is the contract we gave him so more the fool us

The only Turkish connection I have seen was a picture of him in the Salt Bae restaurant in Dubai when he was inured a while back

May have lost his confidence but not his appetite

Originally posted by MonsterMunch

Very true. Hes been linked with Turkey in the past but I can only think of one destination that maybe his reputation may still hold some monetary value and could match his wages. I dont know if even they are that stupid though. So all things considered your assessment is probably correct.

Edited by HKOwen (13 Feb 2019 12.09pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View LukaLukaLuka's Profile LukaLukaLuka Flag Leicestershire 14 Feb 19 7.33pm Send a Private Message to LukaLukaLuka Add LukaLukaLuka as a friend

This is easy to say because its not my 30 million, but we have to get him away and write it off as a very expensive mistake.

It was admiral what Pardew/Parish were trying to do in buying a big name, but it hasn't worked and he is holding us back on the pitch and on the salary he takes.It takes courage to rip the plaster off and get it done, but Parish did it with FDB and I fear he needs to do it again now with Benteke.

Interestingly I heard Tony Cascarino say on TalkSport a few months back that Roy wanted Mitrovic in the summer but couldn't off load Benteke. I'm sure we could get rid of him, the question is - at what price/loss ?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 22 Feb 19 8.05pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

CB has just been on the picture board on ' A Question of Sport' - in Palace kit. He wasn't identified

Edited by YT (22 Feb 2019 8.06pm)

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Booted Eagle's Profile Booted Eagle Flag Bristol 22 Feb 19 8.44pm Send a Private Message to Booted Eagle Add Booted Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by LukaLukaLuka

This is easy to say because its not my 30 million, but we have to get him away and write it off as a very expensive mistake.

It was admiral what Pardew/Parish were trying to do in buying a big name, but it hasn't worked and he is holding us back on the pitch and on the salary he takes.It takes courage to rip the plaster off and get it done, but Parish did it with FDB and I fear he needs to do it again now with Benteke.

Interestingly I heard Tony Cascarino say on TalkSport a few months back that Roy wanted Mitrovic in the summer but couldn't off load Benteke. I'm sure we could get rid of him, the question is - at what price/loss ?

Interesting. Maybe Wickham might go there and Mitrovic come the other way ? As others have said Tekkers won't move down a division, not on the salary he is getting, although that might be the best chance for him to play long term in the PL if he continues to misfire. Certainly been disappointing but at least we got a few goals from him in the beginning, which kept us in the PL. Small crumbs I know.

 


“ [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 157 of 159 < 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread