You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Suggest how this site is run
April 20 2018 7.33am

Suggest how this site is run

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 > Last

 

View davenotamonkey's Profile davenotamonkey Flag 09 Jan 18 3.34pm Send a Private Message to davenotamonkey Add davenotamonkey as a friend

Apologies if I've missed an obvious thread on here.

In case it doesn't exist, I'd quite like this to be a centralised thread where the community can make suggestions and have some input into the kind of place we'd like HOL to be.

I would ask that mods don't simply delete this thread.

Whilst we do not own nor administer this community, we are part of it. Some of us would like to make it better. I feel like "General Talk" is the best place for this thread.

If you can think of ways to make it better, maybe jot something down here, as a "user suggestion"? Please keep it feasible and sensible!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View davenotamonkey's Profile davenotamonkey Flag 09 Jan 18 3.35pm Send a Private Message to davenotamonkey Add davenotamonkey as a friend

I've seen a lot of thread deletion, locking and red-carding on here recently. I've personally stopped wading into debate, as I found the environment to be decidedly toxic enough for any discourse to be ultimately futile.

Suggestions of Kristallpalacenacht and Fahrenheit-451 are decidedly hyperbolic, but I'm afraid I just don't agree with the red-carding of certain particular posters on here, no matter how much I disagree with them. I don't want anyone silenced, unless they are outright abusive... it's often more helpful when those I disagree with are hoisted by their own petards ;-)

To that end, I would ask for a review of recently issued red-cards.

As a suggestion going forward: could yellow-carded profiles be restricted in where they post? Or indeed how soon after said yellow they can post?

Reason: the pompous referee in the 1989 Palace - Brighton 5-penalty thriller would sprint to the corner flag after awarding a penalty. He (supposedly) did this so that players would have the chance to cool down and reflect rather than swarm him with protests and appeals. Someone would have to run over to him and actively harrang him (potentially inviting sanctions if they were too er... forthright).

If I get a yellow because of something I posted in Transfer Talk, perhaps I should receive a short suspension from posting in Transfer Talk? If I $hit-post or snipe in News & Politics, being benched for a while is probably a good move. If I "go for the wo/man and not the ball" right after getting my N&P posting rights back, maybe that's a sign it's red-card Keano-time. Ditto if I'm barred from N&P and then go keyboard-warrior in General Chat.

This is of course just a suggestion, but I think that providing a degree of granularity between a caution and outright ban is good for this community.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 09 Jan 18 3.45pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by davenotamonkey

I've seen a lot of thread deletion, locking and red-carding on here recently. I've personally stopped wading into debate, as I found the environment to be decidedly toxic enough for any discourse to be ultimately futile.

Suggestions of Kristallpalacenacht and Fahrenheit-451 are decidedly hyperbolic, but I'm afraid I just don't agree with the red-carding of certain particular posters on here, no matter how much I disagree with them. I don't want anyone silenced, unless they are outright abusive... it's often more helpful when those I disagree with are hoisted by their own petards ;-)

To that end, I would ask for a review of recently issued red-cards.

As a suggestion going forward: could yellow-carded profiles be restricted in where they post? Or indeed how soon after said yellow they can post?

Reason: the pompous referee in the 1989 Palace - Brighton 5-penalty thriller would sprint to the corner flag after awarding a penalty. He (supposedly) did this so that players would have the chance to cool down and reflect rather than swarm him with protests and appeals. Someone would have to run over to him and actively harrang him (potentially inviting sanctions if they were too er... forthright).

If I get a yellow because of something I posted in Transfer Talk, perhaps I should receive a short suspension from posting in Transfer Talk? If I $hit-post or snipe in News & Politics, being benched for a while is probably a good move. If I "go for the wo/man and not the ball" right after getting my N&P posting rights back, maybe that's a sign it's red-card Keano-time. Ditto if I'm barred from N&P and then go keyboard-warrior in General Chat.

This is of course just a suggestion, but I think that providing a degree of granularity between a caution and outright ban is good for this community.

Judging by recent history I don't think this thread will be available long. But I like your thinking very much and I also abhor the loss of any HOLer, including some whose views were very very far from my own.

I joined the HOL because it self-Polices. We all wade in when someone is being an eejit.

There is sometimes a problem with balance, where one view is put through so forcefully nobody else gets a look in and just gives up. There have also been problems with the monomaniacal posters in their many forms. They definitely need dealing with but IMO not 'got rid of'. Sanitisation is the last thing social media needs. Far better to have many many views, all listened to and taken seriously.

I would hope there may be a way back for recently departed friends and sparring partners.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 09 Jan 18 3.49pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Judging by recent history I don't think this thread will be available long. But I like your thinking very much and I also abhor the loss of any HOLer, including some whose views were very very far from my own.

I joined the HOL because it self-Polices. We all wade in when someone is being an eejit.

There is sometimes a problem with balance, where one view is put through so forcefully nobody else gets a look in and just gives up. There have also been problems with the monomaniacal posters in their many forms. They definitely need dealing with but IMO not 'got rid of'. Sanitisation is the last thing social media needs. Far better to have many many views, all listened to and taken seriously.

I would hope there may be a way back for recently departed friends and sparring partners.

Stone me, another thread just got deleted. See ya Pikester.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Los Angeles, CA 09 Jan 18 3.51pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Red and yellow cards have never been discussed on the boards and has been the policy for over 10 years. You can PM me if you want to know more and see if I can help.

 


Editor of Holmesdale.net

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View davenotamonkey's Profile davenotamonkey Flag 09 Jan 18 4.03pm Send a Private Message to davenotamonkey Add davenotamonkey as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Judging by recent history I don't think this thread will be available long. But I like your thinking very much and I also abhor the loss of any HOLer, including some whose views were very very far from my own.

I joined the HOL because it self-Polices. We all wade in when someone is being an eejit.

There is sometimes a problem with balance, where one view is put through so forcefully nobody else gets a look in and just gives up. There have also been problems with the monomaniacal posters in their many forms. They definitely need dealing with but IMO not 'got rid of'. Sanitisation is the last thing social media needs. Far better to have many many views, all listened to and taken seriously.

I would hope there may be a way back for recently departed friends and sparring partners.

Good post - I agree. I hope that this thread is not deleted.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View davenotamonkey's Profile davenotamonkey Flag 09 Jan 18 4.06pm Send a Private Message to davenotamonkey Add davenotamonkey as a friend

Originally posted by Penge Eagle

Red and yellow cards have never been discussed on the boards and has been the policy for over 10 years. You can PM me if you want to know more and see if I can help.

Thanks for your offer of help PE.

I would really like this (among other aspects) to be discussed someplace by the userbase (of which, of course, you are also a member!) to see what their perspective is.

I don't think there should be "verboten" topics on here, personally, but perhaps that's a discussion for elsewhere ;-)

I also appreciate that this site is a private endeavour, and the Guntrisoft has the final say on how it is run. Dialogue with your users is good though.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Los Angeles, CA 09 Jan 18 4.21pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Judging by recent history I don't think this thread will be available long. But I like your thinking very much and I also abhor the loss of any HOLer, including some whose views were very very far from my own.

I joined the HOL because it self-Polices. We all wade in when someone is being an eejit.

There is sometimes a problem with balance, where one view is put through so forcefully nobody else gets a look in and just gives up. There have also been problems with the monomaniacal posters in their many forms. They definitely need dealing with but IMO not 'got rid of'. Sanitisation is the last thing social media needs. Far better to have many many views, all listened to and taken seriously.

I would hope there may be a way back for recently departed friends and sparring partners.

People come and go and get banned on forums all the time. Times have indeed changed in the era of the internet snowflake and the Twitter hate mob. Was never like this on here five or 10 years ago.

Edited by Penge Eagle (09 Jan 2018 4.22pm)

 


Editor of Holmesdale.net

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lyons550's Profile Lyons550 Flag Shirley 09 Jan 18 4.34pm Send a Private Message to Lyons550 Add Lyons550 as a friend

Have to agree with you guys...the reds, flouncing, resignations that I've seen on here for the last few days simply denigrate the worth of a forum.

There's definitely been cause for concern with the arbitrary way some Mods simply wield the cards but clearly its a fine line at times.

Some of us dont help ourselves admittedly but above all the ability to 'challenge' thought, through debate, should be upheld for the good of the forum.

Without it, there's no freedom of thought or speech and it's pretty much a dictatorship.

Clearly there should be some guidelines, but those posted about sniping, personal attacks I think were and still are fine.

Debate the issue...nothing else

PS isnt it about time we were able to create 'polls' on posts like almost every other forum can nowadays?

 


The Voice of Reason In An Otherwise Mediocre World

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 09 Jan 18 4.38pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Hopefully some flounces will come back.

Back and forth on the forums is apart of and the nature of political discourse. Stuff about mod decisions is better limited to discussions with mods themselves.

But some leeway to some moaning on the forums seems reasonable just as long as it isn't personal about mods.

As said these guys give up their time voluntary and the site wouldn't run properly without them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Los Angeles, CA 09 Jan 18 4.47pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Lyons550

Have to agree with you guys...the reds, flouncing, resignations that I've seen on here for the last few days simply denigrate the worth of a forum.

There's definitely been cause for concern with the arbitrary way some Mods simply wield the cards but clearly its a fine line at times.

Some of us dont help ourselves admittedly but above all the ability to 'challenge' thought, through debate, should be upheld for the good of the forum.

Without it, there's no freedom of thought or speech and it's pretty much a dictatorship.

Clearly there should be some guidelines, but those posted about sniping, personal attacks I think were and still are fine.

Debate the issue...nothing else

PS isnt it about time we were able to create 'polls' on posts like almost every other forum can nowadays?

Talk about over-reaction... This has happened loads on here over the near 20 years, it's nothing new! People get banned and others decide to flounce and stop posting... it's what happens on forums all over the internet. Flouncing is pretty pathetic to be honest!

Anyway, the website policy has ALWAYS been that cards are never discussed on the forum. Now some mischievous posters, who are friends of a banned poster, have decided to stir the pot and start these threads. They have been rightly deleted.

Now if anyone genuinely has a concern, then there is a 'contact us' and a private message function to discuss in private with the administrators. Funny how these people have chosen not to go down this route?

 


Editor of Holmesdale.net

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Los Angeles, CA 09 Jan 18 4.54pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Lyons550


PS isnt it about time we were able to create 'polls' on posts like almost every other forum can nowadays?

The current forum software was built entirely by Guntrisoft and is in need of an update. We both spend many hours ensuring that the forum and website is updated and runs smoothly behind the scenes. However, polls is something that may well appear in a forthcoming upgrade, along with some VERY impressive other features which I'm sure people will like.

 


Editor of Holmesdale.net

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 > Last

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Suggest how this site is run