You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Pre match pubs
January 22 2019 8.44pm

Pre match pubs

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last Ľ

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View tinribzzz's Profile tinribzzz Flag BROMLEY 27 Dec 18 10.32am Send a Private Message to tinribzzz Add tinribzzz as a friend

I don't go to a pub before every home game, much more frequent on the away games. That being said however there are the games where I just really fancy a couple of pints before and there seems to be a good selection near Selhurst (compared to other London teams).

Genuinely speaking the Cherry Tree opposite Norwood station was my place of choice. Big beer garden so good in the summer, walking distance from the ground and a decent atmosphere. It's let down by it's range of beers in my opinion. Would rate it a 7/10 overall.

Yesterday I ventured down to The Holmesdale nearer Selhurst Station. Lovely atmosphere in that bar, a better range of beers including a craft beer on tap. I would also like to add despite the bar being packed, the staff behind it were working their socks off and waiting times were no longer than 5 minutes. 8/10 and may make this a new spot for myself. Slightly longer walk to the ground however than the pubs around the Norwood area.

Where are your pre match pub recommendations? Any that I should visit / Any that should be avoided?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 27 Dec 18 11.42am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

The one on the Whitehorse/Thornton Heath high st mini roundabout has to be up there as the dirtiest. After 5 minutes in there you felt like you needed a wash. Horrible in the summer. I canít remember the name of it and it may have closed down years ago. Prince George? Not much call for pubs round there. 2 others from there just after the up and down the slope on Whitehorse Rd closed down years ago. Duke of Cambridge tucked 20 yards off the main Rd and the big yellow one opposite on the corner. The Crescent? There was the pub on Thornton Heath high st named after a black jazz musician I think. Probably gone.

Donít go to the Wetherspoons opposite Thornton Heath Station. Usually away fans.

Whatís the pub like thatís replaced the Wetherspoons in South Norwood?

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steph_eagle's Profile steph_eagle Flag Thornton Heath 27 Dec 18 12.15pm Send a Private Message to steph_eagle Add steph_eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

The one on the Whitehorse/Thornton Heath high st mini roundabout has to be up there as the dirtiest. After 5 minutes in there you felt like you needed a wash. Horrible in the summer. I canít remember the name of it and it may have closed down years ago. Prince George? Not much call for pubs round there. 2 others from there just after the up and down the slope on Whitehorse Rd closed down years ago. Duke of Cambridge tucked 20 yards off the main Rd and the big yellow one opposite on the corner. The Crescent? There was the pub on Thornton Heath high st named after a black jazz musician I think. Probably gone.

Donít go to the Wetherspoons opposite Thornton Heath Station. Usually away fans.

Whatís the pub like thatís replaced the Wetherspoons in South Norwood?

First of all, the pub is called the Prince Gerorge, it has recently been done up as well. They allow away fans but there are also plenty of staff to deal with the high demands.

The Thomas Farley on the High Street has thankfully closed. As to has the Spoons.

We have another pub by Thornton Heath station, the Railway Telegraph which has a garden and normally is home fans only. Again the pub is clean and plenty of staff to serve.

If you don't know the area, maybe try investigating more before putting the place down.

Oh and theres plenty of call for pubs around there, if you lived there you would see how busy the pubs can get in the week never mind on match days or weekends.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Casual's Profile Casual Flag Orpington 27 Dec 18 1.11pm Send a Private Message to Casual Add Casual as a friend

Originally posted by steph_eagle

First of all, the pub is called the Prince Gerorge, it has recently been done up as well. They allow away fans but there are also plenty of staff to deal with the high demands.

The Thomas Farley on the High Street has thankfully closed. As to has the Spoons.

We have another pub by Thornton Heath station, the Railway Telegraph which has a garden and normally is home fans only. Again the pub is clean and plenty of staff to serve.

If you don't know the area, maybe try investigating more before putting the place down.

Oh and theres plenty of call for pubs around there, if you lived there you would see how busy the pubs can get in the week never mind on match days or weekends.


The Thomas Farley used to be the Muddy Waters, liked it in there back then. Is the victory still down a side Rd off Thornton Heath? tiny little pub, like the duke of Clarence was in Portland Rd.
The Pawson arms used to be decent.
I donít go in the pubs really , unless Iím out for the day, go in the ground, in the sun on the terrace at the Holmesdale, or the red and blue bar to watch the early game.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steph_eagle's Profile steph_eagle Flag Thornton Heath 27 Dec 18 1.18pm Send a Private Message to steph_eagle Add steph_eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Casual


The Thomas Farley used to be the Muddy Waters, liked it in there back then. Is the victory still down a side Rd off Thornton Heath? tiny little pub, like the duke of Clarence was in Portland Rd.
The Pawson arms used to be decent.
I donít go in the pubs really , unless Iím out for the day, go in the ground, in the sun on the terrace at the Holmesdale, or the red and blue bar to watch the early game.

The Farley was a horrible pub, best thing they did closing it. Expensive beer that tasted horrid.

No the Victory has closed.

I used to drink in the Pawsons most match days and was in there recently, it's just a little out of my way.

The Telegraph is more local to me, I'm up where the Grange used to be but I go in the George as well. Both pubs are run well and the beer is decent in both.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ginger Pubic Wig's Profile Ginger Pubic Wig Flag Wickham de L'Ouest 27 Dec 18 6.03pm Send a Private Message to Ginger Pubic Wig Add Ginger Pubic Wig as a friend

depends what you like and how close you wanna be but the bridge house tavern right next to penge west is pleasant & penge west is 2 stops from Norwood junction. (not been in for a while).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag croydon 27 Dec 18 6.16pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

The one on the Whitehorse/Thornton Heath high st mini roundabout has to be up there as the dirtiest. After 5 minutes in there you felt like you needed a wash. Horrible in the summer. I canít remember the name of it and it may have closed down years ago. Prince George? Not much call for pubs round there. 2 others from there just after the up and down the slope on Whitehorse Rd closed down years ago. Duke of Cambridge tucked 20 yards off the main Rd and the big yellow one opposite on the corner. The Crescent? There was the pub on Thornton Heath high st named after a black jazz musician I think. Probably gone.

Donít go to the Wetherspoons opposite Thornton Heath Station. Usually away fans.

Whatís the pub like thatís replaced the Wetherspoons in South Norwood?


To be fair to rudi that pub does look very uninviting from the outside, the back drop isn"t the best but i walked past it last season and didn"t get the urge for a pint!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dorking's Profile dorking Flag 27 Dec 18 6.50pm Send a Private Message to dorking Add dorking as a friend

Selhurst Railway club any good? Never been in there but heard its popular and not too far away

Never seen the attraction of standing in the cold outside the front of the Clifton Arms by the way

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 28 Dec 18 9.33am Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by dorking

Selhurst Railway club any good? Never been in there but heard its popular and not too far away

Never seen the attraction of standing in the cold outside the front of the Clifton Arms by the way

It's decent, but does get busy. Good for an early couple of pints before heading up for a couple in the ground.

I didn't get to many home games in 2018, but I know a couple of lads who've taken to drinking up Clapham junction before the match and they rate it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 28 Dec 18 10.14am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by tinribzzz

I don't go to a pub before every home game, much more frequent on the away games. That being said however there are the games where I just really fancy a couple of pints before and there seems to be a good selection near Selhurst (compared to other London teams).

Genuinely speaking the Cherry Tree opposite Norwood station was my place of choice. Big beer garden so good in the summer, walking distance from the ground and a decent atmosphere. It's let down by it's range of beers in my opinion. Would rate it a 7/10 overall.

Yesterday I ventured down to The Holmesdale nearer Selhurst Station. Lovely atmosphere in that bar, a better range of beers including a craft beer on tap. I would also like to add despite the bar being packed, the staff behind it were working their socks off and waiting times were no longer than 5 minutes. 8/10 and may make this a new spot for myself. Slightly longer walk to the ground however than the pubs around the Norwood area.

Where are your pre match pub recommendations? Any that I should visit / Any that should be avoided?



I'm with you about The Holmesdale. That's where me and my little mob normally go before and then The Clifton sometimes afterwards.

Don't rate The Clifton much but Holmesdale has a cracking atmosphere with the Fanatics etc and all the Palace songs played.

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 28 Dec 18 10.27am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Sadly, the choice of pubs near the ground has diminished over the years.

Goat House, The Ship, Port Manor, The Alliance and Selhurst Arms are gone.

I tend to drink at Boxpark pre match but regularly miss the last train to get to SP for kick off, so have racked up some Uber / Taxi fares this season.

I blame it on the Cronx Pop-Up IPA

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Harry Haddock's Profile Harry Haddock Flag 28 Dec 18 11.21am Send a Private Message to Harry Haddock Add Harry Haddock as a friend

Any idea which pubs near to the ground will be best for the 5000 or so black and white army that will be descending on Selhurst Park next Saturday?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last Ľ

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Pre match pubs