You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > VAR next season
July 19 2019 7.38am

VAR next season

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Phil’s Barber's Profile Phil’s Barber Flag Crowborough 25 Feb 19 11.00am Send a Private Message to Phil’s Barber Add Phil’s Barber as a friend

Thanks for reiterating that Willo.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PALACE FOR EVER's Profile PALACE FOR EVER Flag London 25 Feb 19 12.14pm Send a Private Message to PALACE FOR EVER Add PALACE FOR EVER as a friend

Even with VAR we still have the biggest problem that football has compared with other sports is it used for and that is that many decisions are the opinion of someone not a fact like tennis, was it over a line or not, same with cricket apart from LBW.

 


The pyramid to beat all pyramids!!

[Link]

Find out what team is in which division, eg which division is Coppull United in?

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 25 Feb 19 12.22pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

The World Cup displayed the faults of VAR but it must be improving all the time.

The important thing is they got the decisions right in the end and, if that can be done, that has to be right.

Some of the decisions over the weekend were absurd, refs should welcome the new technology.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 25 Feb 19 12.50pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

There is no justification for delaying VAR.

It cannot be worse than what we have now.
In some cases, rules need to be more clearly defined so there is less room for interpretation.

Hand ball for example.

There should be a set minimum distance that the ball has to be played from to constitute hand ball if there is no arm movement toward the ball.
Any arm movement toward the ball at any distance should constitute hand ball.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 25 Feb 19 12.51pm Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by PALACE FOR EVER

Even with VAR we still have the biggest problem that football has compared with other sports is it used for and that is that many decisions are the opinion of someone not a fact like tennis, was it over a line or not, same with cricket apart from LBW.

You've identified the problem but not the root cause.

As with tennis and Rugby, the decisions are binary. He's either offside or not, the ball is either over the line or it isn't etc.

The difference is that our referees are unable to apply the rules objectively.

The root cause of why VAR won't work is that a referee is still making the decision and they operate under the mad culture of "game management" rather than simply enforcing the laws of the game objectively.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Goal Machine's Profile Goal Machine Flag Croydon 25 Feb 19 1.27pm Send a Private Message to Goal Machine Add Goal Machine as a friend

Having now seen it action for a while, particularly in the Bundesliga, I've decided that I'm against it.

Every big incident seems to have to be checked and it slows everything down during the most crucial parts of the games - goals/penalties/red cards. It will reach a point where you'll have to hold back a goal celebration whilst waiting 20 seconds for the goal to be confirmed.

The difficulty with fouls is that they are so subjective and rarely clean cut. Even after reviewing the replays from several angles its often not clear. Wrong refereeing decisions are currently part and parcel of the game and often adds to the drama and sense of injustice. I like it. Goal line technology is fine as the ruling is very matter of fact.

In my opinion, a better solution would be for the FA to actually clamp down on diving with retrospective punishments. Nothing seems to have happened since the Niasse ban. The FA should dish out fines equal to two weeks wages plus a 3 game suspension. This would make the refereeing job a bit easier.

If VAR is to be used for offsides/penalties, I believe there should be a review system where the captain can review one incident per game. If the captain is wrong, they lose their review. Similar concept to tennis but would reduce all the breaks needed for reviewing every single incident.

As far as Palace are concerned it would be a great thing as the amount of penalties Wilf should get and doesn't is currently beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Goal Machine (25 Feb 2019 1.28pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 25 Feb 19 1.28pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

Interpretation on the Laws is the key.
"If, in the referees opinion,....."

VAR is there for the stuff the referees has missed. The game is extremely fast these days.

Will VAR stop rotational fouling ?
VAR is a step in the right direction, but it won't solve everything

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrCParrot's Profile MrCParrot Flag Taunton 25 Feb 19 1.33pm Send a Private Message to MrCParrot Add MrCParrot as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

The difference is that our referees are unable to apply the rules objectively.

I completely agree. FIFA & FA are not moving this fast enough. I want to see automation for balls out of play like we have in tennis. Same for offside.

The 2 linesmen can then be employed watching TV of the match to support the referee in their decision making.

Eventually we'll get decent decisions and can start talking about the players and stop talking about refs destroying the game.

In any other game, if the official doesn't apply the rules they are called a cheat.

Parrot

 


Mr Cadbury's Parrot says "Hello"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Online Flag Oxford 25 Feb 19 2.11pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by MrCParrot

I completely agree. FIFA & FA are not moving this fast enough. I want to see automation for balls out of play like we have in tennis. Same for offside.

The 2 linesmen can then be employed watching TV of the match to support the referee in their decision making.

Eventually we'll get decent decisions and can start talking about the players and stop talking about refs destroying the game.

In any other game, if the official doesn't apply the rules they are called a cheat.

Parrot

Which automatic system would be capable of indicating which player last touched the ball?

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 25 Feb 19 2.25pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

VAR,..and other developments.

the game is too fast, and there is too much at stake(£££) for a single referee to make a call and be held solely accountable.

Old red-nose started the media campaign against referees with "Fergie Time".
And with players constantly 'acting up' like fcking drama queens, who'd want to be a referee ?

In todays football, under the scrutiny of cameras everywhere, VAR is a small step in the right direction of eliminating specific errors.

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrCParrot's Profile MrCParrot Flag Taunton 25 Feb 19 2.29pm Send a Private Message to MrCParrot Add MrCParrot as a friend

Originally posted by YT
Which automatic system would be capable of indicating which player last touched the ball?

None. Its the ball out of play bit that is automatic.
The lino is off the pitch and informing the ref which way the throw in is for

 


Mr Cadbury's Parrot says "Hello"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 25 Feb 19 2.44pm Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

Having now seen it action for a while, particularly in the Bundesliga, I've decided that I'm against it.

Every big incident seems to have to be checked and it slows everything down during the most crucial parts of the games - goals/penalties/red cards. It will reach a point where you'll have to hold back a goal celebration whilst waiting 20 seconds for the goal to be confirmed.

The difficulty with fouls is that they are so subjective
and rarely clean cut. Even after reviewing the replays from several angles its often not clear. Wrong refereeing decisions are currently part and parcel of the game and often adds to the drama and sense of injustice. I like it. Goal line technology is fine as the ruling is very matter of fact.

In my opinion, a better solution would be for the FA to actually clamp down on diving with retrospective punishments. Nothing seems to have happened since the Niasse ban. The FA should dish out fines equal to two weeks wages plus a 3 game suspension. This would make the refereeing job a bit easier.

If VAR is to be used for offsides/penalties, I believe there should be a review system where the captain can review one incident per game. If the captain is wrong, they lose their review. Similar concept to tennis but would reduce all the breaks needed for reviewing every single incident.

As far as Palace are concerned it would be a great thing as the amount of penalties Wilf should get and doesn't is currently beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Goal Machine (25 Feb 2019 1.28pm)

This is the problem that referees suffer from. Fouls are not subjective.

The ball was either won or it wasn't. The players was either impeded or he wasn't. It is either a foul or it isn't.

There is no subjectivity.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > VAR next season