You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > VAR next season
May 23 2019 6.49pm

VAR next season

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 7 of 10 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Philís Barber's Profile Philís Barber Flag Crowborough 25 Feb 19 8.44pm Send a Private Message to Philís Barber Add Philís Barber as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

I thought it was a perfectly good decision.

Would you care to elaborate as that statement needs some explaining.

The Levante defender swung his boot at thin air and made no contact with the RMA player who wasnít impeded but then threw himself on the floor (dived).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kenners46's Profile kenners46 Flag sydenham village 25 Feb 19 10.51pm Send a Private Message to kenners46 Add kenners46 as a friend

VAR will be checking every goal that is scored so i can see a few being chalked off for petty fouls that otherwise go unpunished...
There was a European game the other day where a goal was given , it went to VAR which took just under 3 minutes to decide a foul on the goalie and then played only 2 mins additional time.
Waste of time for me, we have the goal line technology now leave it at that

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Philís Barber's Profile Philís Barber Flag Crowborough 26 Feb 19 6.58am Send a Private Message to Philís Barber Add Philís Barber as a friend

At this moment in time Iím inclined to agree.

1) Ultimately I still see there being a number of ridiculous and incorrect decisions being given even after the introduction of VAR.

2) The Euphoria of scoring a goal and seeing the referee point to the centre circle and going mental will be gone, as we will all be waiting for the review and for it to be chalked off because of some innocuous infringement in the build up 2 minutes earlier.

3) I see VAR creeping in to more and more decisions and the time it will take to review them all and go through the process will further kill the game and the atmosphere.

4) I can see the game becoming a game of penalties. The slow motion review process seems to award a penalty where there is ANY contact on the attacking player. Those of us who have played the game know this doesnít necessarily mean that itís a foul, far from it.
Furthermore, precisely as with France in the World Cup Final, we are going to see ridiculous handball incidents which are not intentional, given as penalties following the numerous slo-mo replays to decide whether it touched the hand or not. Add to this the numerous corners and free kicks that will be reviewed for shirt pulling and holding etc...then I can see games with 3 or more penalties per side being commonplace.

VAR is a good idea in principle but the way it is currently being implemented, the detrimental effect it is having on the flow of the game and the atmosphere and the fact that it hasnít eliminated the ridiculous and incorrect decisions we are still witnessing regularly tells me that it isnít fit for purpose in its current form and I for one much prefer games without it (even taking into account the injustice Wilf suffers week in week out).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View bifffabazz's Profile bifffabazz Flag Witney, Oxon 26 Feb 19 7.19am Send a Private Message to bifffabazz Add bifffabazz as a friend

Originally posted by Philís Barber

At this moment in time Iím inclined to agree.

1) Ultimately I still see there being a number of ridiculous and incorrect decisions being given even after the introduction of VAR.

2) The Euphoria of scoring a goal and seeing the referee point to the centre circle and going mental will be gone, as we will all be waiting for the review and for it to be chalked off because of some innocuous infringement in the build up 2 minutes earlier.

3) I see VAR creeping in to more and more decisions and the time it will take to review them all and go through the process will further kill the game and the atmosphere.

4) I can see the game becoming a game of penalties. The slow motion review process seems to award a penalty where there is ANY contact on the attacking player. Those of us who have played the game know this doesnít necessarily mean that itís a foul, far from it.
Furthermore, precisely as with France in the World Cup Final, we are going to see ridiculous handball incidents which are not intentional, given as penalties following the numerous slo-mo replays to decide whether it touched the hand or not. Add to this the numerous corners and free kicks that will be reviewed for shirt pulling and holding etc...then I can see games with 3 or more penalties per side being commonplace.

VAR is a good idea in principle but the way it is currently being implemented, the detrimental effect it is having on the flow of the game and the atmosphere and the fact that it hasnít eliminated the ridiculous and incorrect decisions we are still witnessing regularly tells me that it isnít fit for purpose in its current form and I for one much prefer games without it (even taking into account the injustice Wilf suffers week in week out).


^This^ (with bells on)

Incredulity is going to increase as the inconsistency ramps up. One incident getting VAR attention in one match will not get VAR in the next. It is imho, going to be carnage and by far the best way to keep on top of the game we love is (as one earlier poster put it) increase the retro banning system. Salah, Hernandez, Snodgrass, Hazard, Capoue etc would all have to start behaving then!

My concern is more cynical however in that I think VAR is being introduced to make things more exciting for the armchairers...at the cost of those in the stadium.

 


Spirit of 1974

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 26 Feb 19 7.30am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by bifffabazz


My concern is more cynical however in that I think VAR is being introduced to make things more exciting for the armchairers...at the cost of those in the stadium.

Why? The so called armchairers already have the benefit of seeing the incident over again and in slow motion too so it wouldn't make any difference to their enjoyment.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 26 Feb 19 7.54am Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

I think it should be implemented along the lines of yankee egg catch.

Each manager gets a couple of challenges to a decision a game, that's it.

If it's missed in open game, it's missed. Otherwise every little incident is going to be scrutinized and the referees aren't capable of getting it correct even under review anyway.

Every goal can be checked for offset and the ref advised.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View spartakev2's Profile spartakev2 Flag Anerley 26 Feb 19 8.29am Send a Private Message to spartakev2 Add spartakev2 as a friend

Originally posted by Philís Barber

At this moment in time Iím inclined to agree.

1) Ultimately I still see there being a number of ridiculous and incorrect decisions being given even after the introduction of VAR.

2) The Euphoria of scoring a goal and seeing the referee point to the centre circle and going mental will be gone, as we will all be waiting for the review and for it to be chalked off because of some innocuous infringement in the build up 2 minutes earlier.

3) I see VAR creeping in to more and more decisions and the time it will take to review them all and go through the process will further kill the game and the atmosphere.

4) I can see the game becoming a game of penalties. The slow motion review process seems to award a penalty where there is ANY contact on the attacking player. Those of us who have played the game know this doesnít necessarily mean that itís a foul, far from it.
Furthermore, precisely as with France in the World Cup Final, we are going to see ridiculous handball incidents which are not intentional, given as penalties following the numerous slo-mo replays to decide whether it touched the hand or not. Add to this the numerous corners and free kicks that will be reviewed for shirt pulling and holding etc...then I can see games with 3 or more penalties per side being commonplace.

VAR is a good idea in principle but the way it is currently being implemented, the detrimental effect it is having on the flow of the game and the atmosphere and the fact that it hasnít eliminated the ridiculous and incorrect decisions we are still witnessing regularly tells me that it isnít fit for purpose in its current form and I for one much prefer games without it (even taking into account the injustice Wilf suffers week in week out).

This is my main concern. A goal is scored and the crowd go mental......then the ref has to check VAR and the moment is lost. Will really effect the atmosphere at a game.

Edited by spartakev2 (26 Feb 2019 9.16am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View crvenaeagle's Profile crvenaeagle Flag 26 Feb 19 8.38am Send a Private Message to crvenaeagle Add crvenaeagle as a friend

God, footballs crap isn't it?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 26 Feb 19 9.34am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Philís Barber

Would you care to elaborate as that statement needs some explaining.

The Levante defender swung his boot at thin air and made no contact with the RMA player who wasnít impeded but then threw himself on the floor (dived).

It would be seen to be reckless as it very nearly was if contact had been properly made, any defender booting the ball away in that manner is taking a huge risk as in this case if the attacker gets his foot to the ball first, it was luck that contact was minimal and you know you only have to touch someone, don't you.
There has to be a fine line where both worlds meet and here it is.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 26 Feb 19 10.23am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

Interestingly it could be the TV Companies that scupper full use of it.
They love the media attention that poor decisions give them and so they will point to TV schedules needing to be adhered to and say that there can only be a limited time added to games and so unless VAR is used properly and quickly then it won't work for them and they wield incredible power.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 26 Feb 19 10.26am Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

Interestingly it could be the TV Companies that scupper full use of it.
They love the media attention that poor decisions give them and so they will point to TV schedules needing to be adhered to and say that there can only be a limited time added to games and so unless VAR is used properly and quickly then it won't work for them and they wield incredible power.

Or:

They fully endorse it and use the opportunity to shoe horn in adverts mid-game like they do in the states.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Goal Machine's Profile Goal Machine Flag Croydon 26 Feb 19 12.39pm Send a Private Message to Goal Machine Add Goal Machine as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

It is that black and white.

Subjectivity regarding offside FFS. They're either offside or they're not.

It boils down to competency: can the referee enforce to law, or do they allow subjectivity to influence them. The culture encourages the latter, so VAR will never work.

Edited by ChrisGC (25 Feb 2019 6.22pm)

As Willo said, not when it comes to judging whether a player is an offside position and if they're interfering with play or not.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 7 of 10 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > VAR next season