You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Culture War
August 22 2019 9.01pm

Culture War

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

 

View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 20 Jul 19 8.14pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Don’t confuse the poor bloke, Wisbech.

No need for any help from me. The confusion is there in plain sight.

Like even considering that the reason why movies have themes that are popular is because they make more money than films that aren't.

So if you don't like those themes maybe that's because your own views aren't that popular.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 20 Jul 19 8.19pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Reegan was elected president about 38 years ago and Eastwood stood and won as an independent for Major about thirty years ago and is a libertarian more than a republican anyway.

The Democrat party is top to bottom with Hollywood producers and actors......anyone watching the Obama presidency saw it and can see it in the US entertainment industry again....top to bottom.

Yet the country politically is roughly half and half.....all this waffle about corporations not being political and only caring about the green is openly dishonest.

Edited by Stirlingsays (20 Jul 2019 8.48pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 20 Jul 19 9.12pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

In any capitalistic system, of which the USA is the prime example, every corporation that is publicly owned and not controlled by an individual or group of like minded people, is bound to try to increase shareholder value. That's their mission.

In the movie business you make money by making successful movies and not by concerning yourself whether any of the politics involved in the narrative is of the left or right.

If a Director, whatever his personal political beliefs, makes successful movies then he will get the gigs. The Hollywood industry could be completely full of those who are themselves Democrats. People in the arts generally tend towards left of centre views. That though is not the least bit relevant other than in right wing minds.

If, and it's a very big if because I don't believe it myself, the movies do have more left wing attitudes than right being shown then the only reason must be that such movies make more money because they are more popular. I see plenty of evidence of right wing attitudes myself. It has nothing to do with the politics of the employees of the Corporations. They just write the scripts, direct the movies and act in them. Corporations are not fools. Nor will their shareholders allow them to be.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 20 Jul 19 9.22pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Was he a Republican or a Democrat?

That was the only point I made! Not what he did outside of acting before he used his fame to promote himself. In fact he co-operated in trying to identify communists within the industry so he was pretty right wing even then.

Not standing up to McCarthy doesn’t necessarily make him right wing. Not many people stood up to Stalin or Mao either and the consequences of doing so were a lot more serious.
As has been pointed out on other threads Lincoln was a Republican too so they’re not all bad.
This is where there is a contractural obligation to point out that he wasn’t really a Republican.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 20 Jul 19 9.28pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

In any capitalistic system, of which the USA is the prime example, every corporation that is publicly owned and not controlled by an individual or group of like minded people, is bound to try to increase shareholder value. That's their mission.

In the movie business you make money by making successful movies and not by concerning yourself whether any of the politics involved in the narrative is of the left or right.

If a Director, whatever his personal political beliefs, makes successful movies then he will get the gigs. The Hollywood industry could be completely full of those who are themselves Democrats. People in the arts generally tend towards left of centre views. That though is not the least bit relevant other than in right wing minds.

If, and it's a very big if because I don't believe it myself, the movies do have more left wing attitudes than right being shown then the only reason must be that such movies make more money because they are more popular. I see plenty of evidence of right wing attitudes myself. It has nothing to do with the politics of the employees of the Corporations. They just write the scripts, direct the movies and act in them. Corporations are not fools. Nor will their shareholders allow them to be.

The highest grossing films are almost exclusively about super heroes or other children’s films, the adult fans of which complain about the increasing “woke” attitudes expressed.
What are these films with what you regard as right wing attitudes?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 20 Jul 19 10.19pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Not standing up to McCarthy doesn’t necessarily make him right wing. Not many people stood up to Stalin or Mao either and the consequences of doing so were a lot more serious.
As has been pointed out on other threads Lincoln was a Republican too so they’re not all bad.
This is where there is a contractural obligation to point out that he wasn’t really a Republican.

He did rather more than just not stand up to him. He collaborated with him and was a secret FBI informant.

And as been pointed out in these threads many times before the Republicans and Democrats of yesterday do not really represent the parties today.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 20 Jul 19 10.26pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

The highest grossing films are almost exclusively about super heroes or other children’s films, the adult fans of which complain about the increasing “woke” attitudes expressed.
What are these films with what you regard as right wing attitudes?

As I regard all super hero films as utter tripe I never watch them but a kids movie can hardly be political can it? Promote good moral standards perhaps but that's different.

I regard pretty much all action movies as more to the right than the left. Things like the "Die Hard" series as examples. Movies that see guns, guts and glory as the answer to our troubles.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 20 Jul 19 10.30pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Both Star Wars & Star Trek couldn't be anymore woke if they tried.

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 20 Jul 19 10.33pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Die Hard?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 20 Jul 19 10.34pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

He did rather more than just not stand up to him. He collaborated with him and was a secret FBI informant.

And as been pointed out in these threads many times before the Republicans and Democrats of yesterday do not really represent the parties today.

Contractual obligation fulfilled.
The political opinions of 60+ years ago don’t represent those today either but the consequences of not cooperating with HUAC were potentially severe. I don’t think I would’ve been brave enough to do it
Quite why America was so terrified by communists is another question.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 20 Jul 19 10.39pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Jimenez

Both Star Wars & Star Trek couldn't be anymore woke if they tried.

Disney, Marvel, Star Trek, Star Wars......We could go on and on....but apparently you see Hollywood are just giving society the progressivism they want.

You know....the country where half voted for Trump.....So where are the 'Republican' like movies if corperations are just 'giving the public what they want'......No, apparently all these Trump voters want 'woke' action movies.

The dishonesty oozes through the words.

But appartently it's evened out because 'Die Hard'. What conservative politics were in 'Die Hard' movies anyway?

Edited by Stirlingsays (20 Jul 2019 10.41pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 21 Jul 19 7.21am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Jimenez

Both Star Wars & Star Trek couldn't be anymore woke if they tried.

I just love the way that American slang is used to justify these opinions.

What does being "woke" imply anyway. Apparently it implies "a perceived awareness of social and racial justice". Now for me that's apolitical! You can be aware of such things whatever your politics. Maybe if you are suffering from social or racial injustice then you will be more "woke" to it but that doesn't imply anything about your political opinions.

If movie Corporations decide to include stories which deal with injustice then that's because people will pay good money to see them. It's called a commercial judgement.

It has nothing to do with any desire to "even out" the type of movies being made just because the USA is currently politically divided. Most of the movies are made with international markets in mind anyway but even if they were solely reliant on the US market the decisions on content would still be totally objective. The only decision that matters to a commercially orientated business is what generates the most income. Anyone trying to tell you anything different cannot have worked in commerce. Maybe they were a teacher!

Edited by Wisbech Eagle (21 Jul 2019 7.28am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Culture War