You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Police Numbers
October 22 2019 6.34pm

Police Numbers

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

 

View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 26 Jul 19 4.49pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Exactly. Let's hope that a proper programme is developed but the idea of doing this from a standing start in three years looks highly unlikely at this time. The Forces already find hiring difficult in areas of strong employment. They have a 7% attrition rate. So that means they are already hiring 9,000 officers a year and training them. To achieve an extra 20k, taking into account those that fail or leave quickly, you effectively need to double the hiring rate.

Not only that, they have an extraordinary vacancy rate already:

''14 London boroughs have vacancy rates of over 6%, with five facing double digit deficits. Harrow is shown to have the highest percentage of vacancies, with 15% of its sergeant and constable posts unfilled. Waltham Forest had the highest overall number, with 72 vacancies from a force of 664.''

So they need to at least TRIPLE their current activity rate from sourcing, through interviewing and hiring, to onboarding, to basic training, to performance management and to continuing development.

Boris is just a prize prune.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Beckenham 26 Jul 19 5.03pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Not only that, they have an extraordinary vacancy rate already:

''14 London boroughs have vacancy rates of over 6%, with five facing double digit deficits. Harrow is shown to have the highest percentage of vacancies, with 15% of its sergeant and constable posts unfilled. Waltham Forest had the highest overall number, with 72 vacancies from a force of 664.''

So they need to at least TRIPLE their current activity rate from sourcing, through interviewing and hiring, to onboarding, to basic training, to performance management and to continuing development.

Boris is just a prize prune.

So when Labour pledged to put 10,000 extra police two years ago, it was fine.

When the Tories want 20,000 extra police into place, it's not. I don't understand.

Boris was right about the negative doomsayers in this country like the Labour party and remainers.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 26 Jul 19 5.10pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Penge Eagle

So when Labour pledged to put 10,000 extra police two years ago, it was fine.

When the Tories want 20,000 extra police into place, it's not. I don't understand.

Boris was right about the negative doomsayers in this country like the Labour party and remainers.

I think I was pretty clear.

We need the extra numbers and they never should have been removed.

Just announcing 20k is simple populism without a plan. It is totally undeliverable and he has form on this particular approach.

I would have lauded him had he come up with any kind of programmatic approach with some minimal detail on e.g. ramping up the Police Colleges. But this is spin and fluff. Talk with me in 3 years time and find out how many Police there are in reality then. And whether the Forces have been flooded with inappropriate and/or poorly trained recruits.

By the way, just in case you are interested, I have worked for Kent Constabulary and Hertfordshire Constabulary reviewing and advising on HR processes.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 26 Jul 19 5.45pm Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by Ghostship

Finding 20,000 people that want to become Police Officers will be practically impossible to start with. When you look at the pros and cons of the job now compared to previous decades I would be amazed if they manage to get 20k in three years. Dealing with the public these days is a thoroughly unpleaseant job.

...and let's not forget, those 20,000 will also have to fit to the equality and diversity quotas.......

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 26 Jul 19 5.59pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

It's all paperwork and no visibility nowadays with the police. We definitely need more police but also a different approach to policing in general.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Beckenham 26 Jul 19 6.18pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I think I was pretty clear.

We need the extra numbers and they never should have been removed.

Just announcing 20k is simple populism without a plan. It is totally undeliverable and he has form on this particular approach.

I would have lauded him had he come up with any kind of programmatic approach with some minimal detail on e.g. ramping up the Police Colleges. But this is spin and fluff. Talk with me in 3 years time and find out how many Police there are in reality then. And whether the Forces have been flooded with inappropriate and/or poorly trained recruits.

By the way, just in case you are interested, I have worked for Kent Constabulary and Hertfordshire Constabulary reviewing and advising on HR processes.

It's no good going back in time, cuts were made across multiple areas to balance the books of the country. The defence budget was cut massively also meaning we can barely fight off Iran right now. We are now in a better position with a budget surplus, albeit two years later than Osborn had planned, to start spending again.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Online Flag Chatham 26 Jul 19 6.36pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by dollardays

It's all paperwork and no visibility nowadays with the police. We definitely need more police but also a different approach to policing in general.

Also reoffending is a big taker of police time.
More jails would mean less reoffending.
Some are reoffending tens of times.
Jail then rehabilitation and a chance.
At least that limits the blame game.
Front loaded cost for long term gain.
I'm sure we dont have newgate any more so it needs a long term approach.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 26 Jul 19 6.46pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

So crime soars because of immigration and the public have to pay the bill for more police?

I didn't vote for mass immigration.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 26 Jul 19 7.15pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Also reoffending is a big taker of police time.
More jails would mean less reoffending.
Some are reoffending tens of times.
Jail then rehabilitation and a chance.
At least that limits the blame game.
Front loaded cost for long term gain.
I'm sure we dont have newgate any more so it needs a long term approach.

Yes, it does become a bit of a joke when it's the same characters in the police stations and the jail cells again and again.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 26 Jul 19 7.18pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

which would you choose :

- cops that are pitbulls

or

- cops that dance at carnivals with lgbt rainbows, drink coffee and are cautious not to offend


 


from the Etihad, Emirates, Molyneux, London Stadium & Anfield to Old Trafford.....Raptors on the Road

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kenners46's Profile kenners46 Flag sydenham village 26 Jul 19 7.31pm Send a Private Message to kenners46 Add kenners46 as a friend

I would imagine you would need to almost double the figures quoted as turn over will be high, will people not making the grade be pushed through just to make up the numbers...great idea but seems a lack of planning, best of luck to anyone thinking of joining, you will have my support

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 26 Jul 19 7.42pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by Ghostship

Finding 20,000 people that want to become Police Officers will be practically impossible to start with. When you look at the pros and cons of the job now compared to previous decades I would be amazed if they manage to get 20k in three years. Dealing with the public these days is a thoroughly unpleaseant job.


....plus the fact that joe public constantly follows after you with his phone recording your every word/movement/gesture. Nightmare job.

 


from the Etihad, Emirates, Molyneux, London Stadium & Anfield to Old Trafford.....Raptors on the Road

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Police Numbers