You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Time for a clear out in Jan ?
December 8 2019 6.01am

Time for a clear out in Jan ?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View carpycarlos's Profile carpycarlos Flag 26 Nov 19 6.07pm Send a Private Message to carpycarlos Add carpycarlos as a friend

No one wants the diving, cheating cry baby!! Should have cashed in while you had the chance. Muzzer would fetch more than him now (and probably score more too!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View braunstoneagle's Profile braunstoneagle Flag the middle of bumf*** nowhere... 26 Nov 19 6.50pm Send a Private Message to braunstoneagle Add braunstoneagle as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Pretty much agree here and we often disagree. But it’s also the regular starters who are ageing and most are in their final best year(s). That is going to cost money and with Zaha probably depreciating in value every week and the wage bill still too high after a cull of players, I see a very difficult task ahead unless the club is sold, which is what it’s going to take seeing as players like Benteke are being extended just so they don’t buy anyone rather than to protect an asset value of zero or minus however much you value his wages to be of complete waste.

we actually have the oldest first team in the league fella, which is probably why the owners are looking to sell, as they know its going to be bloody expensive to regenerate the squad, nigh on impossible when you look at fees being paid nowadays.

i personally dont see bentekes contract as a waste as he is 28 and (i assume) paying him similar to schlupp/pva/kouyate etc on his new contract means he is no longer a “top earner” he has done it in the past & could do it again, a calculated risk i suppose

however giving wickham a new contract doesnt make sense to me, even if he is only 26. for me losing dann jairo & wickham would probably shave near to 7/8% off our wage bill, which would help, and in all honesty we wouldnt need to replace them given between then they played a combined 920minutes since the start of last season, which is awful return for best part of £8m in wages.

i think i am comfortable saying we are now an established PL side, how we evolve the squad over the next few seasons will determine if we keep on keeping on, or f*** it all up and bottom half champ team for a decade again.

more than ever, our recruitment is key in the near future.

 


‘Football isn’t instant coffee. You have to work at it. You must grow the bean, grind it.’ Ian Holloway


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 26 Nov 19 7.49pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Agree, apart from Benteke, who’s a one trick pony who can only head the ball and nothing else, so it’ll depend on who manages him and how.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 27 Nov 19 8.11am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Pretty much agree here and we often disagree. But it’s also the regular starters who are ageing and most are in their final best year(s). That is going to cost money and with Zaha probably depreciating in value every week and the wage bill still too high after a cull of players, I see a very difficult task ahead unless the club is sold, which is what it’s going to take seeing as players like Benteke are being extended just so they don’t buy anyone rather than to protect an asset value of zero or minus however much you value his wages to be of complete waste.

Its like a complete rebuild of the team, as much as I respect Roy, that is surly a job for a younger manager

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 27 Nov 19 8.14am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

This if course your interpretation of my comments.

In any event I don't need to respond to such challenges. One suspects that over the years on HOL I have posted postives about our team but I'm not challenging you to trawl through my posts to find examples.

I really do not think it is unreasonable to assume that we could well be drawn into a relegation battle as we have 'Form' on this matter!

I like your posts Willo, wish I had your command of grammar .


Edited by Willo (25 Nov 2019 6.39pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 27 Nov 19 12.46pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

It's an interesting idea that we could have 'a clear out' in January of the players we no longer fancy.

Every club has players they might like to get off their wage bill, but they are contracted employees. Someone has to buy them if you want them gone. Otherwise you are wasting your time even thinking about it.

You can't just take them to the breach and leave them there like a dog you bought the kids for Christmas.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 27 Nov 19 12.47pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

It's an interesting idea that we could have 'a clear out' in January of the players we no longer fancy.

Every club has players they might like to get off their wage bill, but they are contracted employees. Someone has to buy them if you want them gone. Otherwise you are wasting your time even thinking about it.

You can't just take them to the breach and leave them there like a dog you bought the kids for Christmas.

Absolutely spot-on.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View braunstoneagle's Profile braunstoneagle Flag the middle of bumf*** nowhere... 27 Nov 19 5.48pm Send a Private Message to braunstoneagle Add braunstoneagle as a friend

interestingly enough...just looked at our contract end dates...christ we could have a completely different squad in 2 years time

2020

camerasa
dann
dean henderson

2021

cahill
jimmy mac
wayne
big mamadou
bentekkers
pva
andros
guiata
kelly
ward
wickham
meyer
schlupp

 


‘Football isn’t instant coffee. You have to work at it. You must grow the bean, grind it.’ Ian Holloway


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kev64's Profile kev64 Flag Thorney, Cambs 27 Nov 19 7.26pm Send a Private Message to kev64 Add kev64 as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

..Cabaye flattered to deceive, much preferred Puncheon who also took much much better free kicks and corners etc, waste of money.

Wow that has to the most ridiculous quote of 2019 and there’s stiff competition. Puncheon .. seriously ffs

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Booted Eagle's Profile Booted Eagle Flag Bristol 27 Nov 19 9.43pm Send a Private Message to Booted Eagle Add Booted Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by braunstoneagle

we actually have the oldest first team in the league fella, which is probably why the owners are looking to sell, as they know its going to be bloody expensive to regenerate the squad, nigh on impossible when you look at fees being paid nowadays.

i personally dont see bentekes contract as a waste as he is 28 and (i assume) paying him similar to schlupp/pva/kouyate etc on his new contract means he is no longer a “top earner” he has done it in the past & could do it again, a calculated risk i suppose

however giving wickham a new contract doesnt make sense to me, even if he is only 26. for me losing dann jairo & wickham would probably shave near to 7/8% off our wage bill, which would help, and in all honesty we wouldnt need to replace them given between then they played a combined 920minutes since the start of last season, which is awful return for best part of £8m in wages.

i think i am comfortable saying we are now an established PL side, how we evolve the squad over the next few seasons will determine if we keep on keeping on, or f*** it all up and bottom half champ team for a decade again.

more than ever, our recruitment is key in the near future.

Could make up a deal in the Championship if anybody was willing to take a gamble on his fitness ?

 


“ [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CharlesPaterson's Profile CharlesPaterson Flag 02 Dec 19 10.49pm Send a Private Message to CharlesPaterson Add CharlesPaterson as a friend

Originally posted by Booted Eagle

Could make up a deal in the Championship if anybody was willing to take a gamble on his fitness ?


We should have cut our losses and let his contract expire. I can't see anyone taking a chance on someone who's played so few games (around 20) in the last 4 seasons. Pointless extending his contract when (even if fit) Roy doesn't play him.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag 03 Dec 19 10.57am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

I hope people like Jairo leave if only on loan - he was a Dutch international when we signed him and now can't even get a game at either centre back or defensive mid when we play a 2nd X1. Don't think he played 1 minute in prem last year and is on c£45k a week.
He needs to get his career going again, even if that means a drop in wages.

Max will not make it in the Prem - too lightweight and is not overly creative. Doubt there will be any takers with his high wages.

Maybe Camarasso's loan can be cut short - had high hopes for him, but clearly Roy doesn't rate.

Whilst we do need a striker I would also like us to buy some young talent from the lower leagues, predominantly to sit on the bench and learn their trade.
A winger, a speedy striker and a full back are all needed IMHO. After all that was always the Palace way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Time for a clear out in Jan ?