You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Inside the mind of a referee
February 27 2020 9.13pm

Inside the mind of a referee

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 3 First< 1 2 3

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 14 Feb 20 12.52pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Elpis

I did such a course many years ago and todays refs just don't follow what were the basics back then of running the diagonals and the positions they should take up at corners ,free kicks ect .
In short they don't do themselves any favours in being in the best position to get their own game in order . Maybe its all changed and the powers to be have given different instructions to refs but sometimes I look at situations and see the ref not being able to make a correct decision because they are not in the right place

Im not defending refs here, but, i wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Yes, we were taught to run diagonals, where to stand, place yourself to be opposite your linesman with free kicks, corners etc.

With the advent of Sky etc & the pace of the game(in the top tiers), refs are urged not to do the basics of the game, because, TV will pick it up & they need to be physically able to get into the other half due to a counter attack. Top tier refs are given a lot more help than people realise & i dont mean VAR.

 


Is joining the 'Grumpy Old Gits' Club

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kennybrowns leftfoot's Profile kennybrowns leftfoot Online Flag Moved Again.. Banstead now Darling... 15 Feb 20 12.06am Send a Private Message to kennybrowns leftfoot Add kennybrowns leftfoot as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Bournemouth are about to kick over a hornets nest.

[Link]

If Moss is found guilty of making remarks to a player I suspect that the referees will close ranks and say okay what's good for the goose....

Players give officials abuse all the time and yet the poor shrinking violets can't take it when it comes the other way.

I can see a lot more players getting booked for mouthing off, well done Bournemouth.

Edited by Badger11 (12 Feb 2020 2.45pm)

This article did make me laugh... Do these players forget that they speak to officials like absolute crap??... so the ref gave it back a little... good for him I say... my old man was a ref to a very high standard and works for the FA now as an assessor of referees... not saying Im behind them 100% and obviously they are human and make mistakes and there are good and bad like in every job but I do think we twist things a bit to much as supporters with regard to referee bias etc...

 


Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind, the race is long. But in the end it's only with yourself!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 16 Feb 20 2.59pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13

Im not defending refs here, but, i wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Yes, we were taught to run diagonals, where to stand, place yourself to be opposite your linesman with free kicks, corners etc.

With the advent of Sky etc & the pace of the game(in the top tiers), refs are urged not to do the basics of the game, because, TV will pick it up & they need to be physically able to get into the other half due to a counter attack. Top tier refs are given a lot more help than people realise & i dont mean VAR.

The speed of the modern game can be phenomenal. This is due to better pitches, bouncier footballs and improved player fitness. VAR was meant to assist referees, and not to open them to criticism. VAR is still a much-needed work in progress.

Being a referee takes a special kind of person. Much like a traffic warden.

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dannyh.V2's Profile Dannyh.V2 Flag Stone lickers 17 Feb 20 1.16pm Send a Private Message to Dannyh.V2 Add Dannyh.V2 as a friend

Originally posted by Forest Hillbilly

The speed of the modern game can be phenomenal. This is due to better pitches, bouncier footballs and improved player fitness. VAR was meant to assist referees, and not to open them to criticism. VAR is still a much-needed work in progress.

Being a referee takes a special kind of person. Much like a traffic warden.

Bullsh1t.

I took up refereeing when My ankles couldn't take playing regularly anymore. I wish more players would do the same and realise just how pathetic they look when arguing over a decision that the offical is spot on about.

Furthermore since the introduction of Sin Bin's in grass root football, the amount of "abuse" received is getting less and less. Personally I think being 16 stone and 6 Foot helps persuade players at the grass roots level not to push me to much. However in some of the higher leagues you still do get players calling you a fcuking cheat etc etc, having the power to say or really go and have a 10 min rest and think about what you just said, is having a positive effect.

The sooner it's brought into the professional, the better.

I personally know a young female ref, who got dogs abuse at a game I was mentoring her on. She is 14 it was a parent of a player and a coach giving her abuse.

Why do coaches parents etc think it's ok to slag off a referee and receive nothing back ?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 17 Feb 20 2.03pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Dannyh.V2

Bullsh1t.

I took up refereeing when My ankles couldn't take playing regularly anymore. I wish more players would do the same and realise just how pathetic they look when arguing over a decision that the offical is spot on about.

Furthermore since the introduction of Sin Bin's in grass root football, the amount of "abuse" received is getting less and less. Personally I think being 16 stone and 6 Foot helps persuade players at the grass roots level not to push me to much. However in some of the higher leagues you still do get players calling you a fcuking cheat etc etc, having the power to say or really go and have a 10 min rest and think about what you just said, is having a positive effect.

The sooner it's brought into the professional, the better.

I personally know a young female ref, who got dogs abuse at a game I was mentoring her on. She is 14 it was a parent of a player and a coach giving her abuse.

Why do coaches parents etc think it's ok to slag off a referee and receive nothing back ?

I recall,several years ago, watching a non-league game refereed by a gentleman from Yorkshire.On receiving a tirade from a player, he warned him that if he carried on he would be sent off.
The referee growled in a voice akin to a Dogger Bank foghorn "Shooot oop or you will be back in the warm" which drew chortles from players and spectators alike.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 3 First< 1 2 3

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Inside the mind of a referee