You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Sir Keir Starmer
January 19 2021 11.07am

Sir Keir Starmer

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 9 of 35 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

 

View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 09 Apr 20 3.00pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I have a medal for my school goalkeeping somewhere.

PE teacher didn't like me though, he was a nasty piece of work.

They usually are, and always the one to deal out the stick, one of ours liked it a bit to much in my opinion!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 09 Apr 20 3.08pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


As Woody Allen said - Those who canít do teach. And those who canít teach, teach gym.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 09 Apr 20 3.11pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

They usually are, and always the one to deal out the stick, one of ours liked it a bit to much in my opinion!

One of ours smoked.....A PE teacher who smoked.

When I think of it now, the non conformity of it stands out. Still, I find the memory kind of reassuring in a way...then again adults smoking was quite usual back then. Well, it wasn't in a PE teacher but you know what I mean.

Edited by Stirlingsays (09 Apr 2020 3.12pm)

 


'I can't stand innuendo. If I see one in a script I whip it out immediately.' (Kenneth Williams)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 09 Apr 20 3.14pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

FFS NOOOOO

Attended the VOLUNTARY AIDED Reigate Grammar.

Why do you keep ignoring the facts?


Apologies, I asked Mr Google for assistance and he told me that Keir Starmer appears on the Independent Reigate Grammar School's Alumni, I therefore assumed that at some time he had attended the said establishment.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 09 Apr 20 3.23pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

As Woody Allen said - Those who canít do teach. And those who canít teach, teach gym.

Not as spicy as when he said, 'Mmmm...my stepdaughter is looking a bit tasty today'.


Edited by Stirlingsays (09 Apr 2020 3.24pm)

 


'I can't stand innuendo. If I see one in a script I whip it out immediately.' (Kenneth Williams)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 09 Apr 20 3.27pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Yes they did, but the middle classes also played their part in destroying it for purposes of advantage.

In the end its purpose for social mobility became a joke.

socialism destroyed quality education cos it abolished grammar schools ?-utter cr*p! - the affection felt by some kids to their 'posh' schools is partly down to snobbery engendered by their families and the fact that their schools had fewer bullying toe rags and people had to behave cos it was hurting someone financially if they didn't - I went to a state grammar run by priests (10% of the staff inc head master) and it was sh*te - it's the bureaucracy, the fudge, lack of imagination and lack of belief in state education itself which is the problem, Kier Starmer is all in favour of the private choice, as historically have nearly all the labour front bench, if there was any conviction to get the same levels of creative thinking and subject expertise that attracts people to the independent sector into the public sector things might improve, the real enemy are things like academies trusts which filter money to a load of cynical suits and keep hard working staff's wages lower than they should be - another private/public hybrid gravy train.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 09 Apr 20 3.29pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I have a medal for my school goalkeeping somewhere.

PE teacher didn't like me though, he was a nasty piece of work.


the second statement does not necessarily follow on from the first

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View JRW2's Profile JRW2 Flag Dulwich 09 Apr 20 3.32pm Send a Private Message to JRW2 Add JRW2 as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

God, how depressing....they obviously gave in to the endless dumbing down of society.

Go and find out the difference.

I'll give you a clue though, a 'jealous god', is not an envious one.

Edited by Stirlingsays (09 Apr 2020 2.16pm)

What I said was that the Oxford dictionary gives one definition of jealous as envious. It quotes your example (concerning God) as another definition. So for what it's worth, your horror at the first one isn't shared by the Oxford dictionary compilers. Still, it's always heartening for an old fogey like me to find someone who cares about the correct use of words.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 09 Apr 20 3.37pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by JRW2

What I said was that the Oxford dictionary gives one definition of jealous as envious. It quotes your example (concerning God) as another definition. So for what it's worth, your horror at the first one isn't shared by the Oxford dictionary compilers. Still, it's always heartening for an old fogey like me to find someone who cares about the correct use of words.

Thank you sir.

It's like the word jealously, which has...or had at least a specific and valid meaning, is being erased by sheer laziness. You even get the BBC doing it now, not that it should surprise me.

It's a bugbear of mine.

 


'I can't stand innuendo. If I see one in a script I whip it out immediately.' (Kenneth Williams)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 09 Apr 20 3.38pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

the second statement does not necessarily follow on from the first

 


'I can't stand innuendo. If I see one in a script I whip it out immediately.' (Kenneth Williams)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 09 Apr 20 3.48pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

socialism destroyed quality education cos it abolished grammar schools ?-utter cr*p! - the affection felt by some kids to their 'posh' schools is partly down to snobbery engendered by their families and the fact that their schools had fewer bullying toe rags and people had to behave cos it was hurting someone financially if they didn't - I went to a state grammar run by priests (10% of the staff inc head master) and it was sh*te - it's the bureaucracy, the fudge, lack of imagination and lack of belief in state education itself which is the problem, Kier Starmer is all in favour of the private choice, as historically have nearly all the labour front bench, if there was any conviction to get the same levels of creative thinking and subject expertise that attracts people to the independent sector into the public sector things might improve, the real enemy are things like academies trusts which filter money to a load of cynical suits and keep hard working staff's wages lower than they should be - another private/public hybrid gravy train.

To be fair, Matov said 'Socialism destroyed our Grammer school system purely for purposes of ideology'.

He's right of course, it was for ideology.

Socialism wants a purely comprehensive system, because it's obsessed with equality, which in its pure form is the opposite of meritocracy.

I remain conflicted on this subject. For me, in most situations, meritocracy must always win.

However, there are problems within social mobility systems that don't end up delivering any significant social mobility....they did far better at the start.

I think a renewed grammar school system could work....but I wouldn't trust the left with it because the left are responsible for the state of education as it is.

Edited by Stirlingsays (09 Apr 2020 4.16pm)

 


'I can't stand innuendo. If I see one in a script I whip it out immediately.' (Kenneth Williams)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 09 Apr 20 3.59pm Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


As Woody Allen said - Those who canít do teach. And those who canít teach, teach gym.

Oi, I used to be a PE teacher.

Mind you, he's not far wrong (although I wish it hadn't been Woody Allen saying it....can we go with Dave Allen instead?).

Anyway, there's a reason PE teachers didn't much like kids in general. It's because they spoiled what would otherwise have been a nice quiet life.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 9 of 35 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Sir Keir Starmer