You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Academy
February 28 2021 1.13pm

Academy

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 4 « First< 1 2 3 4

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Online Flag 09 Feb 21 6.19pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

We've got another post here about our youngsters not being good enough. If there are no youngsters as good as Luka, I would be surprised. Put Townsend and Dann in that category too.
To not be as good as Luka, then they may as well just give up now. Are you seriously suggesting we have youth team players who can't do the footballing basics of run, pass, shoot, tackle without fouling? Because Luka can't do any of these things and hasn't been able to for around a season now.

Most young, able-bodied human beings can do those things against people of equivalent standard. It's whether they can do it in the Premier League that matters.

Our youth team, other clubs reserves, and/or the lower leagues are probably full of lads who look better at that level than Luka does at his, but that's irrelevant really.

Take a youth, reserve or League 2 player with better stats (pass completion, shots on target etc) than Luka, and swap the two of them. The former will quickly be out of his depth and unable to replicate his previous stats, whilst Luka would look like Glenn Hoddle. A bit.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ginger Pubic Wig's Profile Ginger Pubic Wig Flag Wickham de L'Ouest 09 Feb 21 7.36pm Send a Private Message to Ginger Pubic Wig Add Ginger Pubic Wig as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Most young, able-bodied human beings can do those things against people of equivalent standard. It's whether they can do it in the Premier League that matters.

Our youth team, other clubs reserves, and/or the lower leagues are probably full of lads who look better at that level than Luka does at his, but that's irrelevant really.

Take a youth, reserve or League 2 player with better stats (pass completion, shots on target etc) than Luka, and swap the two of them. The former will quickly be out of his depth and unable to replicate his previous stats, whilst Luka would look like Glenn Hoddle. A bit.

Absolutely agree.

 


If you want to live in a world full of kindness, respect and love, try to show these qualities.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 10 Feb 21 9.57am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Interesting article about the youngest players at each PL club many did not have a successful Pl career some did at lower levels and some just washed out.

It just shows how difficult it is to step up from the youth ranks.

[Link]

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Online Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 10 Feb 21 9.59am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Most young, able-bodied human beings can do those things against people of equivalent standard. It's whether they can do it in the Premier League that matters.

Our youth team, other clubs reserves, and/or the lower leagues are probably full of lads who look better at that level than Luka does at his, but that's irrelevant really.

Take a youth, reserve or League 2 player with better stats (pass completion, shots on target etc) than Luka, and swap the two of them. The former will quickly be out of his depth and unable to replicate his previous stats, whilst Luka would look like Glenn Hoddle. A bit.

I'm sorry, I do get your point. However, there is no point playing a guy who just can't play. In that case, we may as well give someone experience so that they are used to the level, and don't crumble in the Premier League.
It's a shame we never get anywhere in cups to give some players a chance. When half the squad's injured and half playing sh1t and we don't even put youngsters on the bench, the message to the youngsters is - you're worse than that. What motivation for them.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Online Flag hove actually 10 Feb 21 10.28am Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Interesting article about the youngest players at each PL club many did not have a successful Pl career some did at lower levels and some just washed out.

It just shows how difficult it is to step up from the youth ranks.

[Link]

Or how bad our coaching is possibly?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Online Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 10 Feb 21 3.07pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

Or how bad our coaching is possibly?

Any of ours are by accident. Other teams actually try guys out. When they perform well, they get picked again. It's a concept in football called 'competition for places'. Perhaps our staff could Google it.
The basic premise is play badly, get replaced. Train well, get considered to replace. Play well, keep your place.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View braunstoneagle's Profile braunstoneagle Flag the middle of bumf*** nowhere... 11 Feb 21 5.06am Send a Private Message to braunstoneagle Add braunstoneagle as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Ayew wins free kicks by the half way line but it isn't his fault that we never score from them.

I follow Woosie and Gazza on the other forum as they know a lot about what goes on in the development and under 18 squads and they claim that there is no-one good enough for the first team at the moment including Scott Banks

i get what your saying re. ayew, however my point was that in approx 75% of the free kicks he wins it would be more than possible for him to stay on his feet and take the ball forward with intent.

on the development squad, what is the point if players can not see a clear pathway to the 1st team squad.

im not saying, chuck a load of kids into the first team, however if you think about a minutes played to cost in wages then it makes perfect sense to bring a few through into the first team squad instesd of paying somebidy 70k a week to play literally no 1st team football.

if it helped us break even financially then that alone would be a result and it is showing academy kids there is natural progression to the top table.

because if the company i worked for only appointed external 55 year olds as new site managers a 25 year old me would leave them in a heartbeat.

 


‘Football isn’t instant coffee. You have to work at it. You must grow the bean, grind it.’ Ian Holloway


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Online Flag 11 Feb 21 9.14am Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by braunstoneagle

i get what your saying re. ayew, however my point was that in approx 75% of the free kicks he wins it would be more than possible for him to stay on his feet and take the ball forward with intent.

on the development squad, what is the point if players can not see a clear pathway to the 1st team squad.

im not saying, chuck a load of kids into the first team, however if you think about a minutes played to cost in wages then it makes perfect sense to bring a few through into the first team squad instesd of paying somebidy 70k a week to play literally no 1st team football.

if it helped us break even financially then that alone would be a result and it is showing academy kids there is natural progression to the top table.

because if the company i worked for only appointed external 55 year olds as new site managers a 25 year old me would leave them in a heartbeat.

You put the point very well, but a capable 25 year old can, with training and support, have a very good chance of being a good site manager in time. Its a challenging job but a bright person with a strong work ethic can learn to do it.

Top flight football, on the other hand, requires a level of inherent talent which is rare as rocking horse s***.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Online Flag Sutton Coldfield 18 Feb 21 11.58am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

[Link]


The above link provided by Jacey in the Brighton thread includes, what I hope, is a pointer to our future direction as far as our club's football philosophy is concerned. It might just suggest that the club will be appointing a more forward thinking manager when Hodgson leaves.

Edited by doombear (18 Feb 2021 11.59am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 4 « First< 1 2 3 4

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Academy