You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > I am Absolutely Sick of...
August 8 2020 1.34am

I am Absolutely Sick of...

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View daven's Profile daven Flag 18 Jul 20 10.03am Send a Private Message to daven Add daven as a friend

The championship is full of clubs who believe that they belong in the top flight. Even clubs like Middlesbrough who are fighting relegation probably think that they are in the wrong division and just need a new manager or owner to get them "back where they belong".
When a team gets promoted it needs the nucleus of the team to be good enough for the bottom half of the premier league so that with a few additions it can possibly survive. When we got promoted, we had a forward line of Bolasie, Murray and Zaha that we were still using seasons after. That team was my favourite team since we got promoted, but teams evolve for many reasons. Stop Zaha, stop Palace seems to be the tactic that clubs use against us, and it seems to work. Roy is saying that the squad needs a freshen up this summer and he is right, but are we going to pay for having to do too much in one go. Getting value for money spent is crucial for clubs of our size, and mistakes take years to correct which is where we are now.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 18 Jul 20 11.10am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

The negativity and complete disregard to how our club , are performing. We have survived yet another season in the prem. I remember being a little boy with my dad going to Bolton at home in 2001 and losing 2-0 then wolves losing again and crying knowing we had to get two results to stay in (division 1 ) at the time. Then going to Portsmouth winning 4-2 and having some hope and we all know what happened at Stockport!!

I’m fed up because I know what will be the replys to this, “we should be aiming higher” s*** transfer windows” etc etc , we are Crystal Palace , we punch above our weight, we always have done!! The season we got promoted we were favourites to get relegated to league 1!
Please acknowledge the job Roy has done, no money spent, just pure passion, you all knew the target was 40 points , Jordan ayew made it clear after every match interview “closer to target” etc . We have achieved this.

I have seen so much drivel on Twitter I have deactivated my account. I genuinely can’t stand our fan base on Twitter anymore . We sound like a deluded bunch of idiots with a right to European football and if this mindset carries on , we will end up the same way as charlton.

PS I’m not looking for an arguenement if anyone disagrees , I just wanted to vent but hope you will agree

COYP

Edited by SwordFish (17 Jul 2020 12.15am)

Very correct.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 18 Jul 20 1.42pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

I agree, if Leeds perform well, as have done Sheffield Utd and Wolves then maybe we will see that tactics have moved on. They could go straight back down but I have a feeling they won't.

No way with Bielsa.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 18 Jul 20 3.11pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

I totally disagree with the whole 'we were s*** for years so stop complaining' mentality. It's very possible to remember where we've been yet still hold high ambitions for where we're going.

We have been told on numerous occasions by Steve Parish that we are a club with a huge catchment area in terms of fans and players, I remember the phrase 'frightening potential' being used. So if even the chairman recognises that this isn't our ceiling, why do we as fans persist with a mentality of being happy about where we are with no ambition to progress further?

Sheffield United have proved that it is possible to play decent football and be successful on a much smaller budget than we have if you have a manager with the right philosophy. There's no way that they are a bigger club than us. Neither are Burnley.

Fans are rightfully questioning Roy's refusal to try anything other than his tried and trusted first XI and his negative tactics, despite our woeful run of form and the fact that there is nothing to play for.

If he won't experiment with youth and fringe players now then he never will. Ultimately football is meant to be fun and, with the exception of the United game when we were unlucky, there has been nothing fun about watching Palace recently.

Edited by Canterbury Palace (18 Jul 2020 3.13pm)

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 18 Jul 20 3.50pm Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace

I totally disagree with the whole 'we were s*** for years so stop complaining' mentality. It's very possible to remember where we've been yet still hold high ambitions for where we're going.

We have been told on numerous occasions by Steve Parish that we are a club with a huge catchment area in terms of fans and players, I remember the phrase 'frightening potential' being used. So if even the chairman recognises that this isn't our ceiling, why do we as fans persist with a mentality of being happy about where we are with no ambition to progress further?

Sheffield United have proved that it is possible to play decent football and be successful on a much smaller budget than we have if you have a manager with the right philosophy. There's no way that they are a bigger club than us. Neither are Burnley.

Fans are rightfully questioning Roy's refusal to try anything other than his tried and trusted first XI and his negative tactics, despite our woeful run of form and the fact that there is nothing to play for.

If he won't experiment with youth and fringe players now then he never will. Ultimately football is meant to be fun and, with the exception of the United game when we were unlucky, there has been nothing fun about watching Palace recently.

Edited by Canterbury Palace (18 Jul 2020 3.13pm)

Sheff UTD are a one season wonder and will be in a relegation battle next year mark my words

 


“This is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, it’s a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying “This , is a large crisis” - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 18 Jul 20 3.51pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace

I totally disagree with the whole 'we were s*** for years so stop complaining' mentality. It's very possible to remember where we've been yet still hold high ambitions for where we're going.

We have been told on numerous occasions by Steve Parish that we are a club with a huge catchment area in terms of fans and players, I remember the phrase 'frightening potential' being used. So if even the chairman recognises that this isn't our ceiling, why do we as fans persist with a mentality of being happy about where we are with no ambition to progress further?

Sheffield United have proved that it is possible to play decent football and be successful on a much smaller budget than we have if you have a manager with the right philosophy. There's no way that they are a bigger club than us. Neither are Burnley.

Fans are rightfully questioning Roy's refusal to try anything other than his tried and trusted first XI and his negative tactics, despite our woeful run of form and the fact that there is nothing to play for.

If he won't experiment with youth and fringe players now then he never will. Ultimately football is meant to be fun and, with the exception of the United game when we were unlucky, there has been nothing fun about watching Palace recently.

Edited by Canterbury Palace (18 Jul 2020 3.13pm)


Put it down to the gallows humour of long-suffering Palace fans. We daren't dream too high (publicly). Sadly, the days when a team could come up and storm a division based on managerial brilliance and astute player selection (think Shankley's Liverpool early 60s, Derby and Forest under Cloughie) have long gone. Today it's all about money and status. The big teams get bigger, the rest of us pick up crumbs from their table, a league cup there, an FA Cup here and the once in a generation opportunity that enabled Leicester to do the unthinkable.

I deliberately said money AND status because money alone doesn't necessarily do the job (Fulham and Villa have found that out and West Ham faltered badly despite the millions given to Pellegrini.

As for Sheff Utd their nett spend last summer was OVER 60 million, so I don't know why you think they have a smaller budget than us.

Many of us oldies are thankful for what we have - the best ever run in the top flight plus a recent major cup final appearance (only the second in our history).

We acknowledge that if a billionaire came in and bankrolled us a la Citeh, Chelsea, Man U etc. we might well hit the big time, but that's unlikely because we are not a fashionable team. The billionaires will look at the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, Villa etc. etc. before they will look at us.

Edited by doombear (18 Jul 2020 3.52pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 18 Jul 20 4.42pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace
If he won't experiment with youth and fringe players now then he never will. Ultimately football is meant to be fun and, with the exception of the United game when we were unlucky, there has been nothing fun about watching Palace recently.

Edited by Canterbury Palace (18 Jul 2020 3.13pm)


Maybe he never will until some real talent appears, because he is a realist. The under 23s don’t rip up trees at under 23.. next to bottom of what is not the best league at this level has to be something of a guide to the general level in that group. Playing no hopers is not going to make Roy a good manager. And it won’t improve the fun level for us supporters.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 18 Jul 20 5.02pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

Sheff UTD are a one season wonder and will be in a relegation battle next year mark my words


I respectfully disagree. Think Wilder is too good for that.

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 18 Jul 20 5.07pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace


I respectfully disagree. Think Wilder is too good for that.

I agree, they'll buy a couple of players - not big names but decent players, and be mid table, top half. We will be having to pull off another escape and dealing with poor transfer windows and injuries, not The Blades.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 18 Jul 20 5.08pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


Put it down to the gallows humour of long-suffering Palace fans. We daren't dream too high (publicly). Sadly, the days when a team could come up and storm a division based on managerial brilliance and astute player selection (think Shankley's Liverpool early 60s, Derby and Forest under Cloughie) have long gone. Today it's all about money and status. The big teams get bigger, the rest of us pick up crumbs from their table, a league cup there, an FA Cup here and the once in a generation opportunity that enabled Leicester to do the unthinkable.

I deliberately said money AND status because money alone doesn't necessarily do the job (Fulham and Villa have found that out and West Ham faltered badly despite the millions given to Pellegrini.

As for Sheff Utd their nett spend last summer was OVER 60 million, so I don't know why you think they have a smaller budget than us.

Many of us oldies are thankful for what we have - the best ever run in the top flight plus a recent major cup final appearance (only the second in our history).

We acknowledge that if a billionaire came in and bankrolled us a la Citeh, Chelsea, Man U etc. we might well hit the big time, but that's unlikely because we are not a fashionable team. The billionaires will look at the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, Villa etc. etc. before they will look at us.

Edited by doombear (18 Jul 2020 3.52pm)


Sheffield United have come up and stormed the division this season based on managerial brilliance and astute player selection. Unless you're referring to actually winning the league, in which case Leicester obviously did it 4 years ago in their second season.

I actually think the top six are increasingly broachable. There is so much money in the league now that even traditionally unfashionable clubs can recruit top class players, even if just as a stepping stone. Liverpool and City are currently in a class of their own but clubs like Arsenal and Spurs are falling back into the pack.

Sheffield United spent 60m last summer but we also spent heavily in our first couple of seasons and our wage bill is miles higher. Even if they qualify for the Europa League I doubt they'll spend that much again this year.

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 18 Jul 20 5.17pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

Originally posted by Putitout


Maybe he never will until some real talent appears, because he is a realist. The under 23s don’t rip up trees at under 23.. next to bottom of what is not the best league at this level has to be something of a guide to the general level in that group. Playing no hopers is not going to make Roy a good manager. And it won’t improve the fun level for us supporters.

He wouldn't have played Wan-Bissaka unless his hand was forced, you don't know unless you give them a chance which we have an opportunity to do at the moment but won't. I thought Mitchell, for example, looked fantastic when he came on the other night. I'd love to see him given a chance as I've had doubts about PVA for a long time.

We have Riedewald who won player of the month when given a chance but was then dropped. Meyer who could be a solution to our dire lack of creativity but is a perennial bench warmer. We had Sorloth who was given 830 minutes to prove himself before being sent to Turkey where he has shown himself to be very good after all.

We have and have had options but Roy doesn't want to use them. It's almost like Mourinho-esque stubborn-ness to prove a point.

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View est1905's Profile est1905 Flag 18 Jul 20 5.41pm Send a Private Message to est1905 Add est1905 as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

I do agree. Wholeheartedly. Some people appear to have a very tenuous grip on reality with expectation levels bordering on insanity.

I agree with both of you but I suppose I have to admit to being impatient for some progress. I do not have any intention upon slagging anyone off. There are too many reasons and too many scapegoats to find but...
We all want to feel we are moving forward. After 7 years in the Premiership I personally feel we are not much safer from relegation today than we were in year one. The squad is aging and (up to now at least) there has not been anywhere near enough investment/reinvestment in the playing squad. Our first 11 are good, our squad depth is the weakest in the division.
Playing devils advocate I think people want to see us become stronger year on year and many of us see the club scraping survival on a minimum spend (almost waiting to get caught out) and using safe pair of hands Roy to keep us up.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > I am Absolutely Sick of...