You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Closing roads
October 25 2020 12.20am

Closing roads

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

 

View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 24 Jul 20 4.13am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Yesterday there were protests in north london by local residents annoyed at the council randomly closing many side roads used as 'rat runs' for commuters and themselves. It's happening everywhere. In south london you now cannot get between lee high road and hither green lane without using the south circular or the old A2 just leading up to new cross. The pleasant in me thinks it's for residents benefit, the cynic thinks it's to push traffic to camerered areas and push up pollution levels in advance of a green tax rise. What has failed to be noticed by councils is the effect this has on locals going about their daily lives and on shops, pubs and cafes etc which rely on passing trade for a chunk of their income. Right in the middle of a historic financial hit for all of us they do this, the f***wits. Just venting really as it affects me and my commute. Not a 24hr problem like the locals now endure.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 24 Jul 20 8.45am Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

I know roads around Forest Hill/Dulwich had speed restrictions in place in the early 2000's. Using residential roads was much quicker than using the south circular. My thoughts at the time were that Councillors must live on these 'rat-runs' and that's why barriers and speed-humps were put there. You pay road tax to use the roads, not to have them restricted.

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kenners46's Profile kenners46 Flag sydenham village 24 Jul 20 10.05am Send a Private Message to kenners46 Add kenners46 as a friend

They have put one in Lancaster Road,SE25 which will cause mayhem when people get back to watching games

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 24 Jul 20 10.30am Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by kenners46

They have put one in Lancaster Road,SE25 which will cause mayhem when people get back to watching games

Hope none of the players come in that way, struggle to get your Lambo through restrictions without shattering a few grands worth of carbon fibre!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 24 Jul 20 10.45am Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Yesterday there were protests in north london by local residents annoyed at the council randomly closing many side roads used as 'rat runs' for commuters and themselves. It's happening everywhere. In south london you now cannot get between lee high road and hither green lane without using the south circular or the old A2 just leading up to new cross. The pleasant in me thinks it's for residents benefit, the cynic thinks it's to push traffic to camerered areas and push up pollution levels in advance of a green tax rise. What has failed to be noticed by councils is the effect this has on locals going about their daily lives and on shops, pubs and cafes etc which rely on passing trade for a chunk of their income. Right in the middle of a historic financial hit for all of us they do this, the f***wits. Just venting really as it affects me and my commute. Not a 24hr problem like the locals now endure.

Blimey Cryrst, i use to use that route me self, going up the hill & over the railway line, shoot down towards Catford, but turning right just after Hospital & round the back of Tesco's multi-storey car park( where the bus stand is) brings you out at the lights by Catford Stn.

Edited by eagleman13 (24 Jul 2020 10.46am)

 


Is joining the 'Grumpy Old Gits' Club

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag croydon 24 Jul 20 2.25pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Yesterday there were protests in north london by local residents annoyed at the council randomly closing many side roads used as 'rat runs' for commuters and themselves. It's happening everywhere. In south london you now cannot get between lee high road and hither green lane without using the south circular or the old A2 just leading up to new cross. The pleasant in me thinks it's for residents benefit, the cynic thinks it's to push traffic to camerered areas and push up pollution levels in advance of a green tax rise. What has failed to be noticed by councils is the effect this has on locals going about their daily lives and on shops, pubs and cafes etc which rely on passing trade for a chunk of their income. Right in the middle of a historic financial hit for all of us they do this, the f***wits. Just venting really as it affects me and my commute. Not a 24hr problem like the locals now endure.


Spot on Cryrst, yesterday in Islington, locals blocked Upper st outside council offices with a banner saying, "you don"t stop pollution by creating congestion", people are getting a bit fed up it appears.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 24 Jul 20 7.03pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud


Spot on Cryrst, yesterday in Islington, locals blocked Upper st outside council offices with a banner saying, "you don"t stop pollution by creating congestion", people are getting a bit fed up it appears.

No consultation at all. Probably one non driver complaint and bang, that's a good idea. Business will suffer for this as I said passing traffic used those shops a lot. I hope the government take a look as it also adds a lot of time on an emergency service. One death proved to be because of this hold up and councils will be up before the beak. Criminals on scooters are going to benefit as well. Absolute disgrace.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 24 Jul 20 7.13pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

No consultation at all. Probably one non driver complaint and bang, that's a good idea. Business will suffer for this as I said passing traffic used those shops a lot. I hope the government take a look as it also adds a lot of time on an emergency service. One death proved to be because of this hold up and councils will be up before the beak. Criminals on scooters are going to benefit as well. Absolute disgrace.

Watch out for the sudden rise in crime by teenagers on those electric pavement scooters.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pierre's Profile Pierre Flag Purley 10 Aug 20 9.34pm Send a Private Message to Pierre Add Pierre as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Watch out for the sudden rise in crime by teenagers on those electric pavement scooters.

You wait for the police to start using them to try and catch 'em!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HeathMan's Profile HeathMan Flag Purley 12 Aug 20 4.46am Send a Private Message to HeathMan Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add HeathMan as a friend

Unemployment will be cured - lots of people walking in front of private road vehicles carrying red flags. The sight of two horses pulling a police carriage is hopefully in the past and a long way into the future.

horse power did need coaching inns no more than twelve miles apart. Will we see a network of these to compliment the electric charging points that are becoming common?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 12 Aug 20 1.48pm Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

I always think that closing roads to the majority of is wrong.
The roads which are closed are suddenly not free for traffic to use in the way that they were meant to be used.
Given that they can become pretty much "Private" roads after closure then I feel that is what they should be and that those that live on them should take up payment of everything involved with owning a road.
If I can't use it and it is for the residents on that road and their enjoyment only then let them pay - I don't see why the rest of us should?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 12 Aug 20 2.20pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

I always think that closing roads to the majority of is wrong.
The roads which are closed are suddenly not free for traffic to use in the way that they were meant to be used.
Given that they can become pretty much "Private" roads after closure then I feel that is what they should be and that those that live on them should take up payment of everything involved with owning a road.
If I can't use it and it is for the residents on that road and their enjoyment only then let them pay - I don't see why the rest of us should?

The council has decided to add a cycle path to my street as it is a narrow road this means that it will become one way. The road is nearly a mile long with not many exits and entrances this will certainly not be for the benefit of people who live on the street quite the opposite. If you need to come home you will have to drive a mile at of your way to connect up to the one way system. It will also push a lot of the traffic onto the next 2 roads which will upset the neighbours over there.

All this for the cycle lobby who don't pay road tax.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Closing roads