You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Veggie tubes and veggie disks - EU vote
October 21 2020 11.27am

Veggie tubes and veggie disks - EU vote

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

 

View sitdownstandup's Profile sitdownstandup Flag 16 Oct 20 2.06pm Send a Private Message to sitdownstandup Add sitdownstandup as a friend

Not sure how true this is as I can't find the story in many places but it seems that The EU is set to vote to introduce a law that will stop vegan and vegetarian food being labelled as veggie burgers to avoid 'consumer confusion.'

If the law is passed then it will be illegal to use the terms veggie burgers or veggie sausages anymore and they will have to be referred to as veggie disks or veggie tubes.

A way to make it more difficult for vegan and veggie food producers to sell their products and stop the growth of the industry.

[Link]

 


I never use a napkin on my lap at a restaurant... because I believe in myself.

Hannibal Burress

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 16 Oct 20 2.19pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by sitdownstandup

Not sure how true this is as I can't find the story in many places but it seems that The EU is set to vote to introduce a law that will stop vegan and vegetarian food being labelled as veggie burgers to avoid 'consumer confusion.'

If the law is passed then it will be illegal to use the terms veggie burgers or veggie sausages anymore and they will have to be referred to as veggie disks or veggie tubes.

A way to make it more difficult for vegan and veggie food producers to sell their products and stop the growth of the industry.

[Link]

I have no doubt this is correct , my wife has heard this. It’s like not calling Soya “milk” it has to be drink. Go into Costa etc they ask if you want Soya milk. EU can vote all they like so what, people will know what they are buying. Another example of the petty dictatorship being run in Brussels.
Shouldn’t worry mate, Vegan/Veggie food very much in the ascendancy in supermarkets here
Presumably anyone who owns a dachshund won’t be able to call it a sausage dog and what about the famous hotdog!

Edited by Spiderman (16 Oct 2020 2.22pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 16 Oct 20 4.37pm Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

I have no doubt this is correct , my wife has heard this. It’s like not calling Soya “milk” it has to be drink. Go into Costa etc they ask if you want Soya milk. EU can vote all they like so what, people will know what they are buying. Another example of the petty dictatorship being run in Brussels.
Shouldn’t worry mate, Vegan/Veggie food very much in the ascendancy in supermarkets here
Presumably anyone who owns a dachshund won’t be able to call it a sausage dog and what about the famous hotdog!

Edited by Spiderman (16 Oct 2020 2.22pm)

What are we going to call dogging?

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 16 Oct 20 4.53pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

What are we going to call dogging?

Tomming

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sitdownstandup's Profile sitdownstandup Flag 17 Oct 20 5.56am Send a Private Message to sitdownstandup Add sitdownstandup as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

What are we going to call dogging?


If you are vegan or vegetarian you will have to call it tubing from now on to avoid the confusion.


Edited by sitdownstandup (17 Oct 2020 5.56am)

 


I never use a napkin on my lap at a restaurant... because I believe in myself.

Hannibal Burress

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 17 Oct 20 9.49am Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by sitdownstandup

Not sure how true this is as I can't find the story in many places but it seems that The EU is set to vote to introduce a law that will stop vegan and vegetarian food being labelled as veggie burgers to avoid 'consumer confusion.'

If the law is passed then it will be illegal to use the terms veggie burgers or veggie sausages anymore and they will have to be referred to as veggie disks or veggie tubes.

A way to make it more difficult for vegan and veggie food producers to sell their products and stop the growth of the industry.

[Link]



Surely, what the EU votes for is irrelevant now - we left and the trading agreement ends 31/12, so we can call our veggie food whatever we like.

Manufacturers may have to change the packaging if they export to EU countries.

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 18 Oct 20 11.27pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Don't see what the fuss is about!

People who manufacture, and those who eat, vegetarian products surely should be proud that they don't contain any meat and want to avoid any kind of association with it.

Seeking to use the descriptions associated with meat make it appear to be a second rate substitute.

Get creative. Develop new products rather than imitate old ones. Then be loud and proud.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View davenotamonkey's Profile davenotamonkey Flag 19 Oct 20 12.22am Send a Private Message to davenotamonkey Add davenotamonkey as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Don't see what the fuss is about!

People who manufacture, and those who eat, vegetarian products surely should be proud that they don't contain any meat and want to avoid any kind of association with it.

Seeking to use the descriptions associated with meat make it appear to be a second rate substitute.

Get creative. Develop new products rather than imitate old ones. Then be loud and proud.

You wouldn't. The EU can do no wrong, irrespective how much it meddles.

The word 'sausage' is derived from the Latin salsicus, meaning "seasoned with salt". It has close entomological linkage to the Latin salata - "salted things", and is the origin of 'salad'. From a linguistic perspective 'Sausage' is therefore closely related to 'Salad'. Shall we ban "salad" as a noun for anything that doesn't contain meat too?

..but who the f*** cares? And I post this as a red-blooded meat-eater. Why does the EU have to interfere in every small aspect of life? Do they honestly think this "adds value" to the EU? More cost to businesses, more regulation, no doubt more lobbying from protected interests to an unaccountable EU Commission. Member states (they used to be called counties) should take this endless s***ty legislation and flush it (https://ec.europa.eu/environment/gpp/pdf/criteria/toilets/criteria_Toilets_en.pdf) down the toilet along with the whole lot of them.

Utter control freaks.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sitdownstandup's Profile sitdownstandup Flag 19 Oct 20 6.40am Send a Private Message to sitdownstandup Add sitdownstandup as a friend

Here's a great short video on the subject:

[Link]

 


I never use a napkin on my lap at a restaurant... because I believe in myself.

Hannibal Burress

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 19 Oct 20 8.27am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Don't see what the fuss is about!

People who manufacture, and those who eat, vegetarian products surely should be proud that they don't contain any meat and want to avoid any kind of association with it.

Seeking to use the descriptions associated with meat make it appear to be a second rate substitute.

Get creative. Develop new products rather than imitate old ones. Then be loud and proud.

But they are developing new products, more are appearing all the time and most are very nice. Don’t contain any dyes which are put into many meat products to keep them red. I don’t care what they are called, my main issue is the unnecessary meddling of the EU but as Becky says, come December who gives a s**t what they vote for. Although of course the farming lobby here are also less than happy with the increase in plant based diets, but hey they have always had a clear run, times are a changing

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 19 Oct 20 10.57am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

But they are developing new products, more are appearing all the time and most are very nice. Don’t contain any dyes which are put into many meat products to keep them red. I don’t care what they are called, my main issue is the unnecessary meddling of the EU but as Becky says, come December who gives a s**t what they vote for. Although of course the farming lobby here are also less than happy with the increase in plant based diets, but hey they have always had a clear run, times are a changing

I was involved in the development of what became Quorn. The target was to produce something that tasted and looked like meat but more importantly had the texture of meat. The intended market was always the third world but the belief was that it was necessary for acceptance in the first world before the third would take it. As the feed material would otherwise go to waste this is a potentially efficient use of resources.

Both flavour and colours are used, as they are in almost all processed foods, whether vegetarian or not. The idea that "dyes" are somehow an evil goes right back to the nonsense first spread by Hanssen and "E for additives".

Of course the EU are involved! It's much more efficient to do this kind of thing centrally than it is in every country separately. As we will find out! We will either end up continuing to follow the EU regs or adopting the FDA ones. We won't do it ourselves. Picking out what looks like an easy target for some mud doesn't alter that.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 19 Oct 20 11.36am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I was involved in the development of what became Quorn. The target was to produce something that tasted and looked like meat but more importantly had the texture of meat. The intended market was always the third world but the belief was that it was necessary for acceptance in the first world before the third would take it. As the feed material would otherwise go to waste this is a potentially efficient use of resources.

Both flavour and colours are used, as they are in almost all processed foods, whether vegetarian or not. The idea that "dyes" are somehow an evil goes right back to the nonsense first spread by Hanssen and "E for additives".

Of course the EU are involved! It's much more efficient to do this kind of thing centrally than it is in every country separately. As we will find out! We will either end up continuing to follow the EU regs or adopting the FDA ones. We won't do it ourselves. Picking out what looks like an easy target for some mud doesn't alter that.

I am not even going to bother discussing with you because yet again you know better than anyone. I am content that my diet is more healthy than eating processed meat or meat reared in a factory farm environment. I eat very little Quorn as most is not suitable for Vegans. As a matter of interest why is everything you disagree with, nonsense?

Edited by Spiderman (19 Oct 2020 2.23pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Veggie tubes and veggie disks - EU vote