You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Connor Wickham (rumour)
April 13 2021 5.07am

Connor Wickham (rumour)

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 12 of 15 < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 30 Mar 21 3.18pm Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

I have no problem with that.
If he really wants to play then he will bust a gut to do so but I somehow doubt it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 30 Mar 21 3.32pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

From a fans point of view, the Wickham saga is hard to understand when he never seems to be fit.
But one things for sure , no one will be more acutely aware of the risks involved in employing Wickham, than Parish.
Only if you knew the long term prognosis on Wickhams injury situation can you say whether he is worth a contract.
He is a very decent player when fit, he has a knack of picking up goals in the six yard box, something that we could do with on a regular basis, he can also be very effective if played wider.
Only Parish , and the medics, will know what his chances are, but if they are good , and they must be considered good, then at his age he has to be worth another go .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 30 Mar 21 4.45pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Putitout

From a fans point of view, the Wickham saga is hard to understand when he never seems to be fit.
But one things for sure , no one will be more acutely aware of the risks involved in employing Wickham, than Parish.
Only if you knew the long term prognosis on Wickhams injury situation can you say whether he is worth a contract.
He is a very decent player when fit, he has a knack of picking up goals in the six yard box, something that we could do with on a regular basis, he can also be very effective if played wider.
Only Parish , and the medics, will know what his chances are, but if they are good , and they must be considered good, then at his age he has to be worth another go .


I agree he is half decent when fit, however you're putting a lot of faith in a medical team that doesn't appear to have the best track record when it comes to getting players fit and back in play on a regular basis. Have they given up on Sakho entirely? How is Ferguson progressing and McArthur and Macarthy and Tomkins and....... is there anyone left?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View slubglurge's Profile slubglurge Flag welling 30 Mar 21 5.04pm Send a Private Message to slubglurge Add slubglurge as a friend

I think Connor is decent but he is a malingerer. Apart from the serious knee injury which incidently he took much longer to recover from than most players, he gets a lot of strains and pulls where the player himself tells the physio how it is feeling so basically he can do what we would all like to do which is write your own sicknote.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag bristol 30 Mar 21 5.37pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by slubglurge

I think Connor is decent but he is a malingerer. Apart from the serious knee injury which incidently he took much longer to recover from than most players, he gets a lot of strains and pulls where the player himself tells the physio how it is feeling so basically he can do what we would all like to do which is write your own sicknote.

This site is designed for opinions - and that is all this is.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 30 Mar 21 6.20pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

This site is designed for opinions - and that is all this is.

Well, it certainly wasn't anything approaching expertise!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sprites's Profile sprites Flag Auckland 30 Mar 21 8.25pm Send a Private Message to sprites Add sprites as a friend

Originally posted by Putitout

From a fans point of view, the Wickham saga is hard to understand when he never seems to be fit.
But one things for sure , no one will be more acutely aware of the risks involved in employing Wickham, than Parish.
Only if you knew the long term prognosis on Wickhams injury situation can you say whether he is worth a contract.
He is a very decent player when fit, he has a knack of picking up goals in the six yard box, something that we could do with on a regular basis, he can also be very effective if played wider.
Only Parish , and the medics, will know what his chances are, but if they are good , and they must be considered good, then at his age he has to be worth another go .

Nice post. Agree.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Gribbo's Profile Gribbo Flag Bromley 30 Mar 21 11.04pm Send a Private Message to Gribbo Add Gribbo as a friend

Wickham, Benteke, Sakho, Hodgson all out, free up some cash, clear out the medical room, play some decent football. Simples!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Phil’s Barber's Profile Phil’s Barber Flag Crowborough 31 Mar 21 12.54am Send a Private Message to Phil’s Barber Add Phil’s Barber as a friend

Originally posted by Gribbo

Wickham, Benteke, Sakho, Hodgson all out, free up some cash, clear out the medical room, play some decent football. Simples!

Exactly! If we haven’t realised by now that Connor is one of the most injury prone players that we have ever had registered then someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

He has been injured for 1004 days, with eleven separate injuries, since he signed for us in August 2015 (Figures from Transfermarket.co.uk)

He has already had his so called ‘last chance’ and even when fit I don’t think he is worth getting overly excited about. After two starts, whilst on loan at Sheffield Wednesday at the end of last season, he then found himself on the bench for five of his remaining eleven appearances and the Owls fans forums were far from impressed with his performances.

Time to cut our losses and for both parties to move on.

Edited by Phil’s Barber (31 Mar 2021 12.54am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sprites's Profile sprites Flag Auckland 31 Mar 21 4.10am Send a Private Message to sprites Add sprites as a friend

Originally posted by Phil’s Barber

Exactly! If we haven’t realised by now that Connor is one of the most injury prone players that we have ever had registered then someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

He has been injured for 1004 days, with eleven separate injuries, since he signed for us in August 2015 (Figures from Transfermarket.co.uk)

He has already had his so called ‘last chance’ and even when fit I don’t think he is worth getting overly excited about. After two starts, whilst on loan at Sheffield Wednesday at the end of last season, he then found himself on the bench for five of his remaining eleven appearances and the Owls fans forums were far from impressed with his performances.

Time to cut our losses and for both parties to move on.

Edited by Phil’s Barber (31 Mar 2021 12.54am)

That's a totally valid opinion. As is the one of those who'd lean towards giving him one last season. Especially after an impressive couple of games with the U23s. Time will tell I guess.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elphers40's Profile Elphers40 Flag Northants 31 Mar 21 10.26pm Send a Private Message to Elphers40 Add Elphers40 as a friend

He scores a couple of goals in an U23 game and that’s sufficient to justify another year on the physio’s table. This is mental!
It’s No Coincidence he needs to secure a new contract and suddenly he’s fit again.
Such a terrible waste of talent - could have been a real legend for us.

We ought to have learned our lesson by now - history tells us that this little flash of form will be short lived. Talk about flogging a dead horse. We’ve got to move on.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 31 Mar 21 11.15pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

It's an interesting subject generally, the notion of a player being injury prone. I mean, football clubs go to ridiculous lengths to get the most out of the investment they make in players - their diet, weight, even thier sleep is monitored and controlled. Some clubs assess players psychologically before signing them, having looked into as many aspects of their life as possible. In that context I find it hard to believe that a medical is anything other than utterly thorough, yet so many players with poor injury records get contracts.

I get that a doctor might be able to tell if a player has recovered fully from a specific serious injury, and that presuming someone like Wickham passes tests on the bad knee injury he had, he then need only be free of serious, long term injuries at the time of the medical and he can sign a new contract. He is, after all, fit and well at that time, or at least not suffering from an injury bound to keep him out for long.

Still though, how does the process factor in all those weeks, months and years missed through a series of unrelated injuries, or through the recurrence of an injury from which a full recovery had been made?

Is there a medical reason players like Wickham, or Sturidge, Wiltshire, Welbeck etc get so very many injuries? Is it literally just bad luck? The football industry must have ploughed millions into understanding it, yet without any success as far as I can see.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (31 Mar 2021 11.16pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 12 of 15 < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Connor Wickham (rumour)