You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > US politics
July 15 2024 3.08pm

US politics

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 418 of 679 < 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 >

 

View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 14 Jun 23 9.43am Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

To think the most powerful nation in the world could be run from a figure behind bars.

Its more serious than Nixon imo, as its the espionage act, he was pardoned by Gerald Ford.

If the republicans had not persevered with Trump after their defeat they could have made a fresh start and probably be on their way to victory.

Edited by steeleye20 (14 Jun 2023 9.43am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 14 Jun 23 10.36am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

They aren't but to suggest they will approach any story in an even-handed way would be similar to suggesting that either the Mail, or the Guardian, deals with issues without spinning them to suit the agendas of their target readership.

Of course they are; they're written by human beings not robots so there is context and sub-context which the newly approved Chatbots lack.
Dismissing articles because of their source hardly speaks to the quest for ultimate truth and is nothing more than an all-purpose get out clause. Like Politician A lied because he's an amoral psychopath and should be shamed.
B didn't lie but was economical with the truth for the greater good and should be lauded.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 14 Jun 23 11.20am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

To think the most powerful nation in the world could be run from a figure behind bars.

Its more serious than Nixon imo, as its the espionage act, he was pardoned by Gerald Ford.

If the republicans had not persevered with Trump after their defeat they could have made a fresh start and probably be on their way to victory.

Edited by steeleye20 (14 Jun 2023 9.43am)

To think that two sets of people have both had classified documents at home, whilst another used personal emails which were read and led to the killing of several government employees, yet only one gets done.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 14 Jun 23 11.21am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Of course they are; they're written by human beings not robots so there is context and sub-context which the newly approved Chatbots lack.
Dismissing articles because of their source hardly speaks to the quest for ultimate truth and is nothing more than an all-purpose get out clause. Like Politician A lied because he's an amoral psychopath and should be shamed.
B didn't lie but was economical with the truth for the greater good and should be lauded.

I think you will find the Chatbots capable of explaining context and sub-context. They are trained to do so.

I am not dismissing any article. I am just pointing out its own context and that the claim of even-handedness doesn't hold water. So long as you read it with that in mind you can find value in most things.

You choose your politicians on your own beliefs and standards. Deliberately lying for any personal benefit must always be condemned. Making a mistake not so. Telling a white lie, or only half the truth, when the purpose is clearly for the public good may attract the wrath of opponents with knives, but less so the writers of history.

 


For the avoidance of doubt any comments in response to a previous post are directed to its ideas and not at any, or all, posters personally.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 14 Jun 23 11.27am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

To think the most powerful nation in the world could be run from a figure behind bars.

Its more serious than Nixon imo, as its the espionage act, he was pardoned by Gerald Ford.

If the republicans had not persevered with Trump after their defeat they could have made a fresh start and probably be on their way to victory.

Edited by steeleye20 (14 Jun 2023 9.43am)

I suspect Trump both expects and possibly even hopes, to be convicted. He would position himself as a martyr and campaign from prison on the basis he would pardon himself on his first day in office, traveling in triumph back to the White House.

It suits his style and self-image.

Whether the American people will buy it is another question.

 


For the avoidance of doubt any comments in response to a previous post are directed to its ideas and not at any, or all, posters personally.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 14 Jun 23 11.34am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

To think that two sets of people have both had classified documents at home, whilst another used personal emails which were read and led to the killing of several government employees, yet only one gets done.

Biden's team seem to have made some mistakes, which they found themselves, reported, and cooperated with the authorities in full.

Trump was personally involved, concealed documents, and refused cooperation.

Clinton's email was acknowledged as an error, investigated, and dealt with by way of an admonishment rather than charges.

These are not directly comparable, despite the right trying to claim otherwise. I have no problem at all with charges being laid at the door of each and allowing due process to determine guilt but obviously, those with full access to the facts decided differently.

 


For the avoidance of doubt any comments in response to a previous post are directed to its ideas and not at any, or all, posters personally.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 14 Jun 23 11.37am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I think you will find the Chatbots capable of explaining context and sub-context. They are trained to do so.

I am not dismissing any article. I am just pointing out its own context and that the claim of even-handedness doesn't hold water. So long as you read it with that in mind you can find value in most things.

You choose your politicians on your own beliefs and standards. Deliberately lying for any personal benefit must always be condemned. Making a mistake not so. Telling a white lie, or only half the truth, when the purpose is clearly for the public good may attract the wrath of opponents with knives, but less so the writers of history.

I think you'll find Chatbots repeat facts according to their programming.
If you honestly believe politicians lie for any other reason than to protect themselves and their career then that's fair enough.
Once again, Ultimate Truth is apparently an elastic concept.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 14 Jun 23 11.37am Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Biden's team seem to have made some mistakes, which they found themselves, reported, and cooperated with the authorities in full.

Trump was personally involved, concealed documents, and refused cooperation.

Clinton's email was acknowledged as an error, investigated, and dealt with by way of an admonishment rather than charges.

These are not directly comparable, despite the right trying to claim otherwise. I have no problem at all with charges being laid at the door of each and allowing due process to determine guilt but obviously, those with full access to the facts decided differently.

Of course they are directly comparable.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lombardinho's Profile Lombardinho Flag London 14 Jun 23 1.56pm Send a Private Message to Lombardinho Add Lombardinho as a friend

One for WE's perusal

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 14 Jun 23 2.05pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

'Now where did I put those darned nuclear codes?'

Got them, in the garage I'll just check that they work, fetch the tea and press that red button over there.

Always wondered what it was.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 14 Jun 23 7.54pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Just maybe he knew this was coming and de classified these documents prior to their removal. That means hes done nothing wrong. Like a kitchen fitter putting a door on pissed just to give the snagger something to find. Red herring by time. Keep the eye on nothing so something gets past.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 14 Jun 23 8.21pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

[Link]

This is who certain posters feel is the best option. Poor world !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 418 of 679 < 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > US politics