You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Letís celebrate the left
September 25 2022 12.35am

Letís celebrate the left

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 47 of 55 < 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 >

 

View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 23 Jun 22 8.23am Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

Well, it took what was a barely post-feudal society and put the first rocket and then man into Space in under 50 years. It put drinking water into every village. It spread all kinds of arts and culture to those self-same villagers and did in part foster a genuine sense of Brotherhood amongst people from across a huge variety of backgrounds. And saw to it that a lot of people learnt to read and write.

Yes, it was not pleasant at times, and millions died but it also defeated Nazi Germany, at a huge cost to itself. And when it did fall apart, it actually was, given the sheer scale of what the USSR was, prove remarkably bloodless.

I proudly proclaim myself as 'Anti' Communist because of all kinds of inherent flaws I believe exist in Marxist dogma but lets not pretend that they got everything wrong.

Other countries such as the US and Australia developed from nothing just as quickly. They too killed indigenous people but not on the industrial scale of the communists. Drinking water in every village! Was that to help them digest the eating of their own children during the famines ceated by the comrades? Huge sense of brotherhood! Is that why, once the shackles were off, all the regions wanted to revert to their own independant stauts. Learnt to read and write - what to read Marxist claptrap? 'Not pleasant'!!! The understatement of the last hundred years. Russia survived the Nazi invasion despite Stalin having decimated the miltary in his parnoid purges. The Russian people managed to defeat the inavsion despite their corrupt, incompetent and evil government.
Your statement: 'given the sheer scale of what the USSR was, prove remarkably bloodless' is shameful - you consider the murder of tens of millions of people 'remarkably bloodless'.
They put a man into space - hurrah! It was all worth while then.

Edited by georgenorman (23 Jun 2022 8.24am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 23 Jun 22 9.34am Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

Other countries such as the US and Australia developed from nothing just as quickly. They too killed indigenous people but not on the industrial scale of the communists. Drinking water in every village! Was that to help them digest the eating of their own children during the famines ceated by the comrades? Huge sense of brotherhood! Is that why, once the shackles were off, all the regions wanted to revert to their own independant stauts. Learnt to read and write - what to read Marxist claptrap? 'Not pleasant'!!! The understatement of the last hundred years. Russia survived the Nazi invasion despite Stalin having decimated the miltary in his parnoid purges. The Russian people managed to defeat the inavsion despite their corrupt, incompetent and evil government.
Your statement: 'given the sheer scale of what the USSR was, prove remarkably bloodless' is shameful - you consider the murder of tens of millions of people 'remarkably bloodless'.
They put a man into space - hurrah! It was all worth while then.

Edited by georgenorman (23 Jun 2022 8.24am)

This alone makes it a cheap price to have been paid....

[Link]

 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 23 Jun 22 10.09am Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

This alone makes it a cheap price to have been paid....

[Link]

Where are you actually from? Do you live in the UK?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 23 Jun 22 10.19am Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

Where are you actually from? Do you live in the UK?

London born & bred. But hoping to die with warm bones, on a foreign shore.

 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 23 Jun 22 11.01am Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

London born & bred. But hoping to die with warm bones, on a foreign shore.

Don't let us keep you.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 23 Jun 22 11.22am Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

Don't let us keep you.

Thank you.

The plan is to eventually bugger off for at least 9 months of the year. Probably be back for Christmas (because to be fair, London does that pretty well) but gone again before New Years Eve (an event we do pretty badly).

And the odd long weekend for some shenanigans.

But outside of that? Nah. You can keep it.

 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
BlueJay Flag UK 23 Jun 22 12.57pm

Originally posted by Matov

Thank you.

The plan is to eventually bugger off for at least 9 months of the year. Probably be back for Christmas (because to be fair, London does that pretty well) but gone again before New Years Eve (an event we do pretty badly).

And the odd long weekend for some shenanigans.

But outside of that? Nah. You can keep it.

But doesn't love of country involves staying - not becoming what you may dislike in others... someone just going where they fancy? A country doesn't have to be perfect to have love for it, few are. What's so utterly terrible about it that you have detached yourself from your country in such a profound way?


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 23 Jun 22 1.30pm Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

But doesn't love of country involves staying - not becoming what you may dislike in others... someone just going where they fancy? A country doesn't have to be perfect to have love for it, few are. What's so utterly terrible about it that you have detached yourself from your country in such a profound way?

He's pining for all them corn fields and ballet in the evening.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 23 Jun 22 1.42pm Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

But doesn't love of country involves staying - not becoming what you may dislike in others... someone just going where they fancy? A country doesn't have to be perfect to have love for it, few are. What's so utterly terrible about it that you have detached yourself from your country in such a profound way?



I like to think my country has left me to be fair, with its values and aims no longer matching my own.

 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 23 Jun 22 1.58pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Matov


I like to think my country has left me to be fair, with its values and aims no longer matching my own.

I see Richard Littlejohn, that bastian of the right who seems to love everything little britain does, actually lives in Florida! Do as I say ....etc

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 23 Jun 22 2.18pm Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

I see Richard Littlejohn, that bastian of the right who seems to love everything little britain does, actually lives in Florida! Do as I say ....etc


A valid point.

On a wider note though, does the notion of 'my country, wrong or right' actually hold any water now?

I was the worst one in the world for wrapping myself in the flag and singing 'three german bombers' and so on but can any of us truly justify defending our countries based solely on an accident of birth?

Especially in this day and age when the very institutions that define how a nation-state functions seem intent on warping everything?


 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 23 Jun 22 2.35pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Matov


A valid point.

On a wider note though, does the notion of 'my country, wrong or right' actually hold any water now?

I was the worst one in the world for wrapping myself in the flag and singing 'three german bombers' and so on but can any of us truly justify defending our countries based solely on an accident of birth?

Especially in this day and age when the very institutions that define how a nation-state functions seem intent on warping everything?



No water at all Matov- but it seems to make some people happy- insular is safety perhaps- i"m all for the wider world, so much to see, where are you thinking of going for the 9 months?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 47 of 55 < 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Letís celebrate the left