You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > When Roy Retires
February 28 2021 7.09am

When Roy Retires

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 03 Feb 21 4.00pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by OldFella

Like Eddie Howe was?

When Eddie went to Burnley they were hardly flying high.
They were 10th after 25 games and they finished the season in 8th place.
At Burnley his signings included Kieran Tripper, Ben Mee and Danny Ings.
He had a family issue when he was at the club.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 03 Feb 21 6.02pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

i suspect Roy will sign another 1 year contract in the next month or so.

We clearly haven't got a plan B and with so many out of contract this summer there will be a lot of changes.

SP would probably prefer a settled management team to get us through the next 12 months.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sotac464's Profile sotac464 Flag Berkshire 03 Feb 21 6.22pm Send a Private Message to sotac464 Add sotac464 as a friend

There's going to be big changes this summer, and there's only one man for the job, never particularly liked him, but willing to give him a chance, Lampard.

Look at his record, apart from this season, when Abramovich decided to pick 200 million worth of players hand picked by himself, that won't happen here.

Terry Venables mark 1, I believe with a bit of backing and some long overdue youth in the side, he could take us forward, and make us an exciting team to watch.

 


My equalibrium unbalanced me. Paul Draper Brighton 19/2/2018

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 03 Feb 21 6.39pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Where do people get the idea that there are big changes in the offing in the summer? Just because a large number of contracts are due to expire doesn't mean that lots of players will be leaving. Changes require money and our board has demonstrated that they aren't particularly generous in doshing it out on transfer fees. With the financial implications of the pandemic, there should be the opportunity to offer some older players one year extensions on reduced wages. There might be one or two new faces but I would be surprised if there is a major shake out.

As I've said on other threads, whether we want it or not we should not be surprised if the club offer Hodgson another 1 year extension and he accepts it.

Edited by doombear (03 Feb 2021 6.40pm)

Edited by doombear (03 Feb 2021 6.40pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 03 Feb 21 6.48pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by Osvaldo

HOWE, a young out of work manager. Did wonders for Bournemouth. Should be lining him up now ready for next season otherwise the Magpies will have him.
Thanks Roy, you've DONE well!!!
Two great results in 7 days.

Did wonders? Had far more money spent on his team than Roy, but still managed to get them relegated.

Why does seem to make him an ideal candidate to some?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 04 Feb 21 10.04am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by doombear

Where do people get the idea that there are big changes in the offing in the summer? Just because a large number of contracts are due to expire doesn't mean that lots of players will be leaving. Changes require money and our board has demonstrated that they aren't particularly generous in doshing it out on transfer fees. With the financial implications of the pandemic, there should be the opportunity to offer some older players one year extensions on reduced wages. There might be one or two new faces but I would be surprised if there is a major shake out.

As I've said on other threads, whether we want it or not we should not be surprised if the club offer Hodgson another 1 year extension and he accepts it.

Edited by doombear (03 Feb 2021 6.40pm)

Edited by doombear (03 Feb 2021 6.40pm)

i agree Roy will be offered a new contract, assuming he wants it, but there will still be big changes this summer.

Of the players out of contract a number will definitely leave- Wickham, Tekkers, Sakho and Bats for starters.
Then in defence we have 2 ageing centre backs - Dann and Cahill. At the most 1 could be offered 1 extra year.
Then we have PVA who has turned down a new contract and appears keen to a return to Holland.
There's been a lot of interest in McCarthy so can see him going to Celtic.
Probably the same for Wayne in goal - 3rd choice now so may decide to leave.
Of the remaining Townsend is a dilemma. Woeful form and on decent wages but there is a decent player in there somewhere. Would he take a pay cut?
Both Ward and Clyne at RB - expect only 1 to be here next year.
Then we have young Mitchell - supposedly his agent has refused to sign a new contract and Spurs have previously shown an interest.
So i can see a turnover of about 10 players this summer - that's a major shake up in my book

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 04 Feb 21 10.54am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

i agree Roy will be offered a new contract, assuming he wants it, but there will still be big changes this summer.

Of the players out of contract a number will definitely leave- Wickham, Tekkers, Sakho and Bats for starters.
Then in defence we have 2 ageing centre backs - Dann and Cahill. At the most 1 could be offered 1 extra year.
Then we have PVA who has turned down a new contract and appears keen to a return to Holland.
There's been a lot of interest in McCarthy so can see him going to Celtic.
Probably the same for Wayne in goal - 3rd choice now so may decide to leave.
Of the remaining Townsend is a dilemma. Woeful form and on decent wages but there is a decent player in there somewhere. Would he take a pay cut?
Both Ward and Clyne at RB - expect only 1 to be here next year.
Then we have young Mitchell - supposedly his agent has refused to sign a new contract and Spurs have previously shown an interest.
So i can see a turnover of about 10 players this summer - that's a major shake up in my book


You may well be right. However, going through your list:
- I can see Wickham departing but he's not in our 25 man squad so doesn't need replacing
- Batshuayi is only a loan and will no doubt be replaced with another loan depending on our perceived needs come the latter stages of the next transfer window.
- I can see Sakho going but not necessarily Benteke. Where would he go? He may well get a 1 year extension on reduced wages. Indeed wages are a major factor for players who may want to walk this summer but may not be able to find anyone who will pay the level they're looking for. They may decide that a reduced package from CPFC is the better option.
- Why not both Cahill and Dann getting an extra year? Cahill's honesty after the Newcastle game points to him not yet being up to speed after his injuries, so we may get to see the better version (which we saw glimpses of on Tuesday) during the rest of the season.
- If PvA goes back to the Netherlands it won't be for the money because they don't pay anything like as much there as we do here.
- McCarthy? Who knows? I expect he'll be offered an extension.
- I, too, expect Hennessey to go but then he's not in our 25 man squad so we don't need to replace him as Butland's already here
- If the club still want Townsend, I'd expect him to agree a reduced contract if he wants to continue playing football rather than go punditting full time.
- As for Clyne and Ward, much depends on whether or not Ferguson ever regains sufficient fitness and strength to play at PL level. I expect the club will keep their options open and we could well see both Clyne and Ward here next year.
- As for Mitchell, again, who knows?

So of those ten players, two aren't even in our 25 man squad so don't need replacing, one is a loan and of the other seven, I can see thee going (Wickham, Sakho and Hennessey). As for the other four, it could go either way. Obviously, if all four were to go then we would have a major shake-up. But will they?

Then there is the question of which of our senior Academy players out on loan might do well enough to be replacements? For example, if Woods, Pierrick and Kirby improve, they may well become full squad players next season.

Edited by doombear (04 Feb 2021 10.55am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eaglesdare's Profile eaglesdare Flag 04 Feb 21 1.05pm Send a Private Message to eaglesdare Add eaglesdare as a friend

during these times we need a steady hand at the ship! sorry i know everyone doesent like roy ball but its a results business.

I am happy with roy as manager

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 04 Feb 21 4.57pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


You may well be right. However, going through your list:
- I can see Wickham departing but he's not in our 25 man squad so doesn't need replacing
- Batshuayi is only a loan and will no doubt be replaced with another loan depending on our perceived needs come the latter stages of the next transfer window.
- I can see Sakho going but not necessarily Benteke. Where would he go? He may well get a 1 year extension on reduced wages. Indeed wages are a major factor for players who may want to walk this summer but may not be able to find anyone who will pay the level they're looking for. They may decide that a reduced package from CPFC is the better option.
- Why not both Cahill and Dann getting an extra year? Cahill's honesty after the Newcastle game points to him not yet being up to speed after his injuries, so we may get to see the better version (which we saw glimpses of on Tuesday) during the rest of the season.
- If PvA goes back to the Netherlands it won't be for the money because they don't pay anything like as much there as we do here.
- McCarthy? Who knows? I expect he'll be offered an extension.
- I, too, expect Hennessey to go but then he's not in our 25 man squad so we don't need to replace him as Butland's already here
- If the club still want Townsend, I'd expect him to agree a reduced contract if he wants to continue playing football rather than go punditting full time.
- As for Clyne and Ward, much depends on whether or not Ferguson ever regains sufficient fitness and strength to play at PL level. I expect the club will keep their options open and we could well see both Clyne and Ward here next year.
- As for Mitchell, again, who knows?

So of those ten players, two aren't even in our 25 man squad so don't need replacing, one is a loan and of the other seven, I can see thee going (Wickham, Sakho and Hennessey). As for the other four, it could go either way. Obviously, if all four were to go then we would have a major shake-up. But will they?

Then there is the question of which of our senior Academy players out on loan might do well enough to be replacements? For example, if Woods, Pierrick and Kirby improve, they may well become full squad players next season.

Edited by doombear (04 Feb 2021 10.55am)

Right DB you originally stated that "there might be one or two new faces but I would be surprised if there is a major shake out".

Now you appear to be saying that there might be one if players don't re-sign.

10 players might go but 2 aren't in the 25 man squad so they don't count? Their combined wages are c80k a week and are only not in it due to injuries.

You agree that Sakho will go and Bats' after his loan finishes.

PVA will go - he's turned down a contract.

Undecided - Townsend, Mitchell, McCarthy, Clyne, Ward, Cahill, Tekkers and Dann.

So it's 13 players, not 10, and 7 are undecided.

We may offer contracts to all 7 (unlikely IMHO) but maybe on reduced terms or pay as you play deals.

Then the other factor is that they are out of contract so can negotiate with other clubs or just retire.

I reckon Cahill at 35 may decide to retire (i think i'd prefer him to Dann), McCarthy may decide to play for his boyhood club, Celtic.
Mitchell, unfortunately seems to have an agent negotiating with other clubs.
Tekkers - this year's extension hasn't really worked has it. Would they make the same mistake again when they have just signed a 6ft 3 replacement

So of the 13, 6 will go and 7 are undecided. If we say 4 of those 7 stay then that's 9 departures in total.

As we usually release 1 or 2 senior players a year and 1 or 2 get sold, i'd say 9 departures is quite a shake up.

You clearly disagree.

Edited by palace99 (04 Feb 2021 5.00pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 05 Feb 21 2.02pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Palace 99, rather than repeat your post here's my reply.

Firstly, 'mea culpa' but I didn't count the number of players in your list.

Secondly, I don't believe that every outgoing player will be replaced unless the Board (i.e. our US investors) have a sudden Santa spirit and make lots of cash available. I'm not expecting that.

Thirdly, my reference to '1 or 2', on reflection, should probably have read 'a few'.

Fourthly, given the revelation of Hodgson's comments concerning his future which are linked to his wanting the board to sort out the expiring player contracts before discussing his own situation, we simply don't know who will be in charge next season.

Fifthly, if too many players choose not to renew contracts offered to them, it will be a question of whether the board will (reluctantly) put their hands in their pockets for a major overhaul or tell the manager (whoever) to work with what they've got (plus a few new players) with any balance of the first team squad vacancies being filled from the U23s/U18s. It's no coincidence, in my view, that so many of our youngsters went out on loan in the last week of the recent transfer window.

In short I see a major overhaul as a last resort. You may, of course, be right and I'll have to eat humble pie. Time will tell.

Meanwhile let's enjoy the rest of the season in the growing likelihood of another season in the PL.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Online Flag 06 Feb 21 10.15am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by palace99


Tekkers - this year's extension hasn't really worked has it. Would they make the same mistake again when they have just signed a 6ft 3 replacement

I think that any decision wouldn't be taken until we have seen whether the 6ft 3 replacement is any good in the Premier League

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Online Flag Cornwall 06 Feb 21 2.13pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

I think that any decision wouldn't be taken until we have seen whether the 6ft 3 replacement is any good in the Premier League

If his legs move when he sees an opportunity occurring then the competition is over.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > When Roy Retires