You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > When Roy Retires
March 9 2021 1.52am

When Roy Retires

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 06 Feb 21 2.41pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by doombear

Palace 99, rather than repeat your post here's my reply.

Firstly, 'mea culpa' but I didn't count the number of players in your list.

Secondly, I don't believe that every outgoing player will be replaced unless the Board (i.e. our US investors) have a sudden Santa spirit and make lots of cash available. I'm not expecting that.

Thirdly, my reference to '1 or 2', on reflection, should probably have read 'a few'.

Fourthly, given the revelation of Hodgson's comments concerning his future which are linked to his wanting the board to sort out the expiring player contracts before discussing his own situation, we simply don't know who will be in charge next season.

Fifthly, if too many players choose not to renew contracts offered to them, it will be a question of whether the board will (reluctantly) put their hands in their pockets for a major overhaul or tell the manager (whoever) to work with what they've got (plus a few new players) with any balance of the first team squad vacancies being filled from the U23s/U18s. It's no coincidence, in my view, that so many of our youngsters went out on loan in the last week of the recent transfer window.

In short I see a major overhaul as a last resort. You may, of course, be right and I'll have to eat humble pie. Time will tell.

Meanwhile let's enjoy the rest of the season in the growing likelihood of another season in the PL.

Blimey it's like an autopsy with you two, jesting of course

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 06 Feb 21 3.04pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


You may well be right. However, going through your list:
- I can see Wickham departing but he's not in our 25 man squad so doesn't need replacing
- Batshuayi is only a loan and will no doubt be replaced with another loan depending on our perceived needs come the latter stages of the next transfer window.
- I can see Sakho going but not necessarily Benteke. Where would he go? He may well get a 1 year extension on reduced wages. Indeed wages are a major factor for players who may want to walk this summer but may not be able to find anyone who will pay the level they're looking for. They may decide that a reduced package from CPFC is the better option.
- Why not both Cahill and Dann getting an extra year? Cahill's honesty after the Newcastle game points to him not yet being up to speed after his injuries, so we may get to see the better version (which we saw glimpses of on Tuesday) during the rest of the season.
- If PvA goes back to the Netherlands it won't be for the money because they don't pay anything like as much there as we do here.
- McCarthy? Who knows? I expect he'll be offered an extension.
- I, too, expect Hennessey to go but then he's not in our 25 man squad so we don't need to replace him as Butland's already here
- If the club still want Townsend, I'd expect him to agree a reduced contract if he wants to continue playing football rather than go punditting full time.
- As for Clyne and Ward, much depends on whether or not Ferguson ever regains sufficient fitness and strength to play at PL level. I expect the club will keep their options open and we could well see both Clyne and Ward here next year.
- As for Mitchell, again, who knows?

So of those ten players, two aren't even in our 25 man squad so don't need replacing, one is a loan and of the other seven, I can see thee going (Wickham, Sakho and Hennessey). As for the other four, it could go either way. Obviously, if all four were to go then we would have a major shake-up. But will they?

Then there is the question of which of our senior Academy players out on loan might do well enough to be replacements? For example, if Woods, Pierrick and Kirby improve, they may well become full squad players next season.

Edited by doombear (04 Feb 2021 10.55am)

I doubt if more than 4 leave in the summer. Its cheaper to give them extended contract on slightly enhanced wages, than buy in new players. As the contracts are ending they are free to leave with no fee. Unless Freeman pulls many rabbits out of the hat and finds 6 of more bargin buys from somewhere, we are going to be stuck having to give current players new contracts.
The Covid era has reduced all clubs income, so there isnt the money to buy new players.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pierre's Profile Pierre Flag Purley 06 Feb 21 3.30pm Send a Private Message to Pierre Add Pierre as a friend

Like other posters have commented and as much as it pains me as well, a lot of supporters might like a new manager with a new plan, emphasis on fast flowing entertaining football and all that from a much younger squad that's full of energy and vitality.
However that requires money that we and other clubs just don't have at present.
SP knows he's better off just renewing Roy's contract for another 12 months, keeping as many of our current squad on our books for a little longer or by renewing them short term.
Also by possibly reducing the current squad salary by enough to purchase 1 or 2 more players we can scrape through another season in the Premiership (they might not be younger either for the moment) cant say we haven't benefitted from some (not all) of our free transfers as of late.
I also think that SP has the academy in the forefront of his mind as the place where ongoing invested money will bear real fruit in the future for Palace! Not only as the place to attract potential real talent in South London & beyond but also then keep hold of it for a change instead of it leaving to go elsewhere!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elphers40's Profile Elphers40 Flag Northants 06 Feb 21 3.36pm Send a Private Message to Elphers40 Add Elphers40 as a friend

I think Roy sounds like he is starting to cast an eye towards retirement. His previous position seems to have softened in the last couple of weeks and he acknowledged in the Leeds presser that the longer term is something he is not sure of.
I think he has something to offer to a younger coach and i would like to see him kept on at the club in some capacity.

This thread started off with the suggestion of Chris Wilder - he’s done fantastic jobs at Northampton, Oxford and Sheff U. IF we could snaffle him from them (BIG IF) he’d be my first choice. I read somewhere that BIg Sam recommend him to the board when he quit.

I wouldn’t be disappointed with Dyche or Howe either.

I think Dyche fits his style of play to the players at his disposal better than anyone in the league and would be a safe bet for us. What he has done with Burnley is remarkable really - 2 promotions, successive Prem Survivals and Europe. That would simply not have happened for Burnley without him. He hasn’t spent much money in the process either and has shown he can develop and improve players too.

Howe offers something different- in that his team’s play attractive football and play on the front foot. I know there will be those that point to Bournemouth’s relegation from the Prem and money spent as a reason to swerve him. But I do think they suffered terrible injuries and Fraser refusing to play was also an unwelcome disruption for the squad- excuses? Maybe. But we are talking here about Bournemouth - from 4th Division to successive survivals in the Prem playing some really good stuff along the way. Again without Howe at Bournemouth things are likely to have been very different.

As Willo points out in Howe’s short spell at Burnley he made some notable signings and I would add Jay Rod to to that list - who clearly had his early promise curtailed by some horrible injuries.

Any of these three would be decent appointments in my book.

I

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 06 Feb 21 3.40pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

Can you imagine Chris Wilder trying to implement his mobile, overlapping centre-backs strategy on 35-year-old Gary Cahill and 33-year-old Scott Dann? Based on their mobility we'd be better off recruiting the bloke who looks after the statues in Trafalgar Square.

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View spartakev2's Profile spartakev2 Flag Anerley 06 Feb 21 4.48pm Send a Private Message to spartakev2 Add spartakev2 as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


You may well be right. However, going through your list:
- I can see Wickham departing but he's not in our 25 man squad so doesn't need replacing
- Batshuayi is only a loan and will no doubt be replaced with another loan depending on our perceived needs come the latter stages of the next transfer window.
- I can see Sakho going but not necessarily Benteke. Where would he go? He may well get a 1 year extension on reduced wages. Indeed wages are a major factor for players who may want to walk this summer but may not be able to find anyone who will pay the level they're looking for. They may decide that a reduced package from CPFC is the better option.
- Why not both Cahill and Dann getting an extra year? Cahill's honesty after the Newcastle game points to him not yet being up to speed after his injuries, so we may get to see the better version (which we saw glimpses of on Tuesday) during the rest of the season.
- If PvA goes back to the Netherlands it won't be for the money because they don't pay anything like as much there as we do here.
- McCarthy? Who knows? I expect he'll be offered an extension.
- I, too, expect Hennessey to go but then he's not in our 25 man squad so we don't need to replace him as Butland's already here
- If the club still want Townsend, I'd expect him to agree a reduced contract if he wants to continue playing football rather than go punditting full time.
- As for Clyne and Ward, much depends on whether or not Ferguson ever regains sufficient fitness and strength to play at PL level. I expect the club will keep their options open and we could well see both Clyne and Ward here next year.
- As for Mitchell, again, who knows?

So of those ten players, two aren't even in our 25 man squad so don't need replacing, one is a loan and of the other seven, I can see thee going (Wickham, Sakho and Hennessey). As for the other four, it could go either way. Obviously, if all four were to go then we would have a major shake-up. But will they?

Then there is the question of which of our senior Academy players out on loan might do well enough to be replacements? For example, if Woods, Pierrick and Kirby improve, they may well become full squad players next season.

Edited by doombear (04 Feb 2021 10.55am)

Wickham and Hennessey are both in our 25 man squad....

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vaibow's Profile Vaibow Flag vancouver/croydon 06 Feb 21 8.02pm Send a Private Message to Vaibow Add Vaibow as a friend

This summer, starting now to be honest, we need a plan implemented and an ethos.

We aren't going down, but we need to rebuild for next season.

We need a manager and set up that has an eye for bargains and lower league talent hungry to make it.

We need to reduce the big earners with no return. Tekkers, Sako, Wickham need shot.

We need to look at it as a team starting fresh in the prem for the 21/22 season.

We don't want to be held hostage to wages, we don't want to be fooled into thinking top 10 is the aim.

We need a goal of getting to 40 points in record time and enjoying it along the way.

Sell Zaha and his money can bring in two players.

Another loan signing and we should be ok as we evolve into a sustainable prem club with youthful players coming through asking questions.

 


This was once a quality forum....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 06 Feb 21 8.10pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by spartakev2

Wickham and Hennessey are both in our 25 man squad....


In the new list, yes, but I hadn't seen that when I wrote my post. They weren't in the previous one. But Woods going out on loan has released one place and the dropping of Henderson has freed up the other. With Jach also out on loan we actually have 28 first teamers on our books who are over 21.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View braunstoneagle's Profile braunstoneagle Flag the middle of bumf*** nowhere... 06 Feb 21 8.39pm Send a Private Message to braunstoneagle Add braunstoneagle as a friend

i cant think of one manager we could realistically get if roy left this summer...the guy is a miracle worker on what, during his tenure has equated to £2.5m a season budget.

i hope to god he signs a new contract to see us through what is going to be a difficult squad transition.

dislike the style of play if you such desire, but dont dis-respect the job he has done.

 


‘Football isn’t instant coffee. You have to work at it. You must grow the bean, grind it.’ Ian Holloway


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kevlee's Profile kevlee Flag born Wandsworth emigrated to Lanc... 06 Feb 21 8.52pm Send a Private Message to kevlee Add kevlee as a friend

I would be happier with Lampard over both Howe and Dyche. However, Dyche in a way would be like Roy. Shoestring, always just trying to stay up. Dunkirk spirit.
Lampard would play the under 18's rather than wheel out players in their mid 30's. Plus I think Lampard may attract players to play for him. The youth is the future.

 


Following Palace since 25 Feb 1978

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View braunstoneagle's Profile braunstoneagle Flag the middle of bumf*** nowhere... 06 Feb 21 8.55pm Send a Private Message to braunstoneagle Add braunstoneagle as a friend

Originally posted by kevlee

I would be happier with Lampard over both Howe and Dyche. However, Dyche in a way would be like Roy. Shoestring, always just trying to stay up. Dunkirk spirit.
Lampard would play the under 18's rather than wheel out players in their mid 30's. Plus I think Lampard may attract players to play for him. The youth is the future.

can i please ask, what has lampard done to warrant getting the job as manager of cpfc?

i like frank btw, just not sure he is ready for the job.

 


‘Football isn’t instant coffee. You have to work at it. You must grow the bean, grind it.’ Ian Holloway


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View spartakev2's Profile spartakev2 Flag Anerley 06 Feb 21 9.21pm Send a Private Message to spartakev2 Add spartakev2 as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


In the new list, yes, but I hadn't seen that when I wrote my post. They weren't in the previous one. But Woods going out on loan has released one place and the dropping of Henderson has freed up the other. With Jach also out on loan we actually have 28 first teamers on our books who are over 21.

Yes they were.....

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > When Roy Retires