You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Mateta
August 2 2021 10.38pm

Mateta

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 23 Feb 21 10.05pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Not sure about Mateta playing up front on his own. He's not shown any obvious pace to run behind, and he hasn't sparkled yet with his back to goal either. If we can get him chances, or even just on the ball in the box he seems to have a languid, casual style I like. Shades of Kanu about him perhaps. Very different type to what we've had before.

Might all change of course, and plenty of players have needed time to adjust to the Premier league, but he might need help outside the box, and I would be interested to see him and Benteke together if we go back to a 442.


A difficult one that. It would probably mean Wilf being asked to play on the right and Andros on the left to provide the crosses and no place for Eze.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 23 Feb 21 10.05pm Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Not sure about Mateta playing up front on his own. He's not shown any obvious pace to run behind, and he hasn't sparkled yet with his back to goal either. If we can get him chances, or even just on the ball in the box he seems to have a languid, casual style I like. Shades of Kanu about him perhaps. Very different type to what we've had before.

Might all change of course, and plenty of players have needed time to adjust to the Premier league, but he might need help outside the box, and I would be interested to see him and Benteke together if we go back to a 442.

That back-heeled goal last night looked pretty sparkly to me..........

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View LeftWing11's Profile LeftWing11 Flag Lee 23 Feb 21 10.09pm Send a Private Message to LeftWing11 Add LeftWing11 as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


A difficult one that. It would probably mean Wilf being asked to play on the right and Andros on the left to provide the crosses and no place for Eze.

Iím not saying that he is the answer I just think we need a system that plays into the striker instead of continuing with Ďinvertedí wingers. In Bentekeís best season (not saying heís the answer, either) we played that way and we did quite well, too.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bexley Eagle's Profile Bexley Eagle Flag Bexley Kent 23 Feb 21 10.20pm Send a Private Message to Bexley Eagle Add Bexley Eagle as a friend

Wilf doesnít play like that and will rarely if ever put in a first time cross.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 23 Feb 21 10.39pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

I've been thinking about formations that get Zaha, Eze and Mateta in the team, but don't leave us overrun in midfield.

Eze on the left with the other two up top might work but both Zaha and Mateta want it to feet, and neither runs behind off the ball. That's where we desperately miss Schlupp. Not a brilliant player but he runs forward off the ball a lot. Even so, thats a 442 and we've not really got the midfield energy for that perhaps.

A 433 with Zaha and Eze either side, floating around might work, but that means both of them have to track back. I can't see any midfield three we could pick having the mobility to cover for them.

Eze, Zaha and a n other behind Mateta in a 4231 sounds good, but that's just 451 by another name, especially when we lose the ball, so again at least one of them has to track back.

No reason why every player shouldn't do their defensive work of course, but it might not get the best out of Eze and Zaha, plus they're pretty bad at it, especially Eze.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (23 Feb 2021 10.41pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 24 Feb 21 8.17am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

I've been thinking about formations that get Zaha, Eze and Mateta in the team, but don't leave us overrun in midfield.

Eze on the left with the other two up top might work but both Zaha and Mateta want it to feet, and neither runs behind off the ball. That's where we desperately miss Schlupp. Not a brilliant player but he runs forward off the ball a lot. Even so, thats a 442 and we've not really got the midfield energy for that perhaps.

A 433 with Zaha and Eze either side, floating around might work, but that means both of them have to track back. I can't see any midfield three we could pick having the mobility to cover for them.

Eze, Zaha and a n other behind Mateta in a 4231 sounds good, but that's just 451 by another name, especially when we lose the ball, so again at least one of them has to track back.

No reason why every player shouldn't do their defensive work of course, but it might not get the best out of Eze and Zaha, plus they're pretty bad at it, especially Eze.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (23 Feb 2021 10.41pm)


A conundrum indeed, but probably only until the end of the season. Who knows what next season's squad is going to look like? We might have a refreshed and reinvigorated back line and midfield with even some new younger players (I'm allowed to dream).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 24 Feb 21 8.28am Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by slubglurge

Andros mentioned this after the game. He remembered crossing on the run from the left wing for Tekkers to score at Bournemouth

Something that many calling for.

Let's look at the stats for games Andros has played on the left in recently

1 Game
1 Cross
1 Assist.

Now let's look at his stats on the right.

Loads of games
Loads of wayward shots
No goals or assists.

We could also look at Benteke's stats.

Goals from crosses 4.
Other goals 0.

In fairness, I've used a faily loose definition of crosses for any purist.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 24 Feb 21 9.13am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Something that many calling for.

Let's look at the stats for games Andros has played on the left in recently

1 Game
1 Cross
1 Assist.

Now let's look at his stats on the right.

Loads of games
Loads of wayward shots
No goals or assists.

We could also look at Benteke's stats.

Goals from crosses 4.
Other goals 0.

In fairness, I've used a faily loose definition of crosses for any purist.


Sorry to be pedantic but Andros did stand up the ball from the right for Wilf's goal in the Soton game and a beautiful cross it was too, and, of course he was there to score our first goal against Man U, but since those opening two games against half-cooked opposition you're not wrong Jeeagles.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 24 Feb 21 9.24am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Based solely on his YouTube clips he seems to like running onto the ball - if they ever play together Bentekeís hold up play could suit him. The two of them would offer a real threat in the air as well.

Yes, I'd play him deep to be able to hold up play and release our attack, but the goal he scored has made my season.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 24 Feb 21 9.30am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


Sorry to be pedantic but Andros did stand up the ball from the right for Wilf's goal in the Soton game and a beautiful cross it was too, and, of course he was there to score our first goal against Man U, but since those opening two games against half-cooked opposition you're not wrong Jeeagles.

Mr Townsend seems to me to be the only player we have who runs and closes down the opposition when ever he can and he does try to get down the wing to put balls in, our attack is though too slow and predictable defenders have quite an easy task with closing us down our two goals at Brighton especially the first shows what could be done with a little more urgency.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 24 Feb 21 9.37am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by slubglurge

I absolutely loved his goal, not so much his backheel but the fact that he busted a gut to get into the box for Jordans cross. Something that Tekkers has been criticised for not doing and then of course his kung fu kick on the corner flag. He seems like a good lad.

His Backheel was the best bit about it showed he can adapt his feet accordingly and that he has lovely composure, his running is something we haven't really seen a lot of with attackers but having said that Benteke was in the right place at the right time for Townsends cross ..really really hope that's given him incentive.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 24 Feb 21 10.11am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

Yes, I'd play him deep to be able to hold up play and release our attack, but the goal he scored has made my season.

Itís an option, isnít it? Eze and Ayew could benefit from his hold-up play - both can run with the ball and both are likely to win a few free kicks AJ style. Again based on YouTube clips Mateta seems able to find space so could run off the ball carriers.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Mateta