You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > The First 45 You Bought
October 16 2021 12.58am

The First 45 You Bought

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

 

View Tyke Exile's Profile Tyke Exile Flag Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia 25 Feb 21 4.26pm Send a Private Message to Tyke Exile Add Tyke Exile as a friend

The first single I ever got was Apache by The Shadows in 1960 - probably for my birthday (age 5). First one I can actually remember going into a shop and buying was She Loves You by The Beatles in 1963 - presumably with birthday money and saved up pocket money. I bought it at a general electric store in the parade of shops in Whitehorse road near Pawsons Road. The shopkeeper was a dumpy little woman and she took a square box down from the shelf to rummage through to find the record. The last 45 rpm record I ever got was Nikita by Elton John - it was a promotion by a new record store in Croydon High St when you bought an LP. The store didn't last long and any singles I got since then are on CD or pirated!

Bonus fact!!! First 33rpm album I bought was Green River By Creedence Clearwater Revival in 1969

 


Why worry about TODAY when TOMORROW will be even worse.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 25 Feb 21 4.26pm

Heart of glass - blondie
79 or 80

Still think itís a decent tune. Every time it comes on the radio I feel the need to inform whoever is in the car with me that it was the first record I ever bought.

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 25 Feb 21 4.34pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by kingdowieonthewall

Willo may well relate to 78's

I have certainly heard of 78s!
I still have some 33s and 45s which I play on a record player which was purchased for my wife and I about 2 years ago.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 25 Feb 21 4.52pm Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

Originally posted by Tyke Exile

The first single I ever got was Apache by The Shadows in 1960 - probably for my birthday (age 5). First one I can actually remember going into a shop and buying was She Loves You by The Beatles in 1963 - presumably with birthday money and saved up pocket money. I bought it at a general electric store in the parade of shops in Whitehorse road near Pawsons Road. The shopkeeper was a dumpy little woman and she took a square box down from the shelf to rummage through to find the record. The last 45 rpm record I ever got was Nikita by Elton John - it was a promotion by a new record store in Croydon High St when you bought an LP. The store didn't last long and any singles I got since then are on CD or pirated!

Bonus fact!!! First 33rpm album I bought was Green River By Creedence Clearwater Revival in 1969

Brilliant. I'd completely forgotten about the rummage through the box to find the record you were buying but rummage you had to do. There was even an air of potential disappointment in case they'd sold the last copy.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 25 Feb 21 4.54pm Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Heart of glass - blondie
79 or 80

Still think itís a decent tune. Every time it comes on the radio I feel the need to inform whoever is in the car with me that it was the first record I ever bought.

Wouldn't have guessed your first purchase would involve a blond sort.

Would, by the way.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Zimeagle's Profile Zimeagle Flag Harare 25 Feb 21 5.03pm Send a Private Message to Zimeagle Add Zimeagle as a friend

Roy Orbison's Only The Lonely was my first 45.
The first time I went into a record booth was to listen to Penitentiary Blues by Brownie McGee and Sonny Terry; that got me into Blues and, later, Soul. At my 21st birthday party some gate-crashers got in and took most of my collection, including a recently bought Chantilly Lace by Shorty Long. For some reason I made it my mission to replace it but it took 36 years before I found a copy. I bought it and got the DJ at the Oval Tavern to play it ( didn't have a record player by now ). I'd forgotten what it sounded like but really liked it; made me think my taste as a young boy wasn't so bad.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Fatherken's Profile Fatherken Flag 25 Feb 21 5.24pm Send a Private Message to Fatherken Add Fatherken as a friend

the first 45 I got was "Listen to me" EP by Buddy Holly from the record shop in Beckenham High Street
The last one I got was about 5 years ago was " Whammy " by Big Boy Bloater at a pub gig

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View wombat84's Profile wombat84 Flag 25 Feb 21 5.24pm Send a Private Message to wombat84 Add wombat84 as a friend

Clash city rockers-The Clash.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kayjaybee's Profile kayjaybee Flag orpington 25 Feb 21 5.31pm Send a Private Message to kayjaybee Add kayjaybee as a friend

MacArthur park by Richard Harris, epic !!!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 25 Feb 21 5.32pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Zimeagle

Roy Orbison's Only The Lonely was my first 45.
The first time I went into a record booth was to listen to Penitentiary Blues by Brownie McGee and Sonny Terry; that got me into Blues and, later, Soul. At my 21st birthday party some gate-crashers got in and took most of my collection, including a recently bought Chantilly Lace by Shorty Long. For some reason I made it my mission to replace it but it took 36 years before I found a copy. I bought it and got the DJ at the Oval Tavern to play it ( didn't have a record player by now ). I'd forgotten what it sounded like but really liked it; made me think my taste as a young boy wasn't so bad.

Thought id have a nose, found it . . .

[Link]


 


Is now OFFICIALLY retired.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Harpo's Profile Harpo Flag Oxfordshire 25 Feb 21 5.47pm Send a Private Message to Harpo Add Harpo as a friend

Although I'm now drawing my pension, I have never bought a 45.
I went straight to cassettes only because they could be played in the car - and auto-reversed. Whatever would they think of next.
My cassette collection extended to over 500 by the time CD's were launched.
Of course, my choice of music was limited initially, and my first purchase was on 31st July 1971, almost half a century ago!
I was gobsmacked, I never expected to find anything so adventurous as 'Third' by Soft Machine. Today it is the only cassette I possess, and I still listen to it occasionally, courtesy of Tidal.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View batcountry's Profile batcountry Flag Melbourne 25 Feb 21 6.23pm Send a Private Message to batcountry Add batcountry as a friend

Apache by the Shadows for me too.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > The First 45 You Bought