You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > We are Staying up !!!!
April 13 2021 4.55am

We are Staying up !!!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 6 of 8 < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 16 Mar 21 4.56pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

As some have explained in detail it is irrelevant having wealthy owners. It is to do with your ability to earn income as to whether you can spend money on players.

Wealthy owners can buy you a new ground but you are looking at 5-10 years before that is done and the size of the club reaches the critical mass where you can start competing for top players in the transfer window.

We are, along with at least another 10-12 teams in the PL just treading water and nothing really will change. The big teams bias created by FFP has sown up the league in terms of a realistic chance of competing at the top level by making it impossible to do another Chelsea or Man City.

Leicester is the only exception to the rule and they have semi broken into the big time and credit to them for doing so.

If the big teams truly get their way they will not even have to qualify for the CL and their guaranteed £100m for getting there will of course cement their ability to buy the top players.

In short, unless the FFP rules are changed we are never going to become a top team.

It also just always seems like begging.

Throwing money at problems doesn't necessarily work. Just look at Sunderland.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 16 Mar 21 5.34pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles


Throwing money at problems doesn't necessarily work. Just look at Manchester City.


EFA

It's always possible to find a failure if you dig hard enough. Let's not forget that our likely Premier League Champions were in the third division not that long ago and it was only 12 years ago that wealthy owners got involved and bought them a new ground and new players and the rest as they say is history

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 16 Mar 21 6.02pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle


EFA

It's always possible to find a failure if you dig hard enough. Let's not forget that our likely Premier League Champions were in the third division not that long ago and it was only 12 years ago that wealthy owners got involved and bought them a new ground and new players and the rest as they say is history


But as Eaglecoops has rightly said, FFP rules will not allow smaller clubs to do a Citeh or a Chelsea. Citeh got going just in time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 16 Mar 21 7.14pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by doombear

But as Eaglecoops has rightly said, FFP rules will not allow smaller clubs to do a Citeh or a Chelsea. Citeh got going just in time.

That's only partly true as it's the relatively small size of the stadium that holds back our income and capital expenditure on stadiums doesn't count for FFP

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ketteridge's Profile Ketteridge Flag Brighton 16 Mar 21 8.32pm Send a Private Message to Ketteridge Add Ketteridge as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

That's only partly true as it's the relatively small size of the stadium that holds back our income and capital expenditure on stadiums doesn't count for FFP

Agreed, there is progress as club and a progress as a team.

As a club we have cleared some debt and built the academy and thatís pushing us to the next level, redeveloping the old stand is the big one, I think the projections are along the lines of £20m additional income but can't remember where i saw that figure. That is going to take time though for context Haringey council first gave the White Hart Lane development agreement in 2010 and it took till 2019 Spurs to play their first game there, Brentford took 7 years from planning permission to moving in and Plough Lane was similar, Ok not completely comparable as whole grounds but it is not a simple process. Fulham look like they got planning permission in 2017 but were working on the planning the development from 2010.
As a team if by some strange run of result we pick up 12 points from the next 9 games and over haul Arsenal, Villa and even Everton to finish 7th will that be progress if we start next season with the same squad, probably not.
As a team we have made some progress in dealing with an aging squad, Eze and to some extent Mitchell and Jairo coming in has bought down the age of the squad and gives abit more longevity about the squad especially if Metata get a few games before the end of the season , shame Ferguson hasnít played. If we start next season with maybe someone like Conor Gallagher and and a young CD then we have made more progress.

We are making progress, it will just be slow and steady rather then fast and dynamic which is a bit like our midfield at the moment.

 


One supporter of hacking argued that without it "you will do away with the courage and pluck of the game, and I will be bound to bring over a lot of Frenchmen who would beat you with a week's practice -Blackheath secretary at first meeting of the F.A

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 16 Mar 21 10.15pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

That's only partly true as it's the relatively small size of the stadium that holds back our income and capital expenditure on stadiums doesn't count for FFP

Itís a time restricted thing. Building a new stadium and creating a scenario where you can challenge the top is a 10 year investment at best and how many investors would be willing to get involved with no/little return for that sort of period?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 17 Mar 21 9.38am Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle


EFA

It's always possible to find a failure if you dig hard enough. Let's not forget that our likely Premier League Champions were in the third division not that long ago and it was only 12 years ago that wealthy owners got involved and bought them a new ground and new players and the rest as they say is history

Manchester City were in Division Two 22 years ago.

18 years ago they were fortunate enough to be handed a new stadium by the council.

Since they became the richest club in the world 12 years ago they have managed 4 league titles, despite regularly spending far more than anyone else. That means they have failed on 8 out of 12 occasions, missing out to clubs with less resources. Nor have they had any success in Europe. Any wins they do have are immediately tainted by the notion that they just bought success, like how Donald bought Ivanka. That's a pretty inefficient return on the spending.

Other clubs have had far greater resources than us as well as Sunderland. Blackburn, Hull, Fulham, Cardiff, QPR, Watford, Wednesday, Forest... all clubs we have outperformed since 2010.

Chucking money at a club doesn't work.

Others are right, the board are generally getting most things right. I suspect the American's are there to underwrite the training ground and new stand should things go tits up. It's not like a bank would lend money to a football club at a sensible interest rate.

Others have pointed out how long it takes to put push through a stadium development, particularly in London and particularly with Croydon Council's record on redevelopment.

Billionaire owners tend to be drawn to clubs good infrastructure. Leicester, Wolves, Hull, Cardiff, Sunderland and so on all have recently redeveloped grounds. If you do want a sugar daddy, development of the ground is the way to go, but will still take years.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Davepalace707's Profile Davepalace707 Flag Northumberland 17 Mar 21 3.47pm Send a Private Message to Davepalace707 Add Davepalace707 as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Manchester City were in Division Two 22 years ago.

18 years ago they were fortunate enough to be handed a new stadium by the council.

Since they became the richest club in the world 12 years ago they have managed 4 league titles, despite regularly spending far more than anyone else. That means they have failed on 8 out of 12 occasions, missing out to clubs with less resources. Nor have they had any success in Europe. Any wins they do have are immediately tainted by the notion that they just bought success, like how Donald bought Ivanka. That's a pretty inefficient return on the spending.

Other clubs have had far greater resources than us as well as Sunderland. Blackburn, Hull, Fulham, Cardiff, QPR, Watford, Wednesday, Forest... all clubs we have outperformed since 2010.

Chucking money at a club doesn't work.

Others are right, the board are generally getting most things right. I suspect the American's are there to underwrite the training ground and new stand should things go tits up. It's not like a bank would lend money to a football club at a sensible interest rate.

Others have pointed out how long it takes to put push through a stadium development, particularly in London and particularly with Croydon Council's record on redevelopment.

Billionaire owners tend to be drawn to clubs good infrastructure. Leicester, Wolves, Hull, Cardiff, Sunderland and so on all have recently redeveloped grounds. If you do want a sugar daddy, development of the ground is the way to go, but will still take years.

Excellent post

 


ďYou miss 100 per cent of the shots you donít takeĒ

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Therealeaglestilidie's Profile Therealeaglestilidie Flag 26 Mar 21 9.20am Send a Private Message to Therealeaglestilidie Add Therealeaglestilidie as a friend


Seems the club are confident we are staying up.

[Link]

 


I'm so Palace I don't even know it

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eaglesdare's Profile eaglesdare Flag 26 Mar 21 10.49am Send a Private Message to eaglesdare Add eaglesdare as a friend

Originally posted by ChicagoPalace

Safety, and obtaining the most points possible, are obviously the primary objectives. I get my enjoyment from Palace winning matches. The "How" doesn't bother me all that much. Will gladly take today's product and result 100 times out of 100 over losing 4-3 at Anfield like we did a few seasons ago.

If you support Palace to be entertained, but really don't care if the club wins or not, perhaps you would get more enjoyment spending your Saturdays at the cinema or a gymnastics meet.

My thoughts precisely! I never supported palace for the "good football" if i wanted easy on the eye footie i would have followed city, liverpool or it arsenal, united back when i started following football!

I would take an ugly 1-0 win any day of the week! i said to myself a few years ago i would just love two or 3 seasons of a no stress season and thats exactly what ive gotten! no fear of relegation no 6 pointer games no nervy last 2 games going to the wire etc...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 26 Mar 21 12.29pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by eaglesdare

My thoughts precisely! I never supported palace for the "good football" if i wanted easy on the eye footie i would have followed city, liverpool or it arsenal, united back when i started following football!

I would take an ugly 1-0 win any day of the week! i said to myself a few years ago i would just love two or 3 seasons of a no stress season and thats exactly what ive gotten! no fear of relegation no 6 pointer games no nervy last 2 games going to the wire etc...

Ugly isn't really the word for some of our performances. Sh1t would be one. Totally inept would be two words. There were several matches we didn't even try and another several where only one or two players tried.
I hope you're having a massive 'avoid relegation' party, because I'm not. I suspect it is numbing to loads of us, I'm just totally numb to our performances now. Going through the motions for the run in will be the final euthanasia for many of us. I hope we do well but have very low expectations, as do you.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kingdowieonthewall's Profile kingdowieonthewall Flag glorious Goring by sea 26 Mar 21 2.03pm Send a Private Message to kingdowieonthewall Add kingdowieonthewall as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

Ugly isn't really the word for some of our performances. Sh1t would be one. Totally inept would be two words. There were several matches we didn't even try and another several where only one or two players tried.
I hope you're having a massive 'avoid relegation' party, because I'm not. I suspect it is numbing to loads of us, I'm just totally numb to our performances now. Going through the motions for the run in will be the final euthanasia for many of us. I hope we do well but have very low expectations, as do you.

pretty much how i feel also.
i'd expect roy will get a 1 year extension (if he wants it) so as you were next season also.

 


Kids,tired of being bothered by your pesky parents?
Then leave home, get a job & pay your own bills, while you still know everything.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 6 of 8 < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > We are Staying up !!!!