You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > A Palace Future
June 24 2021 1.19pm

A Palace Future

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 01 Jun 21 2.56pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

I think that people are getting carried away with unrealistic goals for our Club in the New post Covid situation (if it ever arrives) the only way forward is bringing the young players through for survival, we have been in Administration twice in our recent history, The 100k a week set up is over, and the best manager who can bring the young players through is the right choice, even if it means relegation, The Ground is Awful, unless a multi billionaire buys palace that is the reality, like it or not

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 01 Jun 21 3.35pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

I think that people are getting carried away with unrealistic goals for our Club in the New post Covid situation (if it ever arrives) the only way forward is bringing the young players through for survival, we have been in Administration twice in our recent history, The 100k a week set up is over, and the best manager who can bring the young players through is the right choice, even if it means relegation, The Ground is Awful, unless a multi billionaire buys palace that is the reality, like it or not

I am not sure many have unrealistic goals, especially those of us who have supported the club for many many years. I believe, thanks to “tight housekeeping” over the last few years, we are in a better position than many. However I agree, for a club our size, with our present ground, the academy is certainly the way forward. Hopefully the large investment made to this will bear fruit and will help us attract the vast amount of talent there is around London.

Edited by Spiderman (01 Jun 2021 3.36pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Online Flag Midhurst 01 Jun 21 4.01pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

I am not sure many have unrealistic goals, especially those of us who have supported the club for many many years. I believe, thanks to “tight housekeeping” over the last few years, we are in a better position than many. However I agree, for a club our size, with our present ground, the academy is certainly the way forward. Hopefully the large investment made to this will bear fruit and will help us attract the vast amount of talent there is around London.

Edited by Spiderman (01 Jun 2021 3.36pm)

I concur Spider, good response. Us old'ns have lived through many ups and downs in our club. We're not exactly immune, but perhaps more tolerant and understanding of some of the goings on.

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 01 Jun 21 5.06pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

I think building the new stand is realistic, though not if it risks the clubs finances. Presuming the Americans will lend us the money for the stand rather than just pay for it, we need to tread carefully, but it can be done within our means.

We will be relegated one of these days, just like everyone who isn't part of the mega rich will be relegated one of these days.

That's the crossroads we are at. You wouldn't want to spend £100m expanding the ground if it will only be half full because you're in the championship - the debt alone would be crippling if we went down. On the other hand, if we don't build the stand then we will be slipping backwards by not moving forwards.

I'd guess that the club will assess the feasibility of the new stand once they can see if this summer of transition has been a success or not.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 01 Jun 21 5.12pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

I think building the new stand is realistic, though not if it risks the clubs finances. Presuming the Americans will lend us the money for the stand rather than just pay for it, we need to tread carefully, but it can be done within our means.

We will be relegated one of these days, just like everyone who isn't part of the mega rich will be relegated one of these days.

That's the crossroads we are at. You wouldn't want to spend £100m expanding the ground if it will only be half full because you're in the championship - the debt alone would be crippling if we went down. On the other hand, if we don't build the stand then we will be slipping backwards by not moving forwards.

I'd guess that the club will assess the feasibility of the new stand once they can see if this summer of transition has been a success or not.

I agree glad I don’t have to make these decisions

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Swindy's Profile Swindy Flag Bromley 01 Jun 21 6.00pm Send a Private Message to Swindy Add Swindy as a friend

Some excellent points, redeveloping the new stand should be the idea. The Academy has made proper significant steps.
I would like to feel more that the club is becoming more established at this level rather than it feeling that we are nearer being a newly-promoted club.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 01 Jun 21 6.41pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Sorry if I'm a bit 'fik' havent we already got a whole thread about the main stand?

Why start another one?

 


Is now OFFICIALLY retired.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 01 Jun 21 7.36pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13

Sorry if I'm a bit 'fik' havent we already got a whole thread about the main stand?

Why start another one?

I think the op was talking in more general terms about what we should want or expect the future to hold. My response personally is to build the stand as I think thats a tangible legacy that will secure our future more than another few mid table finishes, though doubtless others will have a different vision and focus on the team itself.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (01 Jun 2021 7.38pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ambrose7's Profile ambrose7 Flag Croydon 02 Jun 21 12.39pm Send a Private Message to ambrose7 Add ambrose7 as a friend

If we're not committed to building a stand of that size, then perhaps we look at sorting out the AW or the Whitehorse. Either way, we're close to the worst ground in the top 2 tiers (as great as the sentimentality of it is) with mass numbers of restricted view seats and it has a shelf life. Something has to be done with it, and we're in the best financial position to do it right now.

The academy is definitely a way forward for the future, but you might get one who can make a Premier League contribution next season, and maybe 3/4 at best in either of the U23s or U18s squads who will ever do it if we're lucky. Let's be honest that the U23s scraped home past a League 1 reserve side. It can be a key feature of our planning, but it can't be the basis of the squad.

I think many will agree that the basis needs to be buying the best 21/22 year old talent going and knowing we can sell them and make a profit. Leicester do it constantly, Norwich bounced straight back up because Cantwell, Buendia and Aarons smashed the Championship. Our two are injured. We probably need 5 of them to come in, they become the nucleus, and they're not a sunk cost because their value will only rise.

 


26th January 2010 - Enter Administration
2nd May 2010 - D-Day 1 - Survival at Hillsborough
1st June 2010 - D-Day 2 - Survival at Lloyds
7th June 2010 - CPFC2010 exchange contracts.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 02 Jun 21 2.56pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

I think that people are getting carried away with unrealistic goals for our Club in the New post Covid situation (if it ever arrives) the only way forward is bringing the young players through for survival, we have been in Administration twice in our recent history, The 100k a week set up is over, and the best manager who can bring the young players through is the right choice, even if it means relegation, The Ground is Awful, unless a multi billionaire buys palace that is the reality, like it or not

Some good points. Not saying you are wrong but just for debate:

1. New Post covid era - will impact every club, not just Palace, so all will need to adjust budgets etc

2. Young players - agree but our academy products are not ready yet. U18s look promising but they are 2 or 3 years away from being ready. Look at the guys we recently loaned out - barely getting a game in the lower leagues. I assume you also mean buying in younger players. Yes, agree - this has always been the Palace way but is our scouting network good enough to spot them? If teams like Peterboro and Brentford can regularly spot them why can't we??

3. £100k week wages are over. Well Zaha has 2 years left so his £130k is not going anywhere unless we sell him. Those wages were agreed with SP who seems to always overpay. Wages definitely need to come down, but just not sure that SP is the right person to do it.

4. Ground is awful. Agree, but all seems to have been put on hold due to potential new main stand. I've always thought there is more we can do to make the AW a better stand - expand the concourse and add extra toilets etc. This stand holds over 9,000 spectators and it is a horrible experience.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View crystal-purley's Profile crystal-purley Flag Purley 02 Jun 21 3.16pm Send a Private Message to crystal-purley Add crystal-purley as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

Some good points. Not saying you are wrong but just for debate:

1. New Post covid era - will impact every club, not just Palace, so all will need to adjust budgets etc

2. Young players - agree but our academy products are not ready yet. U18s look promising but they are 2 or 3 years away from being ready. Look at the guys we recently loaned out - barely getting a game in the lower leagues. I assume you also mean buying in younger players. Yes, agree - this has always been the Palace way but is our scouting network good enough to spot them? If teams like Peterboro and Brentford can regularly spot them why can't we??

3. £100k week wages are over. Well Zaha has 2 years left so his £130k is not going anywhere unless we sell him. Those wages were agreed with SP who seems to always overpay. Wages definitely need to come down, but just not sure that SP is the right person to do it.

4. Ground is awful. Agree, but all seems to have been put on hold due to potential new main stand. I've always thought there is more we can do to make the AW a better stand - expand the concourse and add extra toilets etc. This stand holds over 9,000 spectators and it is a horrible experience.

1 Not sure that Covid will effect football for much longer but do agree that it will in the short term.

2 We can do that but would it mean another layer to worry about and pay for as like the under 23s it will take a while to pay off for us. I am in favour of this though

3 £100k wages are here to stay at least until one or more of the big boys feels the heat of an 80 string squad who all need paying. We should be feeling the effect of not having too many well paid players as we lose those players at the end of their contracts

4 I agree too and feel that we should downsize the bells and whistles on the proposed new old stand and hopefully find some money (as we have with the juniors upgrade) for the Arthur Wait and maybe look into a second tier for the Whitehorse end. Difficult if we haveno money to start with.

 


Just retired and almost mastered decorating but haven't learned to garden yet

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 02 Jun 21 4.52pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

Some good points. Not saying you are wrong but just for debate:

1. New Post covid era - will impact every club, not just Palace, so all will need to adjust budgets etc

2. Young players - agree but our academy products are not ready yet. U18s look promising but they are 2 or 3 years away from being ready. Look at the guys we recently loaned out - barely getting a game in the lower leagues. I assume you also mean buying in younger players. Yes, agree - this has always been the Palace way but is our scouting network good enough to spot them? If teams like Peterboro and Brentford can regularly spot them why can't we??

3. £100k week wages are over. Well Zaha has 2 years left so his £130k is not going anywhere unless we sell him. Those wages were agreed with SP who seems to always overpay. Wages definitely need to come down, but just not sure that SP is the right person to do it.

4. Ground is awful. Agree, but all seems to have been put on hold due to potential new main stand. I've always thought there is more we can do to make the AW a better stand - expand the concourse and add extra toilets etc. This stand holds over 9,000 spectators and it is a horrible experience.

We tend to forget that nobody has a magic recipe when it comes to finding good value in the market. Brentford, Peterborough, and every other club also sign their share of players who don't do as well as hoped for.

In any event, finding a player to do well in League 1 or even the Championship is, by definition, easier to do than finding one to improve a mid-table premier league side. As the required standard gets higher, the number of people capable of meeting it decreases. We will see if Brentford can make their model work in the top flight - the evidence to date suggests not.

If you look at a list of players Brentford have sold at a profit there's not many that you could say have been able to step up to the top flight. Watkins and Konsa have, but the jury is very much out on Maupay, Benrahma and Mepham, and I doubt anyone would want us to sign Andre Gray or Scott Hogan. Most of the players to have done well for Brentford before being sold at a profit aren't ones that would have been much use to us the moment we became a top flight side. They find players who they turn into good championship assets, and fair play to them for that, but finding lower league players who can do well in the premier league is much harder to do.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (02 Jun 2021 5.00pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > A Palace Future