You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Dominic Cummings
September 18 2021 8.19am

Dominic Cummings

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

 

View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 22 Jul 21 2.41pm Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Why on earth not? More transparency and accountability is exactly what's needed within Government.

Caught up on the interview yesterday; he's an interesting bloke to listen to if nothing else - clearly got a personal mission to discredit Boris & Co. but I'd be very confident there's big portions of truth in what he's saying.

He's certainly right that there should be a public enquiry into the Covid response as soon as possible, and if the claims he's made are verified, there has to be consequences. I've no hope this will happen, but it should.

Nice of the BBC to finally question some parts of the Vote Leave campaign - only 5 years too late.

You cannot have every detail of Cabinet discussions leaked - things get said and discussed and people need to know they can say things without fear of reprisal.
People will be scared to express opinions and it is expression of opinions and ideas that can get things done - when that stops things will only get worse - and right now we are starting from a low base point!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 22 Jul 21 4.58pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by Fatherken

To say that people who thought Brexit was a good idea had a screw loose is rubbish .
The last general election was a second Brexit referendum .
Labour could not see this and left there supporters behind and therefore they did not vote for them .
As for Cummings , he is acting like a spoilt child who did not get his own way .
By the way does he has a book due out ?

He said if you are certain on Brexit either way you’ve probably got a screw loose - very different message.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 22 Jul 21 5.01pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Why on earth not? More transparency and accountability is exactly what's needed within Government.

Caught up on the interview yesterday; he's an interesting bloke to listen to if nothing else - clearly got a personal mission to discredit Boris & Co. but I'd be very confident there's big portions of truth in what he's saying.

He's certainly right that there should be a public enquiry into the Covid response as soon as possible, and if the claims he's made are verified, there has to be consequences. I've no hope this will happen, but it should.

Nice of the BBC to finally question some parts of the Vote Leave campaign - only 5 years too late.

What were your views on his trip last year? Did you call him interesting then? Or are you one who didn’t believe a word he said last year but now he is worth listening too?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 22 Jul 21 5.12pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by The Dolphin

You cannot have every detail of Cabinet discussions leaked - things get said and discussed and people need to know they can say things without fear of reprisal.
People will be scared to express opinions and it is expression of opinions and ideas that can get things done - when that stops things will only get worse - and right now we are starting from a low base point!

Agreed.

I have no problem with the public knowing who was at a meeting who voted for what and what decision was made. However the discussions leading up to that should be private otherwise people will say nothing for fear of being hounded and bad decisions will be the consequence.

For instance when the pandemic first started there would have been genuine questions to be asked who does it impact most? What is the cost to the country financially and morally etc? It doesn't mean that the person who raises these issues thinks "sod em" let the old people die but you have to have a full discussion to then make an informed decision.

People often need a process before they make a decision and some comments will be uncomfortable and perhaps thoughtless. If you spied on the Pope 24 x 7 I bet he would say something he would be embarrassed about.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 22 Jul 21 5.25pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by Spiderman

What were your views on his trip last year? Did you call him interesting then? Or are you one who didn’t believe a word he said last year but now he is worth listening too?

I’m sure we’ve already had this exchange - it’s such a boring point. Yes, the left are more keen to believe him now, and the right are more keen to disbelieve him. That’s how it works - is it not more interesting to actually discuss the topic?

I’ve always found him quite an interesting bloke, but will happily admit his recent ‘anti political system’ stuff is what has ramped it up.

I think he’s fairly reprehensible morally, and even yesterday his failure to admit to certain things was hard to watch, but he’s a good speaker and discusses some interesting topics.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 22 Jul 21 5.28pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by The Dolphin

You cannot have every detail of Cabinet discussions leaked - things get said and discussed and people need to know they can say things without fear of reprisal.
People will be scared to express opinions and it is expression of opinions and ideas that can get things done - when that stops things will only get worse - and right now we are starting from a low base point!



Ok, but that’s quite a different point to saying “you just cannot have people just spilling the beans about what goes on in government” - I think more transparency and accountability into what goes on in government is exactly what is needed, and maybe then we wouldn’t have such a useless collection of individuals making decisions for us.


Agree there should be some room for frank discussions behind closed doors, but there’s far too little accountability at the moment.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 22 Jul 21 5.33pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by Badger11

Agreed.

I have no problem with the public knowing who was at a meeting who voted for what and what decision was made. However the discussions leading up to that should be private otherwise people will say nothing for fear of being hounded and bad decisions will be the consequence.

For instance when the pandemic first started there would have been genuine questions to be asked who does it impact most? What is the cost to the country financially and morally etc? It doesn't mean that the person who raises these issues thinks "sod em" let the old people die but you have to have a full discussion to then make an informed decision.

People often need a process before they make a decision and some comments will be uncomfortable and perhaps thoughtless. If you spied on the Pope 24 x 7 I bet he would say something he would be embarrassed about.

I think you’re being exceptionally generous - Boris isn’t reported to have said ‘who does it impact most’ or ‘what is the cost to the county financially’ - he’s reported to have said precisely the types of things you’ve followed those examples with.

As I said above, broadly I agree there should be some scope for frank discussions, but I disagree significantly on where that line should be drawn - again, to me the lack of transparency of it all is a big part of why both parties are so incompetent.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 22 Jul 21 6.05pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

I think you’re being exceptionally generous - Boris isn’t reported to have said ‘who does it impact most’ or ‘what is the cost to the county financially’ - he’s reported to have said precisely the types of things you’ve followed those examples with.

As I said above, broadly I agree there should be some scope for frank discussions, but I disagree significantly on where that line should be drawn - again, to me the lack of transparency of it all is a big part of why both parties are so incompetent.

Sure but people in government, civil servants, advisors and politicians will simply stop sending emails and texts and won't say much in meetings.

I am all for transparency e.g. Cameron's mate gets the contract how was that voted for or decided by whom, this is already examined by Parliament and rightly so. I don't need to know that during a meeting somebody made an off colour joke to relive the boredom.

Edited by Badger11 (22 Jul 2021 6.06pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 22 Jul 21 6.24pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

I do wonder if anyone would be brave/stupid enough to employ DC, how could anyone trust him. Obviously a book to come out within the next 12 months

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 22 Jul 21 11.29pm Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

It's the usual basis of " discussion " here that opinions become facts for some.

I would like to see evidence to back up up the claims of Cummings, some may be true but can't just take his word as he is conflicted.

For the left leaning/anti Govt side, Cummings is now to be believed on every criticism or snipe at Johnson because it suits a narrative that he is.

Time will tell

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

I have simply accepted Wisbech Eagle is an all knowing and wise higher form of life.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View AuntyAnne70's Profile AuntyAnne70 Flag Tunbridge WElls 22 Jul 21 11.44pm Send a Private Message to AuntyAnne70 Add AuntyAnne70 as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

It works both ways, there are some who thought he was a stand up guy and that he did go to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight, or so they would have you believe, but now amazingly think he may tell porkies!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 23 Jul 21 12.19am Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Dominic Cummings' by kenbarr

Originally posted by HKOwen

It's the usual basis of " discussion " here that opinions become facts for some.

I would like to see evidence to back up up the claims of Cummings, some may be true but can't just take his word as he is conflicted.

For the left leaning/anti Govt side, Cummings is now to be believed on every criticism or snipe at Johnson because it suits a narrative that he is.

Time will tell

I don’t really care. Even if 50% of it is true, which judging by his confidence and ‘evidence’ of conversations released so far, it probably is. And surely that’s enough. Frankly, knowing how much of a s*** show politics and government is and has always been, none of it seems in any way far fetched.

He also doesn’t seem to be the type of guy to care about either being employed or needing to make stuff up to appeal. Just has his ideology and that’s that.

For what it’s worth he’s dead right about the insanity of the political system and Whitehall - he’s asked specifically about the UK but frankly it could apply to a fair few countries.

 


said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 95% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Dominic Cummings