You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Gym / Training Question.
October 26 2021 3.39am

Gym / Training Question.

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

 

View Crazy_Eagle's Profile Crazy_Eagle Flag South London 25 Jul 21 4.21pm Send a Private Message to Crazy_Eagle Add Crazy_Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by kingdowieonthewall

Im sure theres a few boys & girls on here who put a lot of time into the gym / working out.

Simple question,
should I eat protein, such as a tin or 2 of Tuna after my workout?
Doing half hour - 1hr a day, 5 days a week.
workout is mainly / 90% weights.
(dumbbells, reps. not heavy lifting)
Aim is to trim up/ build muscle but not bulk up.

cheers for any advice
KD.


I wouldn't have tuna more than 3 times a week due to the mercury content.

Sign up to MH's (free, I hope) and read their guide on what other foods high in protein you could also have. [Link]

Good luck!

 


R.I.P. DJ Hardline

CPFC2010

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Sheks Crows Eye's Profile Sheks Crows Eye Flag Virginia 25 Jul 21 4.37pm Send a Private Message to Sheks Crows Eye Add Sheks Crows Eye as a friend

Originally posted by kingdowieonthewall

Im sure theres a few boys & girls on here who put a lot of time into the gym / working out.

Simple question,
should I eat protein, such as a tin or 2 of Tuna after my workout?
Doing half hour - 1hr a day, 5 days a week.
workout is mainly / 90% weights.
(dumbbells, reps. not heavy lifting)
Aim is to trim up/ build muscle but not bulk up.

cheers for any advice
KD.

I would attempt to eat 3/4 of my weight in grams of protein. I live in the US so using the Imperial system, if one weighed 200lbs, then I would aim to eat at least 150g of protein per day. Small things add up - meal prepping chicken breast for lunches through the week etc etc.

Keep in mind by eating more protein your body has to work harder to digest it, so even when you are sedentary you will have an increased metabolic rate and higher calorie burn.

It's all a numbers game. 2000 calories a day to maintain your body weight, less than that to lose weight and more than that to gain weight.

You don't have to break the bank either, buying a simple protein powder and mixing it with milk when you get home from your workout will do the trick.

I might suggest adding "supersets" to your workouts as well to increase the intensity which will build strength, and burn fat. EG: Do to workouts immediately with no rest. Bench Press into Curls, Military Press into Landmine Press.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 25 Jul 21 4.51pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Sheks Crows Eye

I would attempt to eat 3/4 of my weight in grams of protein. I live in the US so using the Imperial system, if one weighed 200lbs, then I would aim to eat at least 150g of protein per day. Small things add up - meal prepping chicken breast for lunches through the week etc etc.

Keep in mind by eating more protein your body has to work harder to digest it, so even when you are sedentary you will have an increased metabolic rate and higher calorie burn.

It's all a numbers game. 2000 calories a day to maintain your body weight, less than that to lose weight and more than that to gain weight.

You don't have to break the bank either, buying a simple protein powder and mixing it with milk when you get home from your workout will do the trick.

I might suggest adding "supersets" to your workouts as well to increase the intensity which will build strength, and burn fat. EG: Do to workouts immediately with no rest. Bench Press into Curls, Military Press into Landmine Press.


Supersets are really good and try myo reps. Theyíre a rest-pause set. Do 15 reps then rest for 5 breaths and do another 3 reps and repeat pause and 3 reps until you canít complete the set. If you do more than 6 3 rep sets start with more weight next time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Casual's Profile Casual Flag Orpington 25 Jul 21 5.08pm Send a Private Message to Casual Add Casual as a friend

To be in decent shape , itís 70% kitchen 30% exercise unfortunately.
The old saying Ď you canít out train a bad dietí is bang on.
I use diet whey protein after a workout, from my protein.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View acolcpfc's Profile acolcpfc Flag Littlehampton, West Sussex 25 Jul 21 7.47pm Send a Private Message to acolcpfc Add acolcpfc as a friend

Originally posted by kingdowieonthewall

Im sure theres a few boys & girls on here who put a lot of time into the gym / working out.

Simple question,
should I eat protein, such as a tin or 2 of Tuna after my workout?
Doing half hour - 1hr a day, 5 days a week.
workout is mainly / 90% weights.
(dumbbells, reps. not heavy lifting)
Aim is to trim up/ build muscle but not bulk up.

cheers for any advice
KD.

Shoot for around 40g protein within 30-45 minutes of your workout. Protein powder is best post workout, combined with bcaa, dextrose/fast digesting carbs to aid recovery and creatine.

Aim for at least 1g protein/per lb of body weight daily.

Keep protein and fats steady, and adjust carbs when bulking or cutting.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View acolcpfc's Profile acolcpfc Flag Littlehampton, West Sussex 25 Jul 21 7.54pm Send a Private Message to acolcpfc Add acolcpfc as a friend

Originally posted by acolcpfc

Shoot for around 40g protein within 30-45 minutes of your workout. Protein powder is best post workout, combined with bcaa, dextrose/fast digesting carbs to aid recovery and creatine.

Aim for at least 1g protein/per lb of body weight daily.

Keep protein and fats steady, and adjust carbs when bulking or cutting.

Other things to consider which have a big impact are sleep (8 hours per night, at least 2-3 litres of water per day, manage stress, aim for 30g fibre per day, adequate protein is ESSENTIAL other wise you will not only lose fat, but muscle too which is obviously a big no no.

In between sets, instead of resting and doing nothing, keep your heart rate up by doing jumping jacks, step ups etch this will burn more calories too.

Vary your programs at least every 12 weeks. Your body will adapt and get comfortable and then plateau.

Try and increase weight or reps on each exercise from the previous week, for example if you bench pressed 50kg week 1, aim for 52.5kg the following week and so on.

PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 25 Jul 21 8.03pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

Surely to lose a bit of weight (good stuff about diet), then your form of exercise should contain a lot of cardio-vascular ? (as opposed to doing weights)
Weights are good, if you are doing reps, but ultimately you will be building muscle mass, especially going for heavier weights.?

And from middle age onwards, scheduling rest days are just as important as the gym workout

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View acolcpfc's Profile acolcpfc Flag Littlehampton, West Sussex 25 Jul 21 8.09pm Send a Private Message to acolcpfc Add acolcpfc as a friend

Originally posted by Forest Hillbilly

Surely to lose a bit of weight (good stuff about diet), then your form of exercise should contain a lot of cardio-vascular ? (as opposed to doing weights)
Weights are good, if you are doing reps, but ultimately you will be building muscle mass, especially going for heavier weights.?

And from middle age onwards, scheduling rest days are just as important as the gym workout

IMO weight training is better for weight loss than cardio. (Both are obviously good), but the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn.

If you donít like cardio, you can still lose fat from lifting weights 5 times per week and getting 10K steps in per day.

Adequate Protein + Calorie surplus + weight lifting = Building muscle
Adequate protein + calorie deficit + weight lifting = Fat loss


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kingdowieonthewall's Profile kingdowieonthewall Flag glorious Goring by sea 25 Jul 21 9.23pm Send a Private Message to kingdowieonthewall Add kingdowieonthewall as a friend

most appreciated chaps.
A lot of helpful info.
I've lost approx 1.5 stone since the first lockdown
(used garage as home gym) but after initial good gains & trimming up I'm sure ive lost some muscle gained.
As others have pointed out, it appears my protein is insufficient.
While im not after anything of substance, the point is to be & look tidy.
Hit 60 last year & wish to try & balance nearly 40 years of building trade diet.!!
Good advice here in general.
thanks once again
KD.

 


Kids,tired of being bothered by your pesky parents?
Then leave home, get a job & pay your own bills, while you still know everything.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View madcap_v2's Profile madcap_v2 Flag San Antonio de Portmany, Ibiza 26 Jul 21 11.06am Send a Private Message to madcap_v2 Add madcap_v2 as a friend

Originally posted by kingdowieonthewall

Im sure theres a few boys & girls on here who put a lot of time into the gym / working out.

Simple question,
should I eat protein, such as a tin or 2 of Tuna after my workout?
Doing half hour - 1hr a day, 5 days a week.
workout is mainly / 90% weights.
(dumbbells, reps. not heavy lifting)
Aim is to trim up/ build muscle but not bulk up.

cheers for any advice
KD.

You should have protein and simple carbs post workout, 30 mins or so after you finish working out. Ideally something quick like a protein shake + fruit.

There's a lot of good advice on here, some you'll need to take and apply to your own particular situation. Work out your BMR (basal metabloic rate) and use that a base to work out your calorie intake. MyFitnessPal is a great way to track your meals. I personally think without tracking, it's impossible to get an accurate guage on your nutrition.

 


La la la your mum

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 26 Jul 21 12.18pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Yes to the last 2 posts

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 26 Jul 21 12.39pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


On rereading your post KD you might want to do a bit more cardio. Doing weights 5 times a week is quite a lot, depending on the intensity of course, and as you get older is harder to recover from.
Try to mix it up a bit too - do things like 21s to add an isometric component.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Gym / Training Question.