You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Exams
October 19 2021 12.41am

Exams

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

 

View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 11 Aug 21 10.12am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Grade Inflation

I feel sorry for the real high achievers.

My friend has twins they both got top marks in their A levels. They are hard working smart young people who got A's for all of their GCSE exams 2 years ago.

I have no doubt that their scores are accurate and they are both off to university however it is a pity that people like them are lumped in with the undeserving.

A levels have become a joke and do no favours to those sitting them.

Grade inflation. Qualification inflation.

We are now living in a world where a Masters degree today is worth good A levels 50 years ago.

And there are some really shyte masters graduates out there.

Edited by PalazioVecchio (11 Aug 2021 10.14am)

 


Eagle with SE19 altitude

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 11 Aug 21 10.24am Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio

Grade inflation. Qualification inflation.

We are now living in a world where a Masters degree today is worth good A levels 50 years ago.

And there are some really shyte masters graduates out there.

Edited by PalazioVecchio (11 Aug 2021 10.14am)

Utter tripe. Just an easy excuse to pretend that you are just as qualified as your modern equivalents.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 11 Aug 21 10.30am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Utter tripe. Just an easy excuse to pretend that you are just as qualified as your modern equivalents.

Grade inflation isn't 'utter tripe' at all.

I was a teacher and saw it happen even during my time.

Any profession subject to political pressure adapts, via middle management, to present the 'picture' desired of it.

The truth is something else entirely.

This is a 101 basic reality of management systems and human nature and repeats throughout history for anyone intelligent enough to notice or care.

Edited by Stirlingsays (11 Aug 2021 10.31am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 11 Aug 21 10.56am Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Grade inflation isn't 'utter tripe' at all.

I was a teacher and saw it happen even during my time.

Any profession subject to political pressure adapts, via middle management, to present the 'picture' desired of it.

The truth is something else entirely.

This is a 101 basic reality of management systems and human nature and repeats throughout history for anyone intelligent enough to notice or care.

Edited by Stirlingsays (11 Aug 2021 10.31am)

Grade inflation isn't but trying to claim that qualifications now are any easier and worth less than they were years ago is.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 11 Aug 21 11.37am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

When my kids did A levels the distribution of A/A* was about 25%. They worked hard to get good scores. There may well be a lot of young people going to uni courses they are not going to enjoy as they find them too difficult.

There's no easy answer but to actually say high grades are warranted because of the deprivations of covid is complete testicles.

In three/four years time employers will likely not even bother to look at A level results.

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

I have simply accepted Wisbech Eagle is an all knowing and wise higher form of life.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 11 Aug 21 12.02pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Grade inflation isn't but trying to claim that qualifications now are any easier and worth less than they were years ago is.

Surely that's a contradiction within the same statement.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 11 Aug 21 12.15pm Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

It's a garbled statement,
wibble

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Surely that's a contradiction within the same statement.

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

I have simply accepted Wisbech Eagle is an all knowing and wise higher form of life.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 11 Aug 21 12.53pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

I heard that 80% of Oxbridge universities take their graduates from just 6-8 schools, luckily for our pm Eton is included, leaving the other 20% of places to the other 3000 schools- seems fair to me!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 12 Aug 21 5.09am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Any actual facts/numbers to back up those numbers?

"The majority of Oxford’s UK undergraduates come from state schools. For 2020 entry, over 69% of UK offers went to students from the state sector."

Your post also ignores the very significant number of overseas student undergraduate intake

Source: Oxford University


Cambridge similar per this

[Link]
Edited by HKOwen (12 Aug 2021 5.12am)

Edited by HKOwen (12 Aug 2021 5.13am)

Edited by HKOwen (12 Aug 2021 5.18am)

Edited by HKOwen (12 Aug 2021 5.19am)

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

I have simply accepted Wisbech Eagle is an all knowing and wise higher form of life.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 12 Aug 21 1.43pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

I heard that 80% of Oxbridge universities take their graduates from just 6-8 schools, luckily for our pm Eton is included, leaving the other 20% of places to the other 3000 schools- seems fair to me!

The system we have now provides the best education and even more importantly the networking contacts, to those with most money....apart from disastrous affirmative action programs, which are political rather than rational.

I'd agree that the money method is only an indirect way of educating the brightest as IQ and money don't always align. However, they align more than any other individual attributes.

Personally whatever system gets the brightest minds into the most important jobs for society matters much more than politics. I don't think the system does this well today due to other concerns...partly funding related.

Like everything else in this country what was designed to benefit this nation...in terms of elites, has been globally farmed out and is increasingly globalist in nature.

Edited by Stirlingsays (12 Aug 2021 1.46pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 12 Aug 21 3.13pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Those eye watering 10k and free accommodation deals to defer for a year are a bit of alright. First value for money uni experience I've seen in years .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 12 Aug 21 4.57pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Schools and therefore teachers are ranked by the qualifications gained by their students.

Those same teachers award those qualifications.

You couldn't make this up.

As one lovely young student said to her interviewer on the BBC on A level results morning: "The fact that so many more students are achieving A and A stars PROVES that teacher assessment is fairer than exams". To think that back in my day A level students learned the importance of objective analysis.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Exams