You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Workers to pay for social care
September 21 2021 9.28pm

Workers to pay for social care

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 8 of 11 < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

 

View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 09 Sep 21 11.00am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

This current trend of absolute wilful ignorance is staggering. You're so entrenched in your views that you don't even want to consider anything else.

Of course, I consider other interpretations but sometimes the bleedin' obvious cannot be overlooked because it is not PC.

The immigration rate is unprecedented, and so is demand for housing. Before the current influx, the British population was on the cusp of decline.

Think about it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 09 Sep 21 11.28am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

Price is linked to both demand and supply. There are many, many factors which impact both. It's basic economics, not rocket science.

Immigration is a factor which affects demand, which has a knock on effect on price, but it is by no means the only or even the strongest one.

I’m interested to know the strongest factors that affect property prices, and where net immigration however many times more than new housing comes in the list of factors. Ready? Go!

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 09 Sep 21 11.29am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by dreamwaverider

My prediction is that this will hugely damage what is left of social care and dilute services to virtually nothing.

How?

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 09 Sep 21 11.58am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

1.25% point increase on employees’ and employers’ National Insurance Contributions, a 10% increase on current rates, to pay for state subsidised social care. Given that it’s only those employed and their employers that pay this tax and no one over 65, whether employed or not, pays it or not, is this fair? Unearned income such as rental profits, dividends, interest etc. not subject to NIC. A tax that only hits the younger, working, less wealthy population.

Given the demographic on here I’m sure you’re all delighted my generation will be working the next 30 years to pay for someone to wipe your arse in a couple of year’s time but thoughts on here? A manifesto pledge broken by Johnson but does anyone give a sh*t what he does or doesn’t do or say?

Edited by DanH (07 Sep 2021 5.37pm)

Dan, if you start paying now you then are also supposedly paying towards your own care in 30 odd years time!
If it works - which I doubt - then your old age care will be good and cheap so why complain?
My Mum has had to go in to a home for a couple of weeks due to not safe being at home and it's £3,500 which we are paying for.
Given that she worked for 40 odd years some help would be nice - there is none available - and if there is then the NHS is so overworked right now due to the GP's 18 month holiday - then it is difficult to find.
If this new system works then it has to start somewhere so why not now?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 09 Sep 21 12.01pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

I’m interested to know the strongest factors that affect property prices, and where net immigration however many times more than new housing comes in the list of factors. Ready? Go!

This is a good summary of everything that can influence house prices: [Link]

There is also a big impact on the market of foreign investors and buy-to-let landlords hoovering up UK housing stock as it constitutes a 'safe' investment and reducing the supply of houses available for UK residents to buy to actually live in, especially the younger generations without the capital to even put down a deposit.

I am not denying immigration is a factor - it increases demand. The birth/death rate also has to be factored into these numbers though when you are considering the population and local demand.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 09 Sep 21 12.04pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

Dan, if you start paying now you then are also supposedly paying towards your own care in 30 odd years time!
If it works - which I doubt - then your old age care will be good and cheap so why complain?
My Mum has had to go in to a home for a couple of weeks due to not safe being at home and it's £3,500 which we are paying for.
Given that she worked for 40 odd years some help would be nice - there is none available - and if there is then the NHS is so overworked right now due to the GP's 18 month holiday - then it is difficult to find.
If this new system works then it has to start somewhere so why not now?

I agree with you and this is very much a problem that needed to be solved. My nan is, and grandad was until he died recently, in a care home for the last few years so well aware of how crazily expensive it is.

I have no problem per se with the increase if it is being ring fenced; however I would have liked to have seen a different mechanism used to raise the funds in the early years - whether through a higher rate of income tax for higher earners, increasing CGT to be in line with income tax, or some sort of wealth tax (even though difficult in practice to do).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 09 Sep 21 12.32pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

This is a good summary of everything that can influence house prices: [Link]

There is also a big impact on the market of foreign investors and buy-to-let landlords hoovering up UK housing stock as it constitutes a 'safe' investment and reducing the supply of houses available for UK residents to buy to actually live in, especially the younger generations without the capital to even put down a deposit.

I am not denying immigration is a factor - it increases demand. The birth/death rate also has to be factored into these numbers though when you are considering the population and local demand.

I'm not going to waste more time on you, but understand that the key factor for demand and therefore price is houses v people.

People are increasing at a rapid rate and houses are being built at a modest pace. The symptoms of that are what you have described.

It is incredible that people of your persuasion never see the unsustainable nature of this trend.

You would rather blame anything else other than face the reality.
Mass immigration was a policy designed to be a band aid for potential labour shortages with the intension of suppressing wages. It cannot continue.
This country simply does not have the infrastructure or resources to sustain it.
We will be the third world in one lifetime.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 09 Sep 21 12.43pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

This is a good summary of everything that can influence house prices: [Link]

There is also a big impact on the market of foreign investors and buy-to-let landlords hoovering up UK housing stock as it constitutes a 'safe' investment and reducing the supply of houses available for UK residents to buy to actually live in, especially the younger generations without the capital to even put down a deposit.

I am not denying immigration is a factor - it increases demand. The birth/death rate also has to be factored into these numbers though when you are considering the population and local demand.

Another factor is the role of estate agents - if they’re working on a percentage basis they’re going to drive the prices up.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 09 Sep 21 12.49pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

I'm not going to waste more time on you, but understand that the key factor for demand and therefore price is houses v people.

People are increasing at a rapid rate and houses are being built at a modest pace. The symptoms of that are what you have described.

It is incredible that people of your persuasion never see the unsustainable nature of this trend.

You would rather blame anything else other than face the reality.
Mass immigration was a policy designed to be a band aid for potential labour shortages with the intension of suppressing wages. It cannot continue.
This country simply does not have the infrastructure or resources to sustain it.
We will be the third world in one lifetime.

You’re not going to waste more time on me because you can’t be arsed to read something and be proven wrong so you’re just going to stay in your safe little mindset where everything is the fault of immigrants and you’re too lazy to explore otherwise. Got it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 09 Sep 21 12.50pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Another factor is the role of estate agents - if they’re working on a percentage basis they’re going to drive the prices up.

Agreed but I think that’s safe to put down as a constant in the model given the way estate agents behave!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag 09 Sep 21 1.34pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

How?

Because the government will now be funding way more people since they have moved the funding level from£23k to £100k.
They will never be able to afford this amount of increase. As a result councils will not be able to pay for current standards. Therefore they will either have to reduce standards or homes will close. They are already completely unsustainable fee levels. Of course this will not apply to higher fee level homes of say £1500/wk. But they only represent about 15% of the market. Government funded Care homes as we know them will not survive.

Edited by dreamwaverider (09 Sep 2021 1.44pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 09 Sep 21 1.44pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

You’re not going to waste more time on me because you can’t be arsed to read something and be proven wrong so you’re just going to stay in your safe little mindset where everything is the fault of immigrants and you’re too lazy to explore otherwise. Got it.

It is not the fault of immigrants, you silly boy, it is the fault of politicians.

You cannot escape the fundamental causes no matter how much you or so called intellectuals try to dress it up.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 8 of 11 < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Workers to pay for social care