You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > CPFC V Everton Match Thread
August 16 2022 7.21am

CPFC V Everton Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 14 of 14 << First< 10 11 12 13 14

 

View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 21 Mar 22 9.53am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Indeed they caused us problems in the opening 15 minutes with their pressing and intensity but I recall turning to a learned gentleman and opining that Everton will not be able to keep it up and so it proved.Overall Everton were a disappointment.

Not really surprising given the circumstances voiced up the thread. More absentees, fewer days to prepare, an exhausting game against Newcastle, the long journey down (and presumably our pitch?). Yes, they are also not very good; but to have the cards that stacked before the game in addition to their shortfalls, it wasn't a fair fight from the whistle. They came with one desperate plan - the only one they could have - and it failed. Miserably.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 21 Mar 22 9.59am Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Originally posted by MrRobbo

Must admit I'm not sure whey Frank is copping so much hate. He just looks like a manager who is thoroughly pissed off with his players.

If we are honest we didn't play brilliantly, and had some luck in a couple of the goals.

I don't read it as him being critical of us, more that he's properly hacked off that we won 4 nil without really getting out of first gear.

That's good enough for me Mr R!

In The Times this morning, Tony Cascarino's FA Cup TOTW has him including 5 Palace players in Butland, Guehi, Gallagher, Zaha and Mateta. The rest made up of 4 Chelsea and 2 City players.

He is not known for being a big fan of ours so it says a lot that our boys dominate his team. I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 Palace players selected in his regular TOTW slot.

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 21 Mar 22 10.30am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

It was a slow start from Palace. And Everton may have been a different proposition had they have scored when they were on top. But like many struggling teams, they didn't.

Once we took the lead, their heads dropped and they were there for the taking.

In the meantime, Lampard continues to demonstrate all of his characteristics that I don't like about him as a manager. Apart from his public blame of the players, his comments that the problems that existed before he arrived at Everton continue to exist...well, surely that means that he hasn't made a difference !

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 21 Mar 22 4.39pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

It was a slow start from Palace. And Everton may have been a different proposition had they have scored when they were on top. But like many struggling teams, they didn't.

Once we took the lead, their heads dropped and they were there for the taking.

In the meantime, Lampard continues to demonstrate all of his characteristics that I don't like about him as a manager. Apart from his public blame of the players, his comments that the problems that existed before he arrived at Everton continue to exist...well, surely that means that he hasn't made a difference !

A good summary - didn't think we were brilliant, had a bit of luck, but were comfortable winners.

Thought Mateta took his goal really well, really just a half chance, and very similar to the Norwich goal. Keep it up young man.

Also though Eze grew into the game (once he got his footing sorted!) which is really encouraging.

On a general point, the 'award' of an assist always amuses me. So Olise doesn't get one for hitting the post and CG neither for having his shot saved. It's the same with penalties - how many has Zaha won for us over the last 5 years?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View topcat's Profile topcat Flag Holmesdale / Surbiton 21 Mar 22 4.41pm Send a Private Message to topcat Add topcat as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

That's good enough for me Mr R!

In The Times this morning, Tony Cascarino's FA Cup TOTW has him including 5 Palace players in Butland, Guehi, Gallagher, Zaha and Mateta. The rest made up of 4 Chelsea and 2 City players.

He is not known for being a big fan of ours so it says a lot that our boys dominate his team. I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 Palace players selected in his regular TOTW slot.

Butland had a quiet match, didn't have to do much. Butland, Guehi, Gallagher, Zaha and Mateta were all fantastic.

A shame about Lampard, I thought he would be a decent manager but he really should have gone back to the Championship rather than going for a failing Premier League giant.

 


It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kenbarr's Profile kenbarr Flag Jackson Heights, Queens, New York ... 23 Mar 22 3.33am Send a Private Message to kenbarr Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add kenbarr as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

It was a slow start from Palace. And Everton may have been a different proposition had they have scored when they were on top. But like many struggling teams, they didn't.

Once we took the lead, their heads dropped and they were there for the taking.

In the meantime, Lampard continues to demonstrate all of his characteristics that I don't like about him as a manager. Apart from his public blame of the players, his comments that the problems that existed before he arrived at Everton continue to exist...well, surely that means that he hasn't made a difference !

That was shortly after Andros left the match with what looked like a serious injury. He was crucial to their efforts and it showed. Not one other Toffee showed his dedication or work rate. While I heartily disagree with most of what Lampard said, his calling out the rest of his players was called for although instead of the word he used I would have said "bottle." As far as Palace, we started slow but picked up the pace to the point where Everton threw in the towel. I'm particularly impressed by the two second half goals, which were scored of rebounds. One criticism I've had of Palace over the years has been the lack of following up on shots taken but saved or come back off woodwork. Here in the US we call them "garbage goals," meaning they're scored by following up and "taking out the trash." That was my role in my playing days 50 odd years (1965 at the Flushing YMCA & Camp Brooklyn (RIP) through high school soccer in 1974) and I relished it. Not every goal needs to be a work of art. They all count the same as long as it goes aver the line, under the bar & between the posts.

 


Divorced...And LOVING it!
VJRAM Rev.
CPFC since Boxing Day 1989 CPFC 2-2 CFC
Gregg Berhalter, US International & USMNT Head Coach
Jill Ellis, England International & Retired USWNT Head Coach
Trevor Francis, International PRAT

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 23 Mar 22 3.12pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by kenbarr

That was shortly after Andros left the match with what looked like a serious injury. He was crucial to their efforts and it showed. Not one other Toffee showed his dedication or work rate. While I heartily disagree with most of what Lampard said, his calling out the rest of his players was called for although instead of the word he used I would have said "bottle." As far as Palace, we started slow but picked up the pace to the point where Everton threw in the towel. I'm particularly impressed by the two second half goals, which were scored of rebounds. One criticism I've had of Palace over the years has been the lack of following up on shots taken but saved or come back off woodwork. Here in the US we call them "garbage goals," meaning they're scored by following up and "taking out the trash." That was my role in my playing days 50 odd years (1965 at the Flushing YMCA & Camp Brooklyn (RIP) through high school soccer in 1974) and I relished it. Not every goal needs to be a work of art. They all count the same as long as it goes aver the line, under the bar & between the posts.

It was indeed a serious injury, been confirmed it's an 'ACL' . . . [Link]

 


The Child Has Grown,
The Dream Is Gone, And,
I Have Become,
Comfortably Numb.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Glazier#1's Profile Glazier#1 Flag 23 Mar 22 4.17pm Send a Private Message to Glazier#1 Add Glazier#1 as a friend

Originally posted by dreamwaverider

Other than Evertonís vibrant first 15 minutes, we tore at them with a superb display of skills. Some of our unexpected inter passing was awesome Constantly and comprehensively beating them.
Then our goals. A superb corner from Olise that was begging to be bulleted home. Guehi rose majestically to power it into the back of the net reminiscent of Virgil header against us.
Then came Matetas sublime low shot following some slick passing. The Olise boomerang. Then Gallagher smashing a winning volley that the England keeper could only get a hand to presenting the ball to our substitute Hughes to gratefully round off a 15 minute display that was the nail in the coffin for a destroyed Everton team.
All 4 goals were comparable to some Lampard specials through his illustrious career as a player. As a manager things are not looking so bright tonight.

Rose? I thought he just headed it, hardly leaving the ground, completely unchallenged by a defender.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 23 Mar 22 4.24pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Glazier#1


Rose? I thought he just headed it, hardly leaving the ground, completely unchallenged by a defender.

This is how I view the goal.
He made good contact with the ball and directed it into the far corner.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 23 Mar 22 4.32pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Glazier#1

Rose? I thought he just headed it, hardly leaving the ground, completely unchallenged by a defender.

Exactly, unmarked - improved recently though (fingers crossed). Our second worse goal conceded of the season (Bri*hton fluke).

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 14 of 14 << First< 10 11 12 13 14

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > CPFC V Everton Match Thread