You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Southampton v Crystal Palace match thread
May 20 2022 4.24am

Southampton v Crystal Palace match thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 11 of 15 < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

 

View Luarddd's Profile Luarddd Flag Redhill 30 Apr 22 10.28pm Send a Private Message to Luarddd Add Luarddd as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

Funny game today. Despite being poor in the first half it looked from the away end like we still had the chances to go in level at half time.

Also both Eze and Zaha scored great goals despite not being particularly effective.

The last few games and today in particular have IMO exposed why Olise was a bargain (8£mil ?) and not three times what we paid. His right foot isn't just weak it's non-existent and might stop his progress.

Class from James McArthur turning his first half performance into the best player on the pitch in the second half.

Yh it’s not like Olise only had an 8 mil release clause. Also not like he got a class assist from a cross with his right foot against Burnley. Might stop his progress… crazy

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 30 Apr 22 10.39pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Originally posted by Luarddd

Yh it’s not like Olise only had an 8 mil release clause. Also not like he got a class assist from a cross with his right foot against Burnley. Might stop his progress… crazy

Not crazy at all. First rule of defending is to show the player onto his weaker foot.
Got himself into a mess a couple of times today and against Leeds Monday.

As I said a still a bargain.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Living In Hope's Profile Living In Hope Flag Petersfield 30 Apr 22 11.18pm Send a Private Message to Living In Hope Add Living In Hope as a friend

I only get to a few games each season, but I've seen the last two (Leeds and Southampton). Our centre-back combination is top class - I think we'll have a real problem with our style of play if either of them has a lengthy absence. Clyne has had 2 cracking games and is surely 1st choice right back, even though Wardy played well v Leeds (not so today though). Eze has been struggling, no idea how some have him as MOTM today, but let's hope today's goal helps restore his confidence and we start to see once again the excellent player he is. I can't understand the criticism of Wilf from some - still our best player, it's just that we are no longer totally reliant on him. I am also sick and tired of prats like Philips saying he dives. You can criticise Gallagher and Ayew for going down too easily, not Wilf, who is constantly fouled. Mateta, bless him and his huge effort, but not a PL quality player in my view. I know I'll wind up people in saying it, but the difference when Tekkers came on v Leeds was huge. His technical ability was so far above Mateta. Appreciate Mateta gets points for movement and effort, but I can't see him as our future. Anyway, fantastic day to see Palace win late, and PV takes huge credit for Palace trying to win away rather than not lose.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sprites's Profile sprites Flag Auckland 30 Apr 22 11.57pm Send a Private Message to sprites Add sprites as a friend

Originally posted by Living In Hope

I only get to a few games each season, but I've seen the last two (Leeds and Southampton). Our centre-back combination is top class - I think we'll have a real problem with our style of play if either of them has a lengthy absence. Clyne has had 2 cracking games and is surely 1st choice right back, even though Wardy played well v Leeds (not so today though). Eze has been struggling, no idea how some have him as MOTM today, but let's hope today's goal helps restore his confidence and we start to see once again the excellent player he is. I can't understand the criticism of Wilf from some - still our best player, it's just that we are no longer totally reliant on him. I am also sick and tired of prats like Philips saying he dives. You can criticise Gallagher and Ayew for going down too easily, not Wilf, who is constantly fouled. Mateta, bless him and his huge effort, but not a PL quality player in my view. I know I'll wind up people in saying it, but the difference when Tekkers came on v Leeds was huge. His technical ability was so far above Mateta. Appreciate Mateta gets points for movement and effort, but I can't see him as our future. Anyway, fantastic day to see Palace win late, and PV takes huge credit for Palace trying to win away rather than not lose.

100%. Mateta at his absolute best is marginally better than Tekkers and Eduoard at their worst. He’s not the answer. New striker top priority.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CT Charlie's Profile CT Charlie Flag 01 May 22 12.10am Send a Private Message to CT Charlie Add CT Charlie as a friend

Originally posted by Croydon-Trucker

The mind boggles doesnt it , VAR was brought in to catch these things that the blind ref and the lines and the 4th offical miss but it seems to make it more controversial and all depends on the badge on the shirt cough (Liverpool ) , we must have done something to upset the powers that be , we just dont seem to get a fair game anymore .

VAR can review without a stoppage of play, right? Based on what I saw, the defender did reach in and step on Gallagher's "toe" but it was hard to tell if he caught much of the boot or really just a sliver where the upper meets the sole plate. In my view, there wasn't enough to overturn the no-call.

It doesn't help Gallagher that he goes down a little too quickly. If I were in his boots, I'd be a bit more judicious about going to ground – it's a boy who cried wolf thing, similar to that of the old Wilf. Going down easily/animatedly ends up hurting them when they actually get fouled.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View gloryhunter's Profile gloryhunter Flag EDINBURGH 01 May 22 1.12am Send a Private Message to gloryhunter Add gloryhunter as a friend

Originally posted by Living In Hope

I only get to a few games each season, but I've seen the last two (Leeds and Southampton). Our centre-back combination is top class - I think we'll have a real problem with our style of play if either of them has a lengthy absence. Clyne has had 2 cracking games and is surely 1st choice right back, even though Wardy played well v Leeds (not so today though). Eze has been struggling, no idea how some have him as MOTM today, but let's hope today's goal helps restore his confidence and we start to see once again the excellent player he is. I can't understand the criticism of Wilf from some - still our best player, it's just that we are no longer totally reliant on him. I am also sick and tired of prats like Philips saying he dives. You can criticise Gallagher and Ayew for going down too easily, not Wilf, who is constantly fouled. Mateta, bless him and his huge effort, but not a PL quality player in my view. I know I'll wind up people in saying it, but the difference when Tekkers came on v Leeds was huge. His technical ability was so far above Mateta. Appreciate Mateta gets points for movement and effort, but I can't see him as our future. Anyway, fantastic day to see Palace win late, and PV takes huge credit for Palace trying to win away rather than not lose.


Good finish from Eze which will be good for his confidence and rehab progress but a special mention for Clyne chasing a lost cause and supplying a great cross. No spring chicken but still showing class.

 


gloryhunter (eagle in exile)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View pssguy's Profile pssguy Flag 01 May 22 4.52am Send a Private Message to pssguy Add pssguy as a friend

Originally posted by gloryhunter


Good finish from Eze which will be good for his confidence and rehab progress but a special mention for Clyne chasing a lost cause and supplying a great cross. No spring chicken but still showing class.

It was no lost cause but a well judged pass from Ayew. And Mateta started the move FYI

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 01 May 22 7.13am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

Not crazy at all. First rule of defending is to show the player onto his weaker foot.
Got himself into a mess a couple of times today and against Leeds Monday.

As I said a still a bargain.

Doesn’t seem to have stopped Mahrez being a very good player

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 01 May 22 7.16am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by CT Charlie

VAR can review without a stoppage of play, right? Based on what I saw, the defender did reach in and step on Gallagher's "toe" but it was hard to tell if he caught much of the boot or really just a sliver where the upper meets the sole plate. In my view, there wasn't enough to overturn the no-call.

It doesn't help Gallagher that he goes down a little too quickly. If I were in his boots, I'd be a bit more judicious about going to ground – it's a boy who cried wolf thing, similar to that of the old Wilf. Going down easily/animatedly ends up hurting them when they actually get fouled.

100% Salah would have got that, he goes to ground very easily. As CT said it depends on what badge you have on your shirt, always has always will

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 01 May 22 7.24am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

100% Salah would have got that, he goes to ground very easily. As CT said it depends on what badge you have on your shirt, always has always will

Yup. Even the pundits buy into it. If Salah, Mane etc etc get a soft penalty, it's: "there was definitely contact; he had every right to go down"

When the likes of us are denied a spot-kick, it's: "there was barely any contact; he goes down far too easily"

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Davepalace707's Profile Davepalace707 Flag Northumberland 01 May 22 8.21am Send a Private Message to Davepalace707 Add Davepalace707 as a friend

Originally posted by YT

Yup. Even the pundits buy into it. If Salah, Mane etc etc get a soft penalty, it's: "there was definitely contact; he had every right to go down"

When the likes of us are denied a spot-kick, it's: "there was barely any contact; he goes down far too easily"

Liverpool would have been six goals up by then mind

 


“You miss 100 per cent of the shots you don’t take”

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 01 May 22 8.40am Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by YT

Yup. Even the pundits buy into it. If Salah, Mane etc etc get a soft penalty, it's: "there was definitely contact; he had every right to go down"

When the likes of us are denied a spot-kick, it's: "there was barely any contact; he goes down far too easily"

Absolutely right. The pundit yesterday dismissed it without giving it much thought other than the “he goes down too easily” and “not all contact is a penalty” . It was a foul, not a bad one, but a foul none the less, his foot got in front of Gallagher’s foot, missed the ball and there was contact. Salah would definitely have got that.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 11 of 15 < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Southampton v Crystal Palace match thread