You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > New blue passports
July 5 2022 12.47am

New blue passports

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

 

View nickyf's Profile nickyf 21 May 22 10.18am Send a Private Message to nickyf Add nickyf as a friend

What do you think?

A question are they suppose to send your old one back to you when you renew?
My wife never received hers

Notice they don't add the the remaining time left on to your new passport either.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 21 May 22 10.28am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

You can request the old one back - they send it in a different envelope so you might still receive it in a few days - it will come back with one of the corners cut off the rear cover to signify that it has expired or been superseded -

I have renewed loads of passports for my family (especially when living overseas) & I have never known them to add unexpired time to the new issued one.

Originally posted by nickyf

What do you think?

A question are they suppose to send your old one back to you when you renew?
My wife never received hers

Notice they don't add the the remaining time left on to your new passport either.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View nickyf's Profile nickyf 21 May 22 10.37am Send a Private Message to nickyf Add nickyf as a friend

wife requested old one back but still not received it, had her new one 4 weeks ago, she is ringing them up now to find out where it is?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 21 May 22 10.38am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Okay been through all this when I applied for a visa to Russia.

1. Never throw away your old passport many countries will ask for details of previous ones when you apply for a visa.

2. If you did throw them away e.g. me yui can apply to the Passport Office under Data Protection and they will give you a letter with basic details of your old ones e.g. date issued / number etc.

3. Unexpired time on your old passport. Passports are for 10 years we got into a bad habit of adding this extra bit to your new passport the EU quite rightly in my view took exception to this.

The passport office no longer does this my neighbour was turned away from check in because even though he had nearly a year until expiry if you ignored the left over from his previous one he didn't have enough.

Much confusion so simply to just issue a 10 year one period.

4. I suggest you take a photo of your passport details on your mobile so if you do lose it at least you can tell the embassy the details to help them help you. Same goes for travel insurance details visas basically any piece of paper if you lose will be grief.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Badger11 (21 May 2022 10.41am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 21 May 22 10.41am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

4 weeks is a long time to wait - usually the old one arrives the next day or two later (perhaps a week later at most) so for sure she is right to phone up & ask -

Most people want to keep there old passport as a kind of keepsake for memories but its especially important if there is an unexpired visa in the old one.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View nickyf's Profile nickyf 21 May 22 10.49am Send a Private Message to nickyf Add nickyf as a friend

Thanks badger some good tips unfortunately wife didn't take photo of old passport before sending off, she is on phone now if she don't get an answer soon her new one will of expired 😂

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace_in_frogland's Profile palace_in_frogland Flag In a broken dream 21 May 22 11.38am Send a Private Message to palace_in_frogland Add palace_in_frogland as a friend

If you do keep a photo of your passport on your phone, as Badger suggests, make sure your phone is password protected, otherwise if someone nicks your phone they’ve got all your passport details as well.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 21 May 22 12.50pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Dubai Eagle

You can request the old one back - they send it in a different envelope so you might still receive it in a few days - it will come back with one of the corners cut off the rear cover to signify that it has expired or been superseded -

I have renewed loads of passports for my family (especially when living overseas) & I have never known them to add unexpired time to the new issued one.

They used to add up to 6 months, I had this done. Presumably not doing it now as many countries take the expiry date 10 years from the date of issue despite passport still being legally valid for the extra months.
You should get the old one back

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 21 May 22 12.54pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Okay been through all this when I applied for a visa to Russia.

1. Never throw away your old passport many countries will ask for details of previous ones when you apply for a visa.

2. If you did throw them away e.g. me yui can apply to the Passport Office under Data Protection and they will give you a letter with basic details of your old ones e.g. date issued / number etc.

3. Unexpired time on your old passport. Passports are for 10 years we got into a bad habit of adding this extra bit to your new passport the EU quite rightly in my view took exception to this.

The passport office no longer does this my neighbour was turned away from check in because even though he had nearly a year until expiry if you ignored the left over from his previous one he didn't have enough.

Much confusion so simply to just issue a 10 year one period.

4. I suggest you take a photo of your passport details on your mobile so if you do lose it at least you can tell the embassy the details to help them help you. Same goes for travel insurance details visas basically any piece of paper if you lose will be grief.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Badger11 (21 May 2022 10.41am)

Agree on all points except the part about countries rightly not accepting the extra time. Each individual government have the right to decide the length of validity of passports, some only issue for 5 years. But rich when we have been accepting EU ID cards many of which have no expiry date

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 21 May 22 12.55pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

Agree on all points except the part about countries rightly not accepting the extra time. Each individual government have the right to decide the length of validity of passports, some only issue for 5 years. But rich when we have been accepting EU ID cards many of which have no expiry date. Even those that had expired were accepted, if proven not to be forged or in hands of an imposter. Not U.K. Government being soft, it was EU regulations. quote]

Apologies seem to have double posted, with an extra bit added

Edited by Spiderman (21 May 2022 12.56pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eaglesdare's Profile eaglesdare Flag 21 May 22 2.12pm Send a Private Message to eaglesdare Add eaglesdare as a friend

I got a new British passport last year and they send me back my old one without asking but the cut one of the corners off

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 21 May 22 3.45pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

My wife and I applied for our new passports recently and asked for the old ones to be returned. With all the media stories about long delays we were pleasantly surprised with the high level of communication about their progress through the system.

The old ones came back in separate envelopes and arrived after we had received our new ones. It seems to depend which office was responsible for processing as to how efficiently they're dealt with.

Our only disappointment was the colour. Very dark, almost black, blue.

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > New blue passports