You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > when the big fish raid the smaller clubs
October 6 2022 3.08pm

when the big fish raid the smaller clubs

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 2 << First< 1 2

 

View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 26 May 22 11.00am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

That is Readings fault, he wanted to play on a bigger stage and Reading arenít going to be in the Premier anytime soon.

That's what ManUre, Citeh, L'pool have always said to us. He wanted big profile games in Europe.

Even Reading FC. They will have some little team, like Slough, that they rob players from.

The funniest comment was that hypocrite Alex Ferguson crying about big clubs tapping his players ( Real Madrid ). Whinging about the unfairness of it all.

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eritheagle's Profile eritheagle Flag Erith 26 May 22 11.04am Send a Private Message to eritheagle Add eritheagle as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

To be fair, I can't think of a single time we've been truly 'mugged off' barring the fees both Sakho and Benteke commanded vs their overall contribution.

I think that owes a lot to the business acumen of Parish and co. Made a bit of dosh on Zaha and a lot off AWB at the very least and have yet to pay over the odds for anyone really. I'm sure we paid a bit of money for an absolute flop Norwegian striker at one point but £1000's of pounds and hours of therapy have put that to the back, if not out of my mind

Jordan Mutch!
QPR told us we were buying a footballer from them!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 26 May 22 11.09am Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by JohnB

I don't see PV as being someone who will just cut and run or even let sentimentality play that much of a part in any of his decisions. He's always been very keen to downplay any historic connections, like us playing Spurs and it meaning more due to his Arsenal days, and has always been incredibly respectful and mindful of addressing everything as manager of CPFC, rather than Viera the ex-player.

I think he is enjoying it here and has the mindset and desire to stay here for a while before moving on. This is also his first season with us and there is no guarantee that it will be just as good next year.

I think the bigger risk is clubs coming in for our more saleable assets. The likes of Guehi, Olise, Anderson and Mitchell. If a club comes in with a silly offer then it will be something the club has to consider and manage carefully.

I'd love to see players like Olise, Guehi, Eze, Mitchell etc. all stay and grow at the club and take us to the next level. However, I am realistic enough to know that if off the back of a season where Olise showed glimpses of incredible potential and skill, if an offer for £60m came in for him when we had just bought him for £8m and it would allow us to bring in 4 more players to improve the team, we couldn't turn that down.

The big plus for me is that we seem to now have in place a structure and team that is capable of identifying and acquiring players with huge potential and the ability to improve the team. That team is also now complimented by a manager that is willing to embrace and utilise those players too.

We're creating an excellent model where we are replicating Leicester, buying unproven, young players with huge potential for low fees and them selling them on for huge numbers later on.

So let the 'bigger' clubs come in and offer us huge fees for our gems. If we sell one player for huge profit every year to then fund bringing in 3-4 new players with similar sell on potential and the ability to fund improvements to the club, then I am all for it. There will come a point where the sales have funded the club enough to have a team full of players that are at a level where they won't want to go anywhere and we don't need to sell.

good post.
although this formula comes with it a risk. Players who are 'at a level where they don't want to go anywhere' only happens if you've started to win and/or acheive things. (which includes getting to Europe). A couple of mid table finishes and your stars will move on.

It's incredible difficult to get to this status; there are 7-8 clubs fighting to get into those lower European places, and the Cups are REALLY difficult to actually win.

Saints did this - found rough diamonds, Sold them on, reinvested in youth/more rough diamonds, Sold them on etc, and never managed to get to the point where they could persuade their stars to stay, and they stopped finding those rough diamonds. Their bubble appears to have burst now.

We've have a Great window last summer, where pretty much all transfers worked better than we could have imagined.
Selling 1 and getting 3-4 in sounds great, but only if those 3-4 are the right players - and that can be difficult to sustain.

I wonder how much of our recent transfers success is down to us having to waiting for Roy to leave before committing - giving us a lot of time to find the right player.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 26 May 22 11.48am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

On the subject if winning domestic trophies, maybe with the ever increasing European Champions League + Europa competitions
(European Super League by another name) meaning more games for the top sides, perhaps they will loose interest in the domestic cups or be forced through injuries / suspensions / tiredness to field weaker sides

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 26 May 22 2.01pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by eritheagle

Jordan Mutch!
QPR told us we were buying a footballer from them!

It took me years to forget him so thanks EE!

Should've check his birth certificate before he came, someone might have seen his middle name was 'Cantdovery' - I just thought it was Scottish.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 27 May 22 11.15am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by JohnB

I don't see PV as being someone who will just cut and run or even let sentimentality play that much of a part in any of his decisions. He's always been very keen to downplay any historic connections, like us playing Spurs and it meaning more due to his Arsenal days, and has always been incredibly respectful and mindful of addressing everything as manager of CPFC, rather than Viera the ex-player.

I think he is enjoying it here and has the mindset and desire to stay here for a while before moving on. This is also his first season with us and there is no guarantee that it will be just as good next year.

I think the bigger risk is clubs coming in for our more saleable assets. The likes of Guehi, Olise, Anderson and Mitchell. If a club comes in with a silly offer then it will be something the club has to consider and manage carefully.

I'd love to see players like Olise, Guehi, Eze, Mitchell etc. all stay and grow at the club and take us to the next level. However, I am realistic enough to know that if off the back of a season where Olise showed glimpses of incredible potential and skill, if an offer for £60m came in for him when we had just bought him for £8m and it would allow us to bring in 4 more players to improve the team, we couldn't turn that down.

The big plus for me is that we seem to now have in place a structure and team that is capable of identifying and acquiring players with huge potential and the ability to improve the team. That team is also now complimented by a manager that is willing to embrace and utilise those players too.

We're creating an excellent model where we are replicating Leicester, buying unproven, young players with huge potential for low fees and them selling them on for huge numbers later on.

So let the 'bigger' clubs come in and offer us huge fees for our gems. If we sell one player for huge profit every year to then fund bringing in 3-4 new players with similar sell on potential and the ability to fund improvements to the club, then I am all for it. There will come a point where the sales have funded the club enough to have a team full of players that are at a level where they won't want to go anywhere and we don't need to sell.

I also think Pat will want to stay here for a while. For a couple of reasons.

He's never really had a long stint anywhere. Some good starts, but tails off. He needs to prove, demonstrably that he can move a club forward. he's got a great chance to do that with us.

He's also young as manager. I've got no doubt he has lofty ambitions, that would include manging Arsenal, winning leagues, maybe even the French national job. He's got 20 years to accomplish those things, and he needs to keep learning his trade to ensure he puts himself in the best position to achieve those ambitions.


RE big offers coming in for players. As much as I wouldn't want any to go, apart from the odd big transfer, we very rarely generate any income from player sales.

In fact we are terrible at it, over the last 5 seasons or so every regular team in the PL has generated more transfer income than us. And quite a few teams not consistently in the prem, have done too (Norwich, Bournemouth ect. When ranked, we come in 24th place. Essentially meaning we make good transfer revenue for a championship club.

As a result, to balance to books, our expenditure isn't crazy, 19th position for that, putting us 12th overall for net spend.

So commercially we're doing ok. But as our owner doesn't have unlimited funds, we are going to need to sell big to buy big.

When you think about it, in the last 3 seasons we've made 2 sales. Sorloth for £18m and AWB for £50m. Simplifying things, but with that c£70m we've brought in:

Eze £16m
Guehi £21m
Anderson £16m
Edouard £15m

then add, Olise 8.5, JPM £9m, Hughes £6m, Plange £1m. That's a new team for net £24m happy days

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View pompeyeagle's Profile pompeyeagle Flag Relocated to Shropshire 28 May 22 10.48pm Send a Private Message to pompeyeagle Add pompeyeagle as a friend

Rumours of clubs coming in for Olise, Eze and Guehi certainly concern me but itís the same for any bottom half club. If players show they can do a good job at this level then of course the bigger teams will take an interest, and as long as we profit from it Iíve got no problem with that. I donít think weíre in any danger of losing Vieira any time soon. It was a good season for us but we finished 12th with 48 points so hardly setting the world on fire. If we finished 7th or 8th next season then that might change.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HeathMan's Profile HeathMan Flag Purley 28 May 22 11.50pm Send a Private Message to HeathMan Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add HeathMan as a friend

Rumours sell newspapers and provide clickbait. Assume PV, SP and DF will have told the three of them - and other Palace players performing well to look back at the end of next season to see how far they have come with CPFC.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 29 May 22 9.14am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

That is Readings fault, he wanted to play on a bigger stage and Reading arenít going to be in the Premier anytime soon.

Good. Cocky little pr1cks with a new stadium using it as some sort of glory. Remind you of anyone?

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 2 << First< 1 2

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > when the big fish raid the smaller clubs