You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Southgate Sacked ?
June 29 2022 4.52pm

Southgate Sacked ?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

 

View Romford-Eagle's Profile Romford-Eagle Flag Romford 05 Jun 22 12.40am Send a Private Message to Romford-Eagle Add Romford-Eagle as a friend

Could see your eyes lit up then.

Anyone else sit through that dross in Hungary, first defeat to them in 60 years, no urgency from players earning mega bucks each week, you must question Southgate's tactical prowess, he reminds me so much of a younger Roy, yarn.

He picks players who should be nowhere near an England team, Justin who? and sorry, but that bloke from Leeds, Phillips, way out of his depth.

I think we would be Euro Champions if negative Southgate, was not manager, he made Italy look good.

And at the end of the match, rather that criticise his team selection and tactics, all he did was talk about booing taking the knee.

I would sack him in morning, he is far to WOKE.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 05 Jun 22 1.34am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Romford-Eagle

Could see your eyes lit up then.

Anyone else sit through that dross in Hungary, first defeat to them in 60 years, no urgency from players earning mega bucks each week, you must question Southgate's tactical prowess, he reminds me so much of a younger Roy, yarn.

He picks players who should be nowhere near an England team, Justin who? and sorry, but that bloke from Leeds, Phillips, way out of his depth.

I think we would be Euro Champions if negative Southgate, was not manager, he made Italy look good.

And at the end of the match, rather that criticise his team selection and tactics, all he did was talk about booing taking the knee.

I would sack him in morning, he is far to WOKE.

I do understand your post and I do broadly agree.

This isn't a counter to what you've stated, just my opinion on a few things:

1. This post may be best placed on 'Football Talk'. I wouldn't bet against the mods moving it at some point.

2. I think Southgate has done a very good job, or did do, for a period, I'll explain my stance:

- I think he came into the England set-up with a relaxed attitude which has helped the players. The shirt has certainly, to a degree, looked less burdensome the last few years.

- He has blooded a lot of new/younger players... a lot!

- Furthermore, he hasn't rigidly stuck to certain players who despite numerous failings still maintained their place in the squad, as other managers have done.

- He has a very approachable and non-prima donna quality to him, something the England managerial role has seriously lacked in the past few decades.

- He has implemented a style of play that seems far less rigid than certainly I had grown accustom to, although admittedly that did come roaring back against the Magyars.

However, he has been in the role a while... and:

- He still seems to be adopting the same approach, which was effective, exciting and refreshing at first however cannot continue otherwise you'll run out of player to introduce to the national set up and you'll never know your 'best team'. He had his minor revolution which was great but now 'fans' want results.

- We do have a lot of talented players eligible for England atm. The old argument and perspective that the players may be of a higher quality than the manager and therefore results are disappointing is certainly possible.

- Perhaps he is 'too nice'? Perhaps he is just yet another FA 'yes man'? Perhaps he is a 'one trick pony' and what he did was impressive however there's not much beyond that? Perhaps he does not command the respect of the players that may be necessary of a manager? Just my impression of course so could be totally wrong but I think there's substance to that notion.

I think Southgate did fantastically for a while however I think he has enough in the bank to warrant a least a notable and awful fall from grace before a 'sacking'. Playin Justin ahead of Mitchell may warrant that however. If he was sacked tomorrow (now today) perhaps we could bring in Ragnick on an interim basis and see how deep any rot runs for perspective?

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 05 Jun 22 1.53am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I do understand your post and I do broadly agree.

This isn't a counter to what you've stated, just my opinion on a few things:

1. This post may be best placed on 'Football Talk'. I wouldn't bet against the mods moving it at some point.

2. I think Southgate has done a very good job, or did do, for a period, I'll explain my stance:

- I think he came into the England set-up with a relaxed attitude which has helped the players. The shirt has certainly, to a degree, looked less burdensome the last few years.

- He has blooded a lot of new/younger players... a lot!

- Furthermore, he hasn't rigidly stuck to certain players who despite numerous failings still maintained their place in the squad, as other managers have done.

- He has a very approachable and non-prima donna quality to him, something the England managerial role has seriously lacked in the past few decades.

- He has implemented a style of play that seems far less rigid than certainly I had grown accustom to, although admittedly that did come roaring back against the Magyars.

However, he has been in the role a while... and:

- He still seems to be adopting the same approach, which was effective, exciting and refreshing at first however cannot continue otherwise you'll run out of player to introduce to the national set up and you'll never know your 'best team'. He had his minor revolution which was great but now 'fans' want results.

- We do have a lot of talented players eligible for England atm. The old argument and perspective that the players may be of a higher quality than the manager and therefore results are disappointing is certainly possible.

- Perhaps he is 'too nice'? Perhaps he is just yet another FA 'yes man'? Perhaps he is a 'one trick pony' and what he did was impressive however there's not much beyond that? Perhaps he does not command the respect of the players that may be necessary of a manager? Just my impression of course so could be totally wrong but I think there's substance to that notion.

I think Southgate did fantastically for a while however I think he has enough in the bank to warrant a least a notable and awful fall from grace before a 'sacking'. Playin Justin ahead of Mitchell may warrant that however. If he was sacked tomorrow (now today) perhaps we could bring in Ragnick on an interim basis and see how deep any rot runs for perspective?

A nuanced and fair assessment. I'm in agreement that he certainly has enough in the bank to see us through to the World Cup and it'd be very knee jerk to ditch him now. It's not a performance to remember, but it's also one that will be relatively quickly forgotten as the World Cup approaches. May as well put out a more tried and tested team for the other Nations League games and just see what comes of it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag 05 Jun 22 4.18am Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by Romford-Eagle

Could see your eyes lit up then.

Anyone else sit through that dross in Hungary, first defeat to them in 60 years, no urgency from players earning mega bucks each week, you must question Southgate's tactical prowess, he reminds me so much of a younger Roy, yarn.

He picks players who should be nowhere near an England team, Justin who? and sorry, but that bloke from Leeds, Phillips, way out of his depth.

I think we would be Euro Champions if negative Southgate, was not manager, he made Italy look good.

And at the end of the match, rather that criticise his team selection and tactics, all he did was talk about booing taking the knee.

I would sack him in morning, he is far to WOKE.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag 05 Jun 22 4.19am Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by Romford-Eagle

Could see your eyes lit up then.

Anyone else sit through that dross in Hungary, first defeat to them in 60 years, no urgency from players earning mega bucks each week, you must question Southgate's tactical prowess, he reminds me so much of a younger Roy, yarn.

He picks players who should be nowhere near an England team, Justin who? and sorry, but that bloke from Leeds, Phillips, way out of his depth.

I think we would be Euro Champions if negative Southgate, was not manager, he made Italy look good.

And at the end of the match, rather that criticise his team selection and tactics, all he did was talk about booing taking the knee.

I would sack him in morning, he is far to WOKE.


Far too woke?
So he suits the FA perfectly.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 05 Jun 22 8.22am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

I am not a fan of his style of play sometimes it is too over complicated (just cross the bloody ball) that said Southgate is our most successful manager since Alf.

Back to back semi final and final after the woeful Hodgson (sorry Roy I do like you).

His blooding of young players is to be encouraged, sure plenty may not step up but how else are you going to learn.

When I think of the many wasted years and multiple England managers who tried to make the Lampard / Gerrard partnership work when it was obvious to the rest of us it didn't.

After this world cup I think he can step aside knowing that he has built a good foundation for the next man.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 05 Jun 22 8.45am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

He is a good player manager but a useless coach!
Get some dynamism in the coaching together with some tactical awareness and we might just win something.
However, this nations cup is a waste of everyone time anyway.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 05 Jun 22 9.05am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

He is a good player manager but a useless coach!
Get some dynamism in the coaching together with some tactical awareness and we might just win something.
However, this nations cup is a waste of everyone time anyway.

What would you suggest as an alternative? Go back to playing meaningless friendlies like wot happened before?

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 05 Jun 22 9.09am Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Top teams lose now and again, recently , France, Belgium. The Germans, Italians struggle to be consistent. Player mixes conditions vary by wide margins.
Yesterday was a flat performance from a made up side, thrown in at the end of another long season of home football, against a useful opponent, dead keen to beat us in their back yard..
This side contained some new caps, one or two back from injury, it struggled that can not be denied . An experiment that failed. But reason to drop the manager that has taken us from something of a joke, to a very real competitor for the top honours is laughable.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Online Flag Horsham 05 Jun 22 9.20am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by YT

What would you suggest as an alternative? Go back to playing meaningless friendlies like wot happened before?

I agree the friendlies were a waste of time. IMO the players should now be on a break and these games are nothing but money spinners for the powers that be.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bearcage's Profile Bearcage Flag Welling 05 Jun 22 9.24am Send a Private Message to Bearcage Add Bearcage as a friend

Seriously?
England have only once won anything (and that was over 1/2 a century ago), Southgate as manager has consistently got us closer than anyone since Ramsey.
A poor performance yesterday, yes (all teams have them) but itís the first round of a the third tier international competition at the end of a very long season, with Southgate also looking forwards to the word cup for players that might make the squad then.
I am confident we will turn around the nations league and qualify, if not then look at if changes need to be made, but not after one round.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The groover's Profile The groover Flag Danbury 05 Jun 22 9.29am Send a Private Message to The groover Add The groover as a friend

Lacklustre performance from a team still on the beach in a meaningless compo created to make more money. Nearly as bad as friendlies.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Southgate Sacked ?