You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Transfer Updates
June 4 2023 10.10pm

Transfer Updates

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 165 of 205 < 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 >

 

View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 19 Jan 23 11.47am Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Sometime wonder what Freedman does, how can Leeds find talent like Willie Gnonto for 4M and we can't?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 19 Jan 23 12.22pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

Sometime wonder what Freedman does, how can Leeds find talent like Willie Gnonto for 4M and we can't?


Fans of other clubs might say "how can Palace find talent like Olise for £8m and we can't"

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View nettletoneagle's Profile nettletoneagle Flag market rasen 19 Jan 23 12.24pm Send a Private Message to nettletoneagle Add nettletoneagle as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

Sometime wonder what Freedman does, how can Leeds find talent like Willie Gnonto for 4M and we can't?

I was at Villa Park on Friday night and Gnonto was crap. Poor man's Bolassie

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View nead1's Profile nead1 Flag 19 Jan 23 12.43pm Send a Private Message to nead1 Add nead1 as a friend

Re the question of what Freedman does, I almost wondered if the question was asked in jest!
He is probably the most influential person on the football side at the club - scouting, transfers, contracts and the academy all come under his wing. Equally, I would say he has done a really good job given the hand he has been dealt. We all know about the incomings of summer 21 but I suspect summer 22 was better than has been appreciated. I, for one, was really positively surprised and pleased by Richards last night - another 22 year old - and Doucoure has been really good as well. Add to that strength amongst the goalkeepers and the potential of Ebiowe - 4 good incomings even though supporters, and the club, recognised the need for more in certain areas especially midfield if it had been possible.
It also seems to me as if there are a number of academy players who have the potential to break through relatively soon - Phillips, Rak Sakyi, Balmer, O'Brien, Ozoh and the two young goalkeepers are names that spring to mind.
Much of the above has Freedman's hands all over it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dg1937's Profile dg1937 Flag 19 Jan 23 1.28pm Send a Private Message to dg1937 Add dg1937 as a friend

In his programme notes last night Steve Parish wrote about transfer activity ĎIím sure you will see one or two things happen before the end of the window.í Make of that what you will.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 19 Jan 23 1.34pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by nead1

Re the question of what Freedman does, I almost wondered if the question was asked in jest!
He is probably the most influential person on the football side at the club - scouting, transfers, contracts and the academy all come under his wing. Equally, I would say he has done a really good job given the hand he has been dealt. We all know about the incomings of summer 21 but I suspect summer 22 was better than has been appreciated. I, for one, was really positively surprised and pleased by Richards last night - another 22 year old - and Doucoure has been really good as well. Add to that strength amongst the goalkeepers and the potential of Ebiowe - 4 good incomings even though supporters, and the club, recognised the need for more in certain areas especially midfield if it had been possible.
It also seems to me as if there are a number of academy players who have the potential to break through relatively soon - Phillips, Rak Sakyi, Balmer, O'Brien, Ozoh and the two young goalkeepers are names that spring to mind.
Much of the above has Freedman's hands all over it.

All great, but no left back cover, right back or central midfielder when we all know itís where we need strengthening. From what I have seen Iím not convinced Plange, Ebiowei and Rak Sakyi will ever be PL starters but we live in hope that they progress during their loans. Iíve kind of given up on Ferguson (injuries) and Banks as I would have thought he would have been pulling up trees by now although he has had a few injuries himself.

Ultimately I suppose he is hamstrung by a lack of funds so I suppose the only criticism can be, did we spend the money on the right positions.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 19 Jan 23 1.36pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by dg1937

In his programme notes last night Steve Parish wrote about transfer activity ĎIím sure you will see one or two things happen before the end of the window.í Make of that what you will.

Ah!

Thanks dg, I had not seen this.

Hardly a commitment however I can raise my 'hope-o-meter' to something above 0!

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View VinceHilaire's Profile VinceHilaire Flag London 19 Jan 23 2.34pm Send a Private Message to VinceHilaire Add VinceHilaire as a friend

Interesting to read Mateta could be on the move to Turkey. A couple of stories on this - so make of that what you willÖ.

Edited by VinceHilaire (19 Jan 2023 2.35pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 19 Jan 23 2.56pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

All great, but no left back cover, right back or central midfielder when we all know itís where we need strengthening. From what I have seen Iím not convinced Plange, Ebiowei and Rak Sakyi will ever be PL starters but we live in hope that they progress during their loans. Iíve kind of given up on Ferguson (injuries) and Banks as I would have thought he would have been pulling up trees by now although he has had a few injuries himself.

Ultimately I suppose he is hamstrung by a lack of funds so I suppose the only criticism can be, did we spend the money on the right positions.


I think you're being unfair to DF.

When Hodgson left, we basically needed a new team. Centre Back was the most pressing need and we got Andersen and Guehi. I wouldn't want to argue against those purchases. Likewise, although he had unfortunate injuries, Richards may well prove to be a bargain if last night is anything to go by and if he can fit in at RB that would be a bonus.

Doucoure was an essential purchase - you only have to look at the rest of our midfield options to realize that - and let's face it, Olise was a steal.

If there are to be question marks they will be over Edouard and Mateta. However, strikers fit for the PL are notoriously expensive to buy. I still think Edouard can do a job for us given time. He did ok before the World Cup break and hopefully once he's fully match fit after injury niggles etc., and if given a run in the side he might perform ok.

As for Mateta, his confidence seems shot and he may be better off elsewhere providing we can get a replacement.

Overall, I think the club spent the Textor money pretty well. There just wasn't enough of it to deal with the remaining weaknesses in the squad.

Edited by doombear (19 Jan 2023 2.56pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 19 Jan 23 4.25pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Just read Galatasaray have held talks with Palace about taking Mateta. Please god let that be true.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eritheagle's Profile eritheagle Flag Erith 19 Jan 23 4.51pm Send a Private Message to eritheagle Add eritheagle as a friend

Originally posted by nettletoneagle

I was at Villa Park on Friday night and Gnonto was crap. Poor man's Bolassie

OMG! I though he was average too. But Gary Neville went on about him for the whole 90 mins saying things like "it was best performance by a teenager in years"! It was so embarrassing at times. You would've thought Leeds won and Gnonto got 4 goals!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 19 Jan 23 5.02pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by eritheagle

OMG! I though he was average too. But Gary Neville went on about him for the whole 90 mins saying things like "it was best performance by a teenager in years"! It was so embarrassing at times. You would've thought Leeds won and Gnonto got 4 goals!

Is that the same Gary Neville that lasted about 5 minutes as Valencia manager

 


Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 165 of 205 < 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Transfer Updates