You are here: Home > Message Board > Nostalgia Talk > Happy 80th birthday, Jacko!
February 25 2024 9.33am

Happy 80th birthday, Jacko!

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

 

View Uphill's Profile Uphill Flag Bedford 19 Sep 22 3.17pm Send a Private Message to Uphill Add Uphill as a friend

In the age of heavy leather balls, atrocious muddy goalmouths and centre forwards barging in with impunity I had nothing but admiration for his bravery.

As a fan who goes back to the days of Vic Rouse I can confidently
state that John Jackson was our best keeper. Even when he left for Leyton Orient he was still working wonders.

God bless him.

 


Man and boy Palace since my first game in 1948 sitting on my dad's shoulders

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Online Flag Midhurst 19 Sep 22 3.39pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Originally posted by pssguy

Bill Glazier was one sold for a world record fee for a goalkeeper

By chance the other day, while I was looking through some old personal stuff at home, I uncovered, on a small sheet of paper, Bill Glazier's autograph.

He came to say a few words at a youth club in Wallington or Carshalton I think it was, although I can't remember exactly, and I got him to sign his name on that scrap of paper.

Bill's autograph has now been inserted in my old boyhood autograph book alongside the signature of Vera Lynn. Don't ask. So, there you have it. Another pointless and completely meaningless POG post.

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 19 Sep 22 8.10pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

By chance the other day, while I was looking through some old personal stuff at home, I uncovered, on a small sheet of paper, Bill Glazier's autograph.

He came to say a few words at a youth club in Wallington or Carshalton I think it was, although I can't remember exactly, and I got him to sign his name on that scrap of paper.

Bill's autograph has now been inserted in my old boyhood autograph book alongside the signature of Vera Lynn. Don't ask. So, there you have it. Another pointless and completely meaningless POG post.

Keep 'em coming

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cROYdonrogers's Profile cROYdonrogers Flag Leamington Spa 20 Sep 22 7.03am Send a Private Message to cROYdonrogers Add cROYdonrogers as a friend

Many good memories. The days when keepers caught the ball.
On the international front I believe he was behind Joe Corrigan, who himself barely got a look in.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 20 Sep 22 7.13am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by cROYdonrogers

Many good memories. The days when keepers caught the ball.
On the international front I believe he was behind Joe Corrigan, who himself barely got a look in.

This was within an extended period when English goalkeepers were regularly said to be "the best in the world". I once repeated this claim at school, upon which some specky kid who couldn't kick the dew off a football said "actually Lev Yashin is better than any English goalie".

I asked how many times he'd seen Yashin play. He replied that he hadn't.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglehamster's Profile Eaglehamster Online Flag Storrington 20 Sep 22 7.36am Send a Private Message to Eaglehamster Add Eaglehamster as a friend

JJ was a great keeper no question. I can't remember much about Bill Glazier except an impression he was damn good too. So I can't say who's the better. Back in those times we had a succession of great keepers.

They did seem better then catching crosses and shots instead of punching them away. Perhaps the modern ball moves about more in the air.

 


I have now sufficient funds to last me the rest of my life. Provided I don't buy anything.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 20 Sep 22 8.01am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by cROYdonrogers

Many good memories. The days when keepers caught the ball.
On the international front I believe he was behind Joe Corrigan, who himself barely got a look in.

He was unfortunate in that apart from Gordon Banks he had Peter Bonetti, Gordon West and Alex Stepney all playing for more glamourous clubs to contend with before the rise of Shilton and Clemence.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 20 Sep 22 8.14am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Earliest I can remember is John Burridge....doing his cartwheels.

Some rich history here.

Edited by Stirlingsays (20 Sep 2022 8.15am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 20 Sep 22 9.00am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


Around the time Jacko left we had a bit of a conveyor belt going to Orient - Mark Lazarus, Derek Possee, Gerry Queen, David Payne, John Sewell, Phil Hoadley, Bill Roffey and probably some others went there.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Behind Enemy Lines's Profile Behind Enemy Lines Flag Sussex 20 Sep 22 11.34am Send a Private Message to Behind Enemy Lines Add Behind Enemy Lines as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Around the time Jacko left we had a bit of a conveyor belt going to Orient - Mark Lazarus, Derek Possee, Gerry Queen, David Payne, John Sewell, Phil Hoadley, Bill Roffey and probably some others went there.

Remember us playing at Orient when Jacko was in goal for them. I think we won two-nil and probably secured promotion. I think he winked at the crowd when he conceded one of the goals.
But my best memory was a friendly (?) against Leicester when he pulled off a save to keep out a ‘Pele’ header into the bottom corner. I was only a youngster at the time but the memory is still with me.

 


hats off to palace, they were always gonna be louder, and hate to say it but they were impressive ALL bouncing and singing.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 20 Sep 22 12.07pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Behind Enemy Lines

Remember us playing at Orient when Jacko was in goal for them. I think we won two-nil and probably secured promotion. I think he winked at the crowd when he conceded one of the goals.
But my best memory was a friendly (?) against Leicester when he pulled off a save to keep out a ‘Pele’ header into the bottom corner. I was only a youngster at the time but the memory is still with me.

This sounds like the penultimate match of 1978/79, when we won 1-0 at Brisbane Road. I was there but (I'm ashamed to say) I can't remember whether Jacko was playing. Whereas the win was crucial to securing promotion, there was still the small matter of having to beat Burnley at Selhurst on the following Friday night!

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View GlazierJohn's Profile GlazierJohn Flag Carshalton 20 Sep 22 12.49pm Send a Private Message to GlazierJohn Add GlazierJohn as a friend

My top three. 1. John Jackson. 2. Nigel Martyn 3. Bill Glazier. We have had some excellent keepers over the years.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Nostalgia Talk > Happy 80th birthday, Jacko!