You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Supermarkets are bleak
December 6 2022 6.32pm

Supermarkets are bleak

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 02 Oct 22 8.05am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Sainsbury have stopped putting sell by dates on most of their veg as they claim it will cut down on wastage. What they don't tell you is that it's mainly Sainsbury's wastage and not the customer's

M&S have said they will do likewise and ask the customers to do the sniff test.

I am fine with that the only problem is that M&S often pack their fresh stuff in cellophane so how exactly am I supposed to sniff that?

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 02 Oct 22 9.36am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

You paint a lovely picture with your words -

Originally posted by Nicholas91

My wife insists on shopping at Lidl and Aldi occasionally where it was never really for me.

I actually don't mind it as much as I used to. For me it's very good for people watching, bit like a mix between a gulag and suicide watch. I also feel like I'm shopping on holiday, as I don't recognise any of the brand names, as though I am shopping somewhere like Moldova.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 02 Oct 22 9.47am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

My wife insists on shopping at Lidl and Aldi occasionally where it was never really for me.

I actually don't mind it as much as I used to. For me it's very good for people watching, bit like a mix between a gulag and suicide watch. I also feel like I'm shopping on holiday, as I don't recognise any of the brand names, as though I am shopping somewhere like Moldova.

I've never been in either but Poundland is still good for brand name products.
I have a pair of their reading glasses in every coat because I always forget I need them when I'm out.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 02 Oct 22 9.51am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

Im getting like that Teddy, a pair around my neck, a pair in the car, a pair in my laptop bag etc etc

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

I've never been in either but Poundland is still good for brand name products.
I have a pair of their reading glasses in every coat because I always forget I need them when I'm out.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 02 Oct 22 10.08am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Dubai Eagle

Im getting like that Teddy, a pair around my neck, a pair in the car, a pair in my laptop bag etc etc

Ain't it great? There's also the fact that peering at price tags as though there's going to be a quiz later makes me look like a real skinflint - particularly in Poundland.
When I lived in East London we had a pound shop which did great business until a 99p shop opened next door. Then a 97p shop opened next to them and proved the myth of customer loyalty.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Online Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 02 Oct 22 3.16pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Anyone else bring a fake baby just to get those spaces? Or is that just me?

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View monkey's Profile monkey Flag Sittingbourne,Kent/Made in Bromley 02 Oct 22 6.05pm Send a Private Message to monkey Add monkey as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Admittedly I haven't visited Morrison's in recent times but I have frequented Waitrose and Sainsbury's on a regular basis and have not seen rows of shelves bereft of products.

How the rich live

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View monkey's Profile monkey Flag Sittingbourne,Kent/Made in Bromley 02 Oct 22 6.10pm Send a Private Message to monkey Add monkey as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

My wife insists on shopping at Lidl and Aldi occasionally where it was never really for me.

I actually don't mind it as much as I used to. For me it's very good for people watching, bit like a mix between a gulag and suicide watch. I also feel like I'm shopping on holiday, as I don't recognise any of the brand names, as though I am shopping somewhere like Moldova.

Thatís actually quite a dangerous hobbie in our town

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tim Gypsy Hill '64's Profile Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Flag Stoke sub normal 03 Oct 22 1.20am Send a Private Message to Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Add Tim Gypsy Hill '64 as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Sainsbury have stopped putting sell by dates on most of their veg as they claim it will cut down on wastage. What they don't tell you is that it's mainly Sainsbury's wastage and not the customer's

I expect it will cut down on Sainsbury's wastage. As it would any store. The problem is twofold though. If they put a sell by date on an item, they know that customers don't like to buy anything less than two days to sell date, unless it has a 'reduced price' label. Therefore, it is not sold at profit, even though it is fine. If it doesn't sell on the 'reduced price' label, it becomes waste as it is no longer saleable. Remove the sell by label and customers will buy food which is not quite as fresh as before, although perfectly fine, thereby reducing wastage.

Also, and more related to 'use by date', they must also accomodate for the fact that the item sold may (almost certainly) not be stored in the ideal conditions. For example, mum goes shopping, puts food in the boot of car, heads for home, gets stuck in traffic, has to divert to pick up children from school because she is late, and all the while the temperature is 28C. This disregards all storage advice on the goods purchased, but the store where the goods are purchased will get bad reports anyway.

 


Systematically dragged down by the lawmakers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 03 Oct 22 6.42am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

Fruit & Veg- any shopping I do for these is based on what it looks like & feels like in the store (same with deli items etc, its all about what looks good on the day) which is why for me I have never gone down the internet shop / home delivery option,

Also most of the dates on other produce are labelled as "best before" rather than "use by" or "expiry" so if I am reasonably confident that they went from store to home / fridge in less than an hour (which is pretty much always) I feel comfortable being a bit relaxed about the dates, especially if its something that's being cooked rather than str8 out of the packet onto the plate-


Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

I expect it will cut down on Sainsbury's wastage. As it would any store. The problem is twofold though. If they put a sell by date on an item, they know that customers don't like to buy anything less than two days to sell date, unless it has a 'reduced price' label. Therefore, it is not sold at profit, even though it is fine. If it doesn't sell on the 'reduced price' label, it becomes waste as it is no longer saleable. Remove the sell by label and customers will buy food which is not quite as fresh as before, although perfectly fine, thereby reducing wastage.

Also, and more related to 'use by date', they must also accomodate for the fact that the item sold may (almost certainly) not be stored in the ideal conditions. For example, mum goes shopping, puts food in the boot of car, heads for home, gets stuck in traffic, has to divert to pick up children from school because she is late, and all the while the temperature is 28C. This disregards all storage advice on the goods purchased, but the store where the goods are purchased will get bad reports anyway.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Online Flag Horsham 03 Oct 22 10.54am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

My wife insists on shopping at Lidl and Aldi occasionally where it was never really for me.

I actually don't mind it as much as I used to. For me it's very good for people watching, bit like a mix between a gulag and suicide watch. I also feel like I'm shopping on holiday, as I don't recognise any of the brand names, as though I am shopping somewhere like Moldova.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Online Flag Horsham 03 Oct 22 10.58am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

M&S have said they will do likewise and ask the customers to do the sniff test.

I am fine with that the only problem is that M&S often pack their fresh stuff in cellophane so how exactly am I supposed to sniff that?

You will get arrested if you go around sniffing M&S merchandise

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Supermarkets are bleak