You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Ronnie Radford
November 27 2022 2.32pm

Ronnie Radford

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last >>

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View herefordeagle's Profile herefordeagle Flag Hereford 02 Nov 22 7.19pm Send a Private Message to herefordeagle Add herefordeagle as a friend

The goalscorer of the famous FA Cup goal for Hereford United against Newcastle has today passed away.
Being from Hereford the man means a great deal to the city. My Dad was at the game as he went to every game back then and everyone who was there says what a special occasion it was.
There are many unknown stories relating to the game. Firstly that Hereford had gone up to Newcastle and got a draw there in the first game to take it to a replay. Secondly the Newcastle striker Malcolm McDonald had been in the press leading up to the game boasting that he would score ten goals at Edgar Street in the replay which was the reason that he received so much grief from the crowd on the day. Thirdly that a Hereford player (Griffiths I believe) was involved in a first half challenge and landed awkwardly. He limped on throughout the rest of the game and the extra time only for it to be determined afterwards that he'd played most of the game with a broken leg. Also that Newcastle had taken the lead in the 82nd minute before the Radford goal then forced extra time. Hereford went on to face West Ham who were a side packed full of superstars at the time. Hereford held them to a draw at Edgar Street before losing the replay at Upton Park when thousands of Hereford fans were locked outside the ground and those who did get in were spread around in an attempt to quieten them. Hereford would get their revenge just 3 years later knocking West Ham out of the FA Cup.
The Radford goal was absolutely outstanding and rightfully players over and over for both the quality of the goal and the occasion that it happened in (part timers Hereford of the Southern League against the giants of Newcastle).
History has come full circle. The antics of Radford and co gained Hereford a place in the football league before crooked ownership forced them to no longer exist as a club. Hereford FC were born and had to start from scratch far down the pyramid and working their way up to National League North where they now play. Strangely, just two days after the death of Ronnie, Hereford have made it to the first round of the FA Cup and on Friday night on BBC2 face Portsmouth. I'm sure the occasion will end up being a huge tribute to Ronnie Radford and rightfully so, may be rest in peace and I hope that Hereford can create a new piece of giantkilling history for the new club to honour his memory. If you have made it this far thank you lol. I am Herefordian through and through and was once a season ticket holder then in 2009 after being assaulted by a steward for no reason and the club sweeping it under the carpet my second love (CPFC) became my first. I've had season tickets at Selhurst and travelled all over watching us play although money and work are limiting that somewhat at present. Hopefully a few of our fans can watch the game on TV on Friday night and cheer on the whites from the cider country.

 


"It's ok postman , he'll lick you to death" "That isn't really that comforting , I still end up dead !!"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Online Flag Horsham 02 Nov 22 7.45pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by herefordeagle

The goalscorer of the famous FA Cup goal for Hereford United against Newcastle has today passed away.
Being from Hereford the man means a great deal to the city. My Dad was at the game as he went to every game back then and everyone who was there says what a special occasion it was.
There are many unknown stories relating to the game. Firstly that Hereford had gone up to Newcastle and got a draw there in the first game to take it to a replay. Secondly the Newcastle striker Malcolm McDonald had been in the press leading up to the game boasting that he would score ten goals at Edgar Street in the replay which was the reason that he received so much grief from the crowd on the day. Thirdly that a Hereford player (Griffiths I believe) was involved in a first half challenge and landed awkwardly. He limped on throughout the rest of the game and the extra time only for it to be determined afterwards that he'd played most of the game with a broken leg. Also that Newcastle had taken the lead in the 82nd minute before the Radford goal then forced extra time. Hereford went on to face West Ham who were a side packed full of superstars at the time. Hereford held them to a draw at Edgar Street before losing the replay at Upton Park when thousands of Hereford fans were locked outside the ground and those who did get in were spread around in an attempt to quieten them. Hereford would get their revenge just 3 years later knocking West Ham out of the FA Cup.
The Radford goal was absolutely outstanding and rightfully players over and over for both the quality of the goal and the occasion that it happened in (part timers Hereford of the Southern League against the giants of Newcastle).
History has come full circle. The antics of Radford and co gained Hereford a place in the football league before crooked ownership forced them to no longer exist as a club. Hereford FC were born and had to start from scratch far down the pyramid and working their way up to National League North where they now play. Strangely, just two days after the death of Ronnie, Hereford have made it to the first round of the FA Cup and on Friday night on BBC2 face Portsmouth. I'm sure the occasion will end up being a huge tribute to Ronnie Radford and rightfully so, may be rest in peace and I hope that Hereford can create a new piece of giantkilling history for the new club to honour his memory. If you have made it this far thank you lol. I am Herefordian through and through and was once a season ticket holder then in 2009 after being assaulted by a steward for no reason and the club sweeping it under the carpet my second love (CPFC) became my first. I've had season tickets at Selhurst and travelled all over watching us play although money and work are limiting that somewhat at present. Hopefully a few of our fans can watch the game on TV on Friday night and cheer on the whites from the cider country.

Thanks for the informative post. I remember seeing highlights. Sorry to hear about your assault but, look on the bright side, Palace became your number 1 team.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 02 Nov 22 7.48pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


For anyone who saw it that genuinely was an unforgettable game.
Malcolm MacDonald was prone to that sort of comment. As an aside he's married to the ex-wife of Brian Johnson (the AC/DC singer not the cricket commentator).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View tartaneagle's Profile tartaneagle Flag sunny Sussex-by-the-Sea 02 Nov 22 8.23pm Send a Private Message to tartaneagle Add tartaneagle as a friend

A very good mate of mine was at Edgar Street in his Parka on that famous day, he originates from Weobley and remembers the Griffiths brothers playing cricket for the village.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 03 Nov 22 6.14am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

I normally have a memory like a sieve but my then three year old son had contracted meningitis and had been blue lighted to hospital. They provided a room for us to stay the night and I remember watching the match there and seeing his wonder goal

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglehamster's Profile Eaglehamster Flag Storrington 03 Nov 22 8.36am Send a Private Message to Eaglehamster Add Eaglehamster as a friend

That goal was IIRC goal of the year for the BBC. I'd edged John (Yogi) Hughes' goal, which IMHO was the better.

 


I have now sufficient funds to last me the rest of my life. Provided I don't buy anything.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Fatherken's Profile Fatherken Flag 03 Nov 22 10.53am Send a Private Message to Fatherken Add Fatherken as a friend

the pitch looked like the local farmer had just taken the cows off it .
The ball was leather , wet and heavy , ( not like the plastic things they play with now ) the boots were also leather and heavy and to hit it with the force and accuracy as he did was a sight to behold .
I wonder if a modern player could do that in those conditions .
Thanks for the memories of that goal
RIP Ronnie Radford

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 03 Nov 22 11.31am Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

That goal, the pitch, the crowd reaction and Ronnie Radford's celebration all summed up perfectly what the FA Cup used to be.

It's lost a lot of that now, sadly.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View herefordeagle's Profile herefordeagle Flag Hereford 03 Nov 22 6.35pm Send a Private Message to herefordeagle Add herefordeagle as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

I normally have a memory like a sieve but my then three year old son had contracted meningitis and had been blue lighted to hospital. They provided a room for us to stay the night and I remember watching the match there and seeing his wonder goal

You certainly won't forget that. I hope that your son is okay. My daughter also contracted meningitis when she was 15 months old. Thanks to the fast actions of my wife, the surgery doctor and then the hospital staff she survived just with no long lasting effects. Take care.

 


"It's ok postman , he'll lick you to death" "That isn't really that comforting , I still end up dead !!"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 03 Nov 22 7.28pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by mezzer

That goal, the pitch, the crowd reaction and Ronnie Radford's celebration all summed up perfectly what the FA Cup used to be.

It's lost a lot of that now, sadly.

Not for us if you look at our recent run

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 03 Nov 22 10.35pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

I had a soft spot for Hereford, purely because of that cup tie. Similarly for Colchester for their famous cup tie against Leeds a little bit earlier.

My soft spot for Hereford was severely tested when they briefly became a bogey team for the Eagles in trying to escape from the old Division 3 in the mid-70s. We drew 3 and lost 1, making Hereford one of those teams we've never beaten in a league game. I can't remember which of the two home games it was, but in one of them an ageing Terry Paine completely bossed the midfield, much to my frustration.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 04 Nov 22 10.40am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

A wonderful goal from nostalgic times. Had quite a bit of 'contact' with Hereford, used to go to loads of Harriers matches and Hereford were a rival for a while. Have a vague felling the last I was at Hereford was either the FA Trophy or Welsh Cup. The Welsh Cup with Harriers used to be pretty mad. Would have been 80s.

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Ronnie Radford