You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Our medical team - Can they spot a wrong un?
November 27 2022 4.33pm

Our medical team - Can they spot a wrong un?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View NE14T's Profile NE14T Flag 04 Nov 22 9.48pm Send a Private Message to NE14T Add NE14T as a friend

I doubt it…

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there were choirs of us calling for our medical team to dig deeper into both the Ferguson and Chris Richards signing but they obviously didn’t.

Is there a really gullible or weak medical man making these bum decisions?

Who is it? I feel like going into the physio room, dragging him out by the ear and announcing in a loud voice “I’ve got him”

 


The beatings will stop when morale improves.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag London 05 Nov 22 8.07am Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by NE14T

I doubt it…

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there were choirs of us calling for our medical team to dig deeper into both the Ferguson and Chris Richards signing but they obviously didn’t.

Is there a really gullible or weak medical man making these bum decisions?

Who is it? I feel like going into the physio room, dragging him out by the ear and announcing in a loud voice “I’ve got him”

Careful. He’d probably go down injured and be off for three months.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 05 Nov 22 3.39pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Wickham just banged in 2 today. Maybe he’s finally found a physio that works for him.

Given the rate that we pick up training injuries and sustained long term injuries you do feel there is an issue with either our training or the treatment given.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dg1937's Profile dg1937 Flag 05 Nov 22 5.06pm Send a Private Message to dg1937 Add dg1937 as a friend

I’m not sure I’d describe either Ferguson or Richards as a ‘wrong un’.

We signed Ferguson injured, we knew he was injured, as a result we got a very promising young player for a nominal fee (I recall he was out of contract so it was set by a tribunal). Basically we took a gamble and it hasn’t paid off, yet. It may never pay off but Palace have shown themselves willing to be patient (e.g. Wickham) beyond the point most supporters thought sensible. It wouldn’t surprise me if Ferguson gets an extension, particularly if he can stay fit for the next few months.

My recollection is that there were known injury issues with Richards too. Knowing that, we chose to take a punt gambling that the upside (getting a good young defender at a relatively cheap price) outweighed the downside (he would turn out to be a dud).

Unless the medical team said ‘he’s 100% fine’ or didn’t offer a balanced assessment of the risks, calling for them to be ‘dragged out by the ear’ is harsh - none of us knows what the discussion was that led to any of these decisions and it’s unlikely we ever will.

I do also query whether we get more training injuries than other clubs, unless you know the stats for other clubs (I don’t) it is impossible to say either way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View pssguy's Profile pssguy Flag 05 Nov 22 5.14pm Send a Private Message to pssguy Add pssguy as a friend

Originally posted by dg1937

I’m not sure I’d describe either Ferguson or Richards as a ‘wrong un’.

We signed Ferguson injured, we knew he was injured, as a result we got a very promising young player for a nominal fee (I recall he was out of contract so it was set by a tribunal). Basically we took a gamble and it hasn’t paid off, yet. It may never pay off but Palace have shown themselves willing to be patient (e.g. Wickham) beyond the point most supporters thought sensible. It wouldn’t surprise me if Ferguson gets an extension, particularly if he can stay fit for the next few months.

My recollection is that there were known injury issues with Richards too. Knowing that, we chose to take a punt gambling that the upside (getting a good young defender at a relatively cheap price) outweighed the downside (he would turn out to be a dud).

Unless the medical team said ‘he’s 100% fine’ or didn’t offer a balanced assessment of the risks, calling for them to be ‘dragged out by the ear’ is harsh - none of us knows what the discussion was that led to any of these decisions and it’s unlikely we ever will.

I do also query whether we get more training injuries than other clubs, unless you know the stats for other clubs (I don’t) it is impossible to say either way.

I think these are all good points, Richards better come good though. He cost €12,000,000 and we are committed to him for five years

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elpis's Profile Elpis Flag In a pub 05 Nov 22 5.41pm Send a Private Message to Elpis Add Elpis as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

Wickham just banged in 2 today. Maybe he’s finally found a physio that works for him.

Given the rate that we pick up training injuries and sustained long term injuries you do feel there is an issue with either our training or the treatment given.

No hes found a level he can play at given his fitness . He hardly got above walking pace all game . Great strike for the second though , really rated Wickham ,shame .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 05 Nov 22 6.04pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

I get the impression that signing players with known injury issues is more than a risk, it's a false economy.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 05 Nov 22 6.09pm Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by NE14T

I doubt it…

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there were choirs of us calling for our medical team to dig deeper into both the Ferguson and Chris Richards signing but they obviously didn’t.

Is there a really gullible or weak medical man making these bum decisions?

Who is it? I feel like going into the physio room, dragging him out by the ear and announcing in a loud voice “I’ve got him”

I don't know why, but I have always assumed that medical assessments were carried out 'elsewhere', rather than 'in-house', possibly sending them off to a private hospital/clinic for full overhaul (x-rays,echocardiograms etc. that they wouldn't have the equipment to do at the club)

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 05 Nov 22 6.36pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by becky

I don't know why, but I have always assumed that medical assessments were carried out 'elsewhere', rather than 'in-house', possibly sending them off to a private hospital/clinic for full overhaul (x-rays,echocardiograms etc. that they wouldn't have the equipment to do at the club)

I suspect a medical assessment is just that. The team will tell the club what they have discovered it is up to the club what they do with the information. Possibly the club doctor might have input on their findings.

And who knows our club doctor might have read the assessments and told the club not sign them and they ignore him anyway, pure speculation on my part we simply don't know.

Edited by Badger11 (05 Nov 2022 6.38pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag London 05 Nov 22 6.45pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Feel sorry for Richards and dare I say it Ferguson, both gonna miss the World Cup. I know Ferguson was further off but people speak very highly of him.
Both have still got every chance of making it to the very top. They are both still very young. Anything could happen. Let’s hope it’s good. Don’t give up on them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NE14T's Profile NE14T Flag 06 Nov 22 9.41am Send a Private Message to NE14T Add NE14T as a friend

Fair enough. I wish both lads well and full fitness soon.

Just frustrated with spending good money and not seeing them play.

 


The beatings will stop when morale improves.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View whatton's Profile whatton Flag Stirling 06 Nov 22 10.49am Send a Private Message to whatton Add whatton as a friend

Originally posted by Elpis

No hes found a level he can play at given his fitness . He hardly got above walking pace all game . Great strike for the second though , really rated Wickham ,shame .

Video on the BBC. Goal of the Season contender. Well done Connor!

[Link]

 


RGW

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 


Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Our medical team - Can they spot a wrong un?