You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > I'm offended!
November 30 2022 3.58am

I'm offended!

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 23 Nov 22 2.27pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Is there really an objective way to categorise that which is and that which is not offensive? In any instance, can a logical conclusion be reached? Is the 'grey' in this area too broad and therefore causing some, particularly in the media and advertising, to go mad?

Case in point the Waitrose ad - [Link]

Is the mere reference to, or mentioning of something, enough to cause such emotional trauma to certain individuals that absolutely everything has to be censored for every possible member of a global audience?

My answer to the above is no. It's impossible in any circumstance. I have traumas in my earlier life, I have troubles now, I do not however expect every single individual, organisation, instance that I encounter to cater to my delicacy. That's life unfortunately. I concentrate on my own mental wellbeing in such circumstances. Not for some apparently. The advert in the link above for me is not about the complaint, nor is it endorsing or promoting the related activity however it still falls afoul of some evidently and the business ultimately found it necessary to amend it as a result.

It does make me laugh that the above case is considered so acceptable however whilst many still die from alcoholism, which along with the likes of gambling causes so much heartache, tragedy and death in the world, this is apparently perfectly fine to advertise. It's an awful, illogical and mindbending culture.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 23 Nov 22 3.15pm Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

People cannot wait to be offended and Institutions and large organisations cannot wait to find something to comment on to "put them in a good light"!
Social media is as always to blame - without it there wouldn't be a vehicle for these numpties.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 23 Nov 22 3.24pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

[Link]

Sums it up nicely. Mods close thread....

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 23 Nov 22 3.34pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

Is there really an objective way to categorise that which is and that which is not offensive? In any instance, can a logical conclusion be reached? Is the 'grey' in this area too broad and therefore causing some, particularly in the media and advertising, to go mad?

Case in point the Waitrose ad - [Link]

Is the mere reference to, or mentioning of something, enough to cause such emotional trauma to certain individuals that absolutely everything has to be censored for every possible member of a global audience?

My answer to the above is no. It's impossible in any circumstance. I have traumas in my earlier life, I have troubles now, I do not however expect every single individual, organisation, instance that I encounter to cater to my delicacy. That's life unfortunately. I concentrate on my own mental wellbeing in such circumstances. Not for some apparently. The advert in the link above for me is not about the complaint, nor is it endorsing or promoting the related activity however it still falls afoul of some evidently and the business ultimately found it necessary to amend it as a result.

It does make me laugh that the above case is considered so acceptable however whilst many still die from alcoholism, which along with the likes of gambling causes so much heartache, tragedy and death in the world, this is apparently perfectly fine to advertise. It's an awful, illogical and mindbending culture.

Indeed sir, society has been heading on a ridiculous direction for some considerable time.

It's honestly somewhat morbidly fascinating to observe it....like a car crash that involves everyone to some extent.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 23 Nov 22 3.34pm Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

I think Elton John should apologise for suggesting that Sorry seems to be the hardest word.

As an apologist, I'm offended.

I'm sorry if that comes across badly.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 23 Nov 22 3.35pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Jimenez

[Link]

Sums it up nicely. Mods close thread....

Satire often speaks the greatest truths.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 23 Nov 22 3.39pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

People cannot wait to be offended and Institutions and large organisations cannot wait to find something to comment on to "put them in a good light"!
Social media is as always to blame - without it there wouldn't be a vehicle for these numpties.

Yep, social media is a blessing and a curse....which is essentially heading towards being a control mechanism.

Twitter is an example of an attempted break, but I'm sure we will see Musk being ruthlessly attacked by the socially 'liberal' authoritarians using lawfare and activist judges.

Edited by Stirlingsays (23 Nov 2022 3.40pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 23 Nov 22 3.49pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

as an atheist, i find those Christian Crusaders deeply offensive....

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 23 Nov 22 4.12pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

People cannot wait to be offended and Institutions and large organisations cannot wait to find something to comment on to "put them in a good light"!
Social media is as always to blame - without it there wouldn't be a vehicle for these numpties.

Of course and this applies to individuals too.

When did being empathetic, kind or even just polite become such a rare and therefore valued commodity to manifest a need to parade and of course, and more importantly, feign it constantly?

There is no doubt sensitivity is needed around a great deal of things and some things are so outrageously offensive they need not pointing out however there is a whole new industry around this which for me only serves three groups:

1. Those set to gain from it either financially or otherwise
2. Those so fragile and bereft of realism in life who see this as a condoning of their condition
3. Those so starved of attention, personality or achievement who desperately need an easy channel through which to find it.

My concern is for future generations and the overtaking of social interactions by technology and therefore those controlling it. I am waiting for a day when some youngster, invited for dinner at my own house, tells me I should not refer to it as a 'salt shaker' due to their great, great grandfather having Parkinson's.

Edited by Nicholas91 (23 Nov 2022 4.13pm)

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View martin2412's Profile martin2412 Flag The Big Wide World 23 Nov 22 4.21pm Send a Private Message to martin2412 Add martin2412 as a friend

I've given up worrying about offending anyone now, as there seems to be a lot of people just getting off on it.

Fvck the lot of 'em !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 23 Nov 22 4.28pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

Of course and this applies to individuals too.

When did being empathetic, kind or even just polite become such a rare and therefore valued commodity to manifest a need to parade and of course, and more importantly, feign it constantly?

There is no doubt sensitivity is needed around a great deal of things and some things are so outrageously offensive they need not pointing out however there is a whole new industry around this which for me only serves three groups:

1. Those set to gain from it either financially or otherwise
2. Those so fragile and bereft of realism in life who see this as a condoning of their condition
3. Those so starved of attention, personality or achievement who desperately need an easy channel through which to find it.

My concern is for future generations and the overtaking of social interactions by technology and therefore those controlling it. I am waiting for a day when some youngster, invited for dinner at my own house, tells me I should not refer to it as a 'salt shaker' due to their great, great grandfather having Parkinson's.

Edited by Nicholas91 (23 Nov 2022 4.13pm)

3. I think this is the biggest group. People playing the victim so it makes them interesting and worthy of attention.

1. People will always see an opportunity to make money whether it's a Diversity role or providing a service to the public e.g. Deliveroo. More fool the rest of us for not seeing between nonsense and usefulness.

2. Sadly some people have mental health issues.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 23 Nov 22 4.30pm Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

Good attitude!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > I'm offended!