You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Hypothetical Wilf
January 30 2023 11.42am

Hypothetical Wilf

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 7 of 8 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

 

View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Online Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 28 Dec 22 5.38pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Far away fan

Be happy when Zaha, his miserable face all the time gets on my nerves, money he's on I think just clear off and Palace move forward without that miserable player.

Just my opinion, but you show a breathtaking lack of understanding on what makes some players tick.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vaibow's Profile Vaibow Flag vancouver/croydon 28 Dec 22 8.00pm Send a Private Message to Vaibow Add Vaibow as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

We'll have to agree to disagree on Zaha. By letting him leave in January, there is no guarantee that Palace will invest in this window. And we would not receive significant money for him either.
I don't know of any club that would willingly part company with their top goal scorer at this stage of the season.

He isn't being utilised consistently well. He's had some success playing down the middle but you could see within the opening 10 minutes against Fulham that it wasn't going to work.

I agree that we have not progressed from the promise of last season. The main difference in the squad is that we have lost Gallagher, Kouyate and MacArthur without adequate replacements. This season smacks of being content with a mid table place and largely making do with the unbalanced squad that we have.

I hope Steve Parish has noted the next 4 league fixtures after Bournemouth...

I'm sure I never said sell this jan, any club would be mad too when they can get him in the summer for less, a lot less.

My argument was Wilf should have been sold couple years back and we invest and move on in the mean time with the hope (yup, it is palace after all) that by now we have a plan a and plan b.

It's hard to invest around wilf if wilf won't be there next season, unless a like for like replacement is waiting in the wings or located.

The summer we sold AWB was the optimum time to sell wilf, losing two would have initially hurt, but AWB was a freak of nature stroke of luck, so 50 mil was too good to turn down and then whatever we got for Wilf, that total money 70/80 mil could have gone back into 3/5 players but, with Roy at the helm, it probably wasn't the right time to invest as his ideas may not have matched the future plans.

It's fair to say we haven't even began to rebuild.. RB, CB, Midfield all needs a good look at.

Edited by Vaibow (28 Dec 2022 8.01pm)

 


This was once a quality forum....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DANGERCLOSE's Profile DANGERCLOSE Flag london 09 Jan 23 10.06pm Send a Private Message to DANGERCLOSE Add DANGERCLOSE as a friend

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 10 Jan 23 10.43am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

IMO the reporter was part right and part wrong.

If he wanted to really kick on he would have needed to move at 26 to get his prime at a big club.

So no, I don't think that a top team is going to build a team around him. But having a player like Wilf in your squad, for free, should be a decent proposition to most teams out there.

I must admit, if he has desires to play for a top team I cant see anything but him moving on in the summer.

Lets enjoy him whilst we can.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 19 Jan 23 1.31pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

So Chelsea has spent 80 on the Ukrainian winger pipping Arsenal who have now turned their attention to Trossard at Brighton.

Meanwhile Spurs have had a bid rejected for Roma's Nicolo Zaniolo

Of course none of them are beating a path to palace to sign Zaha.

Zaha hasn't played well for a while however he is clearly not 100% fit as we can see from his knee bandage.

Unless his wants to go for the money to clubs like Everton and West Ham I just don't see any of the big teams wanting him.

So stay with us Wilf where you get game time and respect from the fans.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 19 Jan 23 3.12pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

So Chelsea has spent 80 on the Ukrainian winger pipping Arsenal who have now turned their attention to Trossard at Brighton.

Meanwhile Spurs have had a bid rejected for Roma's Nicolo Zaniolo

Of course none of them are beating a path to palace to sign Zaha.

Zaha hasn't played well for a while however he is clearly not 100% fit as we can see from his knee bandage.

Unless his wants to go for the money to clubs like Everton and West Ham I just don't see any of the big teams wanting him.

So stay with us Wilf where you get game time and respect from the fans.


Bargain - why didn't we get him at that price?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Online Flag Lanzarote 19 Jan 23 5.08pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

So Chelsea has spent 80 on the Ukrainian winger pipping Arsenal who have now turned their attention to Trossard at Brighton.

Meanwhile Spurs have had a bid rejected for Roma's Nicolo Zaniolo

Of course none of them are beating a path to palace to sign Zaha.

Zaha hasn't played well for a while however he is clearly not 100% fit as we can see from his knee bandage.

Unless his wants to go for the money to clubs like Everton and West Ham I just don't see any of the big teams wanting him.

So stay with us Wilf where you get game time and respect from the fans.

I would not give him a three year contract on his current salary, 18m, plus a signing fee

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View stancummins's Profile stancummins Flag 19 Jan 23 8.27pm Send a Private Message to stancummins Add stancummins as a friend

Sorry but its best now for both parties to go their separate ways . He appears to be a shadow of his former self , his close control and first touch are not as good and he has completely lost his pace as was shown in the first half when Erickson burnt him off. I also think him being here is holding up the development of players like Olise and Eze . I think he may flourish if he was a small fish in a big pond at this time of his career whether in England or abroad ,it would also free up monies even if it was just his salary to re invest

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 19 Jan 23 8.54pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by stancummins

Sorry but its best now for both parties to go their separate ways . He appears to be a shadow of his former self , his close control and first touch are not as good and he has completely lost his pace as was shown in the first half when Erickson burnt him off. I also think him being here is holding up the development of players like Olise and Eze . I think he may flourish if he was a small fish in a big pond at this time of his career whether in England or abroad ,it would also free up monies even if it was just his salary to re invest

Totally agree. Even considering his place as one of the greats and a talisman etc, the reality is what he produces on the pitch and what he earns are gulfs apart and are not in keeping with a sensible wage structure at the club.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View grumpymort's Profile grumpymort Flag UK/Thailand 20 Jan 23 3.39pm Send a Private Message to grumpymort Add grumpymort as a friend

Originally posted by stancummins

Sorry but its best now for both parties to go their separate ways . He appears to be a shadow of his former self , his close control and first touch are not as good and he has completely lost his pace as was shown in the first half when Erickson burnt him off. I also think him being here is holding up the development of players like Olise and Eze . I think he may flourish if he was a small fish in a big pond at this time of his career whether in England or abroad ,it would also free up monies even if it was just his salary to re invest


This and it's a shame we didn't sell him this window to get some cash for him.

PV needs to drop him maybe use as an impact sub for a few games.

 


Real-Debrid (Multi-Host) - [Link]
SurfShark (VPN) - [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Online Flag New Mills 20 Jan 23 4.16pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by stancummins

Sorry but its best now for both parties to go their separate ways . He appears to be a shadow of his former self , his close control and first touch are not as good and he has completely lost his pace as was shown in the first half when Erickson burnt him off. I also think him being here is holding up the development of players like Olise and Eze . I think he may flourish if he was a small fish in a big pond at this time of his career whether in England or abroad ,it would also free up monies even if it was just his salary to re invest

Have to say i was shock that Erickson, who is not the quickest, overtook him so quickly. Even at the end despite a brilliant tackle by AWB he looked slow chasing that ball.

On the converse Olise and Eze are still very inconsistent and go missing for large periods of games, so Wilf is still an important player for us.

I have said for about 3 years now he will go when his contract runs out and i haven't changed my opinion.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 20 Jan 23 4.48pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by Vaibow

I'm sure I never said sell this jan, any club would be mad too when they can get him in the summer for less, a lot less.

My argument was Wilf should have been sold couple years back and we invest and move on in the mean time with the hope (yup, it is palace after all) that by now we have a plan a and plan b.

It's hard to invest around wilf if wilf won't be there next season, unless a like for like replacement is waiting in the wings or located.

The summer we sold AWB was the optimum time to sell wilf, losing two would have initially hurt, but AWB was a freak of nature stroke of luck, so 50 mil was too good to turn down and then whatever we got for Wilf, that total money 70/80 mil could have gone back into 3/5 players but, with Roy at the helm, it probably wasn't the right time to invest as his ideas may not have matched the future plans.

It's fair to say we haven't even began to rebuild.. RB, CB, Midfield all needs a good look at.

Edited by Vaibow (28 Dec 2022 8.01pm)

If he'd been sold a couple of years back, we'd be a couple of years into playing in the Championship again - I know hypothetically we invest that money and build a super team, but in reality, no amount of money would have given us access to a player of Wilf's quality in the final third, which is the hardest and most expensive part of a team for clubs our size to fill.

The reason we were much more willing to move on AWB is simply we don't need a 50m RB. A match-winner at the attacking end of the pitch however... invaluable and irreplaceable for our club our size.

I think our reliance on Wilf over the past few seasons is really understated by a lot of our fan base. No doubt we're seeing his powers declining, but I think he's still consistently our most dangerous player, our best finisher, and a bloke who clearly gets the club.

Pay him what he wants and build the statue.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 7 of 8 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Hypothetical Wilf